Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

33 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Never know what Cuse team is going to show up on any given night.  UNC is probably playing the best basketball in the country right now, but I think we can beat them if we shoot well.

The scary part about Carolina is that they beat Dook by 16 and FSU by 18 without shooting the three well at all.  If you had given me their stats from three at the beginning of last week I'd have predicted 0-2.

Anyway, I am rooting for Syracuse to make the tournament so I hope they play well.  Just not well enough...  ;)

10 minutes ago, eball said:

The scary part about Carolina is that they beat Dook by 16 and FSU by 18 without shooting the three well at all.  If you had given me their stats from three at the beginning of last week I'd have predicted 0-2.

Anyway, I am rooting for Syracuse to make the tournament so I hope they play well.  Just not well enough...  ;)

Cheers, man.  They will have to game plan differently against the 2-3, and yes they HAVE the talent to win without the long ball, but they’re going to need to establish the perimeter shot to beat the zone, IMO.  Tough team to get penetration on with the length of our guards.

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Cheers, man.  They will have to game plan differently against the 2-3, and yes they HAVE the talent to win without the long ball, but they’re going to need to establish the perimeter shot to beat the zone, IMO.  Tough team to get penetration on with the length of our guards.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insidetheloudhouse.com/2019/02/24/syracuse-basketball-frank-howard-will-return-natural-position-says-jim-boeheim/amp/

holy s*** man ... you got your wish...

Frank being moved to SG

On 2/23/2019 at 3:40 PM, Steptide said:

Crappy loss. Cuse play crappy the last 10 mins. Coulda had them 

That's what happens when you can't shoot for crap.

Syracuse has ALWAYS irritated me with free throw shooting.

We actually outplayed Duke on Saturday, too.  They really only won because of JT Barrett.

14 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That's what happens when you can't shoot for crap.

Syracuse has ALWAYS irritated me with free throw shooting.

We actually outplayed Duke on Saturday, too.  They really only won because of JT Barrett.

It'd help if cuse had a center that could do anything. Their inside game is almost non existent. I hope not, but I could see north Carolina beating them tonight by 30

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

It'd help if cuse had a center that could do anything. Their inside game is almost non existent. I hope not, but I could see north Carolina beating them tonight by 30

I think we'll know within the first 7-8 minutes what sort of game it will be.  If Carolina comes out shooting their "normal" percentage from three it could be a long night for Cuse...if they are cold and have to beat that zone in other ways, it will be a tight one.

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Good effort but starting the second half flat killed them

i would like to see Tyus in attack mode all game... he always had the ability to take over a game 

That’s why Tyus belongs at PG.  He’s better at shooting contested shots and shots off the bounce than he is at “set” shots.

Koby White was unreal.  I wasn’t all that impressed with anyone else on the UNC team.  Free throws?!  Really?!  Pisses me off.

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

That’s why Tyus belongs at PG.  He’s better at shooting contested shots and shots off the bounce than he is at “set” shots.

Koby White was unreal.  I wasn’t all that impressed with anyone else on the UNC team.  Free throws?!  Really?!  Pisses me off.

Yea he is tremendous off the dribble but a 2 guard should be which is his natural spot... He can attack the basket from the 1 or 2... he just doesn’t always seem to want to takeover 

Frank can’t drive which was his best asset and That makes Tyus play the 1 and exert more energy 

side note: You are still surprised SU can’t make free throws? It’s been about 25 years of that ?

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Free throw shooting...

AGAIN!!! :doh:

I call shenanigans to anyone saying Boeheim emphasizes free throw fundamentals. Brissett is awful when he shouldn't be and Battle is super inconsistent.

Yea his teams as a whole are usually poor FT shooting teams

BUT

Chukwu has improved tenfold and actually has a clean release now

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea his teams as a whole are usually poor FT shooting teams

BUT

Chukwu has improved tenfold and actually has a clean release now

Uhhh...have you seen Chukwu shoot free throws this season?  He needs more coaching.  Brissett is terrible from the line, and Battle is very inconsistent.

8 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Uhhh...have you seen Chukwu shoot free throws this season?  He needs more coaching.  Brissett is terrible from the line, and Battle is very inconsistent.

Do you remember chukwu as a RS sophomore shooting FTs? He was like 0-10 or something 

he has been shooting over 60% the last 2 years.. that is pretty good for a 7’2 Center who when he came in couldn’t hit the back side of a barn.. he definitely improved 

atleast on a tyson chandler level for FTs... not talkin Yao Ming here

Edited by Buffalo716

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Do you remember chukwu as a RS sophomore shooting FTs? He was like 0-10 or something 

he has been shooting over 60% the last 2 years.. that is pretty good for a 7’2 Center... he definitely improved 

Chukwu has regressed this year in all facets of his game, sadly.  Yes, he did improve his FT shot since his RS sophomore season.

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Chukwu has regressed this year in all facets of his game, sadly.  Yes, he did improve his FT shot since his RS sophomore season.

He is a complete traaim wreck

its sad to say that the best part of his game might be FTs lol when he is on he’s a good defender

but he can’t catch the ball, weak hands, no post moves and he commits dumb fouls... and he’s a 5th year

7 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Unfortunately I was unable to see this game due to a family matter but I kept up with the score/stats as it was progressing.  Sounds like it went about the way I expected if Carolina as a whole was not sharp from three.  They crashed the boards hard, worked to get inside, and Koby carried the burden.  Cuse stayed in the game because they shot the ball well, but Carolina owned the boards and the free throw stripe.  If Cuse shoots their "normal" FG % (6 points lower) this is a blowout.  But the Orange can hold their heads high walking out of Chapel Hill with a "good" road loss.

I was hesitant to believe it a few weeks ago, but Carolina is now a legitimate Final Four threat and could certainly win it all -- despite not having any "impressive" players besides White.  ;)

Edited by eball

15 hours ago, eball said:

Unfortunately I was unable to see this game due to a family matter but I kept up with the score/stats as it was progressing.  Sounds like it went about the way I expected if Carolina as a whole was not sharp from three.  They crashed the boards hard, worked to get inside, and Koby carried the burden.  Cuse stayed in the game because they shot the ball well, but Carolina owned the boards and the free throw stripe.  If Cuse shoots their "normal" FG % (6 points lower) this is a blowout.  But the Orange can hold their heads high walking out of Chapel Hill with a "good" road loss.

I was hesitant to believe it a few weeks ago, but Carolina is now a legitimate Final Four threat and could certainly win it all -- despite not having any "impressive" players besides White.  ;)

You know that I know that I didn’t mean it like....whatever ?

Facing Duke you see Zion Williamson, Barrett,  Reddish, and Young.  Clearly elite, NBA ready talent.

Facing UNC you notice White.  He is a gamer, although he’s going to have to be a spectacular shooter to make it in the NBA (I wouldn’t bet against him).  I guess I expected to see a little more from Johnson and Little.  But hey, good to be a Heels fan right now!

29 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Facing Duke you see Zion Williamson, Barrett,  Reddish, and Young.  Clearly elite, NBA ready talent.

Facing UNC you notice White.  He is a gamer, although he’s going to have to be a spectacular shooter to make it in the NBA (I wouldn’t bet against him).  I guess I expected to see a little more from Johnson and Little.  But hey, good to be a Heels fan right now!

Luke Maye may not be an elite NBA prospect but he has been a heck of a baller for Roy for years 

29 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Luke Maye may not be an elite NBA prospect but he has been a heck of a baller for Roy for years 

White is a baller tho... true Freshmen right? He is definitely there best prospect 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Ha ha, I know, that's why I gave you the wink.  On the current UNC roster there are probably only three or four guys who I think have a decent NBA career ahead of them -- White, Little, Cam Johnson, and (maybe) Maye.  Johnson is the sneaky one -- he really can score from anywhere.  I could see him having a Danny Green type of career.

I've gone from enjoying the heck out of White to now hoping he doesn't leave after one year!

On 2/27/2019 at 11:10 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Scottie-Barnes-46039731/

what do you know about the prospects of signing this beast

obviously he will be highly recruited by everyone but he WANTS PLAYING TIME

We will have a wing open for him

On 2/27/2019 at 11:10 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Hammer any thoughts or insights on Scottie Barnes? 

2020 top 5 player Cuse offered... would be a great fit

On 3/1/2019 at 12:55 AM, Buffalo716 said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Scottie-Barnes-46039731/

what do you know about the prospects of signing this beast

obviously he will be highly recruited by everyone but he WANTS PLAYING TIME

We will have a wing open for him

I would say our chances are like one in a million ?

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

well ok....

247 experts should change their predictions ?

From what I can gather his recruitment went really quickly.  I think we were one of the first to offer, then Oregon, then Kentucky ?, then things got out of hand.  I don’t think there was much interest on his end.  He’s going to be a beast though.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

From what I can gather his recruitment went really quickly.  I think we were one of the first to offer, then Oregon, then Kentucky ?, then things got out of hand.  I don’t think there was much interest on his end.  He’s going to be a beast though.

Definitely that’s why I was interested...

he seems to be a perfect 2-3 wing player and I thought there might be a chance

im starting to feel like Jim B is having trouble recruiting the 5* guys now

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Definitely that’s why I was interested...

he seems to be a perfect 2-3 wing player and I thought there might be a chance

im starting to feel like Jim B is having trouble recruiting the 5* guys now

I’ve heard a lot of Malachi Rich comparisons. Yeah, Hop appears to have been the recruiting genius that landed most of those big fish.  I think Red Autry and GMac do their best, but they aren’t Hop.  We kept the wrong coach!

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’ve heard a lot of Malachi Rich comparisons. Yeah, Hop appears to have been the recruiting genius that landed most of those big fish.  I think Red Autry and GMac do their best, but they aren’t Hop.  We kept the wrong coach!

That makes me sad and makes me think the good days are over

Jimmy really needs to ramp it up these next few years