Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

1 minute ago, eball said:

And if you read my posts they mention only Roy.  I truly believe Roy had no knowledge of the paper classes.  He simply told players they needed to go to class or they would be ineligible, and that the team had academic advisors to assist the players.  I don't know what any of those advisors did or didn't know about the "paper classes" and I think it's reasonable that the coaching staff didn't concern themselves with the actual classwork.  It's probably largely a matter of semantics regarding who "knew" something vs. who purposefully didn't want or try to know.  I think Roy preaches academics and accountability to his players (and believes it) but delegates the rest of it to the academic advisors.

In any event, it was an ugly, embarrassing matter for UNC no matter how you slice it.  I'm simply not willing to place blame upon Roy for it.

Fair enough, man.  Enjoy your season.  Looks like Dook could beat many NBA teams.

2 hours ago, eball said:

And if you read my posts they mention only Roy.  I truly believe Roy had no knowledge of the paper classes.  He simply told players they needed to go to class or they would be ineligible, and that the team had academic advisors to assist the players.  I don't know what any of those advisors did or didn't know about the "paper classes" and I think it's reasonable that the coaching staff didn't concern themselves with the actual classwork.  It's probably largely a matter of semantics regarding who "knew" something vs. who purposefully didn't want or try to know.  I think Roy preaches academics and accountability to his players (and believes it) but delegates the rest of it to the academic advisors.

In any event, it was an ugly, embarrassing matter for UNC no matter how you slice it.  I'm simply not willing to place blame upon Roy for it.

I'm not looking to smear Roy who I think is a decent fellow. But a basketball team is not like a football team because of the smaller number of players to monitor.. There is no excuse for a coach of a college team not to know in general what is going on with his players. Even the support staff of a basketball team is small compared to a football operation. He should have been in regular contact with the advisers and know which players were academically struggling and those who didn't need to be supervised. The reality is that the coach knows when he recruits his players which ones will academically struggle and which will thrive. So there should be no surprise who the players are that need the most support. 

With respect to the issue of who knew or purposefully didn't want to know I don't accept that there is a meaningful difference. When you are in a position of authority it is your job to know. Willful ignorance  or just plain ignorance in my view shouldn't alter the judgment for the person who is the boss i.e. Roy Williams. Preaching to players means little to them if they know you are not actually seriously monitoring them. 

In my view (judgmental as it may be) he was concerned with keeping his players eligible and not seriously interested in what they were really doing academically. That attitude isn't unusual in the  major college ranks.. But that doesn't mean that he wasn't enabling this sham enterprise and should be absolved of responsibility. When you are the boss you are the boss. 

On 11/7/2018 at 3:47 AM, ChevyVanMiller said:

Brissett looked like a man amongst boys as 'Cuse rolls in opener.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401082781

Yes!  Let's get this conversation back on The Cuse track here.  My take from the EWU game is that they are really trying to figure out how to play on offense right now and haven't found a mojo with the PG's being out with injuries.  Also, Tyus has yet to do anything in the first three games.  Would love to see him light it up one of these games before they go down to NYC for that tournament.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Cuse goes to 2-0 after holding off Morehead (insert Beavis and Butthead joke here) State. Never thought I'd write this, but they really need Frank Howard back out there.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401082782

I agree with you on the PG situation.  Man that first half last night was brutal.  Freaking turnovers were killing us, no flow to the offense.  Give MS credit in keeping it close too with tough d.  The shirts their fans were wearing were hilarious:

MORE

HEAD

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/6/2018 at 1:28 PM, eball said:

UNC didn't get away with academic fraud.  It was a huge embarrassment to the school's academic reputation, and with respect to sports they paid dearly in YEARS of having it hang over their heads during recruiting season for both basketball and football.  They had a local paper (Raleigh N&O) leading the witch hunt.  And I'm fairly certain you don't know the half of the story anyway.  If the NCAA could have proven the basketball program had anything to do with the scam classes they'd have nailed them to the wall.  But carry on.

Witch hunt ? damn that’s some good stuff there. They were filthy and the got off with less than a slap on the wrist. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Cuse goes to 2-0 after holding off Morehead (insert Beavis and Butthead joke here) State. Never thought I'd write this, but they really need Frank Howard back out there.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401082782

In the early 80's I live in Charleston WV. Jay Leno, still just a working comic, played a gig there. A young couple who were students at Morehead State sat in the front row and, unfortunately, told Jay where they went to school. Half the show was him busting on them.

• Like (+1) 1

A lot of you guys will get to see Cuse for the first time tonight.  Here is what I've seen so far (I'm in my seats so some of what I've seen might not match stats - just one guy sitting at the dome)

Brissett is an animal this year.  He is the go to player for the team.  He is much more aggressive this year and it is nice to see.  I thought coming into the year it would be Battle's team but it is clearly Brissett's.

Tyus Battle looks like he is still trying to find his place.  First half of last game he was nowhere to be found.  Second half it looked like he started finding himself andexploded.

Jalen Carey is really frustrating to watch.  He makes freshman mistakes but then looks aloof.  Him "learning" from Franklin is a scary idea.  I couldn't believe Boeheim let him stay in after some of his bonehead plays that were frustrating on their own being followed with not hustling back.

Elijah Hughes is already my favorite player on the team.  He "isn't afraid of the moment" and has looked like he belongs.  He is a highlight reel and it looks like the team feeds off of his energy.  We've already got some timely charges, chase down blocks, and all around exciting play.  For some reason I keep calling him Elijah Strong even though I know it isn't his name lol.

Dolezaj is Doleazaj.  Cuse fans love their scrappy white guy.  Chukwu is still Chukwu and can frustrate with his hands and then pull a monster rebound/putback.  Sidibe is back and I honestly forgot about him but the ability for them to spell each other is huge.  The depth along the front line is something that will greatly benefit the team come February/March.    The depth on this team in general is the best it has been in a long while.  I didn't even mention Buddy or Franklin.  Brissett and Battle returning make this team one that will be in the top 15 if not top 10 all year and that is without seeing what Frank brings to the team this year.  They won't beat Duke imo but they will compete with every other team on the schedule this year.  Should be an exciting year!

Edited by section122
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, section122 said:

A lot of you guys will get to see Cuse for the first time tonight.  Here is what I've seen so far (I'm in my seats so some of what I've seen might not match stats - just one guy sitting at the dome)

Brissett is an animal this year.  He is the go to player for the team.  He is much more aggressive this year and it is nice to see.  I thought coming into the year it would be Battle's team but it is clearly Brissett's.

Tyus Battle looks like he is still trying to find his place.  First half of last game he was nowhere to be found.  Second half it looked like he started finding himself andexploded.

Jalen Carey is really frustrating to watch.  He makes freshman mistakes but then looks aloof.  Him "learning" from Franklin is a scary idea.  I couldn't believe Boeheim let him stay in after some of his bonehead plays that were frustrating on their own being followed with not hustling back.

Elijah Hughes is already my favorite player on the team.  He "isn't afraid of the moment" and has looked like he belongs.  He is a highlight reel and it looks like the team feeds off of his energy.  We've already got some timely charges, chase down blocks, and all around exciting play.  For some reason I keep calling him Elijah Strong even though I know it isn't his name lol.

Dolezaj is Doleazaj.  Cuse fans love their scrappy white guy.  Chukwu is still Chukwu and can frustrate with his hands and then pull a monster rebound/putback.  Sidibe is back and I honestly forgot about him but the ability for them to spell each other is huge.  The depth along the front line is something that will greatly benefit the team come February/March.    The depth on this team in general is the best it has been in a long while.  I didn't even mention Buddy or Franklin.  Brissett and Battle returning make this team one that will be in the top 15 if not top 10 all year and that is without seeing what Frank brings to the team this year.  They won't beat Duke imo but they will compete with every other team on the schedule this year.  Should be an exciting year!

Chukwu's free throws have improved greatly, will be a big help this year

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Carey is really really sloppy so far this year... lot of people were ready to anoint him the starting PG and run Frank out of town

and I always said not so fast ... this team needs Franklin back

Bad time to start him, should have the last two games if you wanted to get him prepared for this one

12 hours ago, Steptide said:

This is a bad loss for cuse. 

Something is very wrong when your freshman PG scores 24 points and leads the team in rebounds, but has zero assists and turns the rock over 6 times.

Nice to see some positive things from our young guard, but it’s clear that Frank Howard needs to be back out there to help run the offense.  Battle and Brissett were pretty much non-existant last night.  Hughes flashed with some key shots, but went missing for periods of time as well.

Just flat out got out played, out hustled, and UCONN shot the ball really well.  

Danny Hurley is fugging annoying.

About to grab some breakfast and head to the Blarney for a couple bloody marys.  Back to the garden for Cuse v Oregon at 4:30!!  Let’s get it back on track!

24 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Something is very wrong when your freshman PG scores 24 points and leads the team in rebounds, but has zero assists and turns the rock over 6 times.

Nice to see some positive things from our young guard, but it’s clear that Frank Howard needs to be back out there to help run the offense.  Battle and Brissett were pretty much non-existant last night.  Hughes flashed with some key shots, but went missing for periods of time as well.

Just flat out got out played, out hustled, and UCONN shot the ball really well.  

Danny Hurley is fugging annoying.

About to grab some breakfast and head to the Blarney for a couple bloody marys.  Back to the garden for Cuse v Oregon at 4:30!!  Let’s get it back on track!

The expected matchup, but not the expected time...whoops.

8 minutes ago, eball said:

The expected matchup, but not the expected time...whoops.

***** you!  ?

It’s going to be a weird crowd for the game.  We watched the first half of the Oregon/Iowa game last night, and there MIGHT have been 100 Oregon fans in the building.  The freshman center, Bol Bol, is fun to watch.  He can do a lot for a 7’2” kid.

• Buffalo716 changed the title to Syracuse Basketball 2023-24