Bills should try to trade for Amari Cooper, Raiders shopping him

YoloinOhio

The Bills need to acquire a WR who is not only capable of being a #1 but is a complete WR and has some experience in the NFL to help Allen. The Bills should also draft one relatively high with deep speed (2nd - 3rd ideally). I think Gruden is ripe to trade Cooper, who is eligible for the 5th year option and then  will want big money. The Raiders have shown they are willing to trade talent they feel can be replaced in the draft or cheaper. I believe the Bills will need to trade for and pay - perhaps overpay in this current climate- to obtain a real WR at this point. I would also look to obtain a FA WR who is more of a #2 guy that another team won’t want to pay - ie Tyler Boyd. May need to overpay a bit there too but this is what bad teams sometimes need to do to get talent (Jacksonville has done this over the last few years).  I would go into next year with Cooper, Boyd, Zay and a rookie as the top 4.

What would I give up for Cooper? A 3rd in 2020, 4th in 2019, Shaq Lawson. I saw rumblings that a just a 4th or 5th would get it done for the Raiders, maybe I’m overvaluing him but i don’t buy it. Gruden has been whining about fnding a pass rusher, Shaq is someone who he will have the ability to plug in  and determine if he’s a guy they want, and has a 5th year option they can use. Bills and Raiders would basically be swapping 2015/2016 1st rd draft picks. 

The bottom line as I’ve said many times is that drafting a WR in the 1st is a crap shoot.  I think they need to take a OT or Pass rusher with their 1st pick. Cooper is a top 10 talent who has been successful, maybe he’s not elite but those guys aren’t going to be available via trade or FA. You won’t get a big time FA WR to come to Buffalo who has options. Going to need to trade for one who has the talent to be a #1 and overpay a bit. We saw they were willing to work the trade for KB, that has not worked out but they saw the need and got who they could. He will be gone at the end of this season. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Is he even available?

There have been rumblings, but I don’t know. As i said I think the Bills should make the call and *try* to trade for him. I laid out why I think he could be available and why they should make the call. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

There have been rumblings, but I don’t know. As i said I think the Bills should make the call and *try* to trade for him. I laid out why I think he could be available and why they should make the call. 

I wouldn't hate it, that's for sure. But I bet Carr would.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I wouldn't hate it, that's for sure. But I bet Carr would.

Probably. I don’t think they care though considering he didn’t want Mack traded either. Cooper had a great game vs Cleveland but i know earlier in the season he was not targeted much, that’s when the trade rumblings started.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Like anything else, it depends on the cost. Amari Cooper in a Bills uni for a 4th and Shaq is a great idea....but I'm not sure that anything more than that is worth it. I like it for now and the future, but as always cost determines outcome. 

That said, I'd be surprised to see Gruden trade Cooper.

I can get on board with this. Not sure exactly what his issue has been for Oakland...inconsistency? I know Carr likes throwing to him. 

I agree with the idea that all we could hope for in FA is a guy in that Tyler Boyd category and overpay for him too. Also agree that another WR should be added in 2nd-3rd round ideally. 

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Haven’t seen a single report saying Raiders were even exploring a trade

I didn’t say there was a “report” they are exploring a trade. The Bills would make the call to initiate a trade. Teams do this daily. Many players are “available” at the right price. Some are not. He’s not an untouchable. 

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills need to acquire a WR who is not only capable of being a #1 but is a complete WR and has some experience in the NFL to help Allen. The Bills should also draft one relatively high with deep speed (2nd - 3rd ideally). I think Gruden is ripe to trade Cooper, who is eligible for the 5th year option and then  will want big money. The Raiders have shown they are willing to trade talent they feel can be replaced in the draft or cheaper. I believe the Bills will need to trade for and pay - perhaps overpay in this current climate- to obtain a real WR at this point. I would also look to obtain a FA WR who is more of a #2 guy that another team won’t want to pay - ie Tyler Boyd. May need to overpay a bit there too but this is what bad teams sometimes need to do to get talent (Jacksonville has done this over the last few years).  I would go into next year with Cooper, Boyd, Zay and a rookie as the top 4.

What would I give up for Cooper? A 3rd in 2020, 4th in 2019, Shaq Lawson. I saw rumblings that a just a 4th or 5th would get it done for the Raiders, maybe I’m overvaluing him but i don’t buy it. Gruden has been whining about fnding a pass rusher, Shaq is someone who he will have the ability to plug in  and determine if he’s a guy they want, and has a 5th year option they can use since they won’t have Cooper’s. Bills and Raiders would basically be swapping 2015 draft picks. 

The bottom line as I’ve said many times is that drafting a WR in the 1st is a crap shoot.  I think they need to take a OT or Pass rusher with their 1st pick. Cooper is a top 10 talent who has been successful, maybe he’s not elite but those guys aren’t going to be available via trade or FA. You won’t get a big time FA WR to come to Buffalo who has options. Going to need to trade for one who has the talent to be a #1 and overpay a bit. We saw they were willing to work the trade for KB, that has not worked out but they saw the need and got who they could. He will be gone at the end of this season. 

Thoughts? 

Not a bad idea.  Cooper to me is sort of a watkins 2.0 -- and I don't mean that in a good way.  Worth a roll of the dice though if we could get him for Lawson or Bejamin + a mid rounder.

He has the speed and size but seems like a poor route runner to me.

3 minutes ago, cle23 said:

I'd trade a 2nd as Cleveland for him. They would get more then a 4th as compensatory for him, so why would they give him away?

You can’t plan on a comp pick because there are variables that go into that based on other signings made. Also that comp pick would be 2020. I’m giving a 4th this year and a 3rd in 2020 plus a player at a position of need

Edited by YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What would I give up for Cooper? A 3rd in 2020, 4th in 2019, Shaq Lawson. I saw rumblings that a just a 4th or 5th would get it done for the Raiders, maybe I’m overvaluing him but i don’t buy it. Gruden has been whining about fnding a pass rusher, Shaq is someone who he will have the ability to plug in  and determine if he’s a guy they want, and has a 5th year option they can use since they won’t have Cooper’s. Bills and Raiders would basically be swapping 2015 draft picks. 

Thoughts? 

I agree.  It’s the one position that’s going to be tough to find a #1. There are plenty of OL available in free agency and in the draft.  But look at the WRs that may become available....none are potential #1s.  We’d have to use our top pick on WR and get lucky that he’s a #1.  Cooper has it all minus he case of the drops. I believe he’s better than that and I’m all for trading for him. We need guys that can get open.  Cooper does that