Officiating Consistency ( Defenseless Receiver and Helmet to Helmet )

Buffalo716

Im not blaming the refs for this one and I don’t like to blame refs for loses ...

but one thing has me perplexed...

The NFL has been cracking down on violent plays... so much so that the game is being watered down sometimes...

Hits to the head, defenseless receiver etc 

Tre White was called for hitting a defenseless receiver last week on a clean hit...

how the heck is the hit on Benjamin not on a defenseless receiver or helmet to helmet .. pisses me off when they call that consistently against us

(Ha Has helmet was the first thing to hit Benjamin, that isn’t incidental... incidental would be him striking him in the chest and having his helmet rise up and strike helmet. Benjamin was clearly a defenseless receiver and struck in head: Defenseless Receiver rule says auto first down: Helmet to Helmet rule says INT stands but 15 yards after play)

either way a flag could’ve been thrown

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Clinton- Dix was going for the ball, which he has as much right to as the WR. The contact wasn’t intentional, so you’ll rarely get a call on that type of contact . 

Yes he has the right but you still CANNOT make helmet contact even if unintended 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Im not blaming the refs for this one and I don’t like to blame refs for loses ...

but one thing has me perplexed...

The NFL has been cracking down on violent plays... so much so that the game is being watered down sometimes...

Hits to the head, defenseless receiver etc 

Tre White was called for hitting a defenseless receiver last week on a clean hit...

how the heck is the hit on Benjamin not on a defenseless receiver... pisses me off when they call that consistently against us

It was HORRIBLE today!! The hit on Benjamin was case in point!! Hughes got held ALL DAY. And the pick routes that the Packers employed were being called out by Fouts.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes he has the right but you still CANNOT make helmet contact even if unintended 

It was incidental contact, and the correct non-call.

Watch Clinton-Dix on the replay.  He was looking back at the QB and the ball when he caught it; Benjamin was off to his side and I'm sure the "hit" surprised C.D. as much as it surprised Benjamin.

Basically both players moved into the same space at the same time in an effort to catch the football, while neither player was concerned about what the other was doing or where they were.

That was the correct non-call and I think most officials would see it that way.

As an aside, I think officiating in the NFL is the worst in all of N.American major league sports, and this game today in particular was very poorly called.

But I don't have an issue with the play you draw attention to.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You can if it’s  incidental..Kind of like when a dB and wr get their feet tangled up. If both players are trying to catch the pass and they collide, whose fault is it ? Fwiw Kelso thought it was a good no call. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

Just now, Fadingpain said:

It was incidental contact, and the correct non-call.

Watch Clinton-Dix on the replay.  He was looking back at the QB and the ball when he caught it; Benjamin was off to his side and I'm sure the "hit" surprised C.D. as much as it surprised Benjamin.

Basically both players moved into the same space at the same time in an effort to catch the football, while neither player was concerned about what the other was doing or where they were.

That was the correct non-call and I think most officials would see it that way.

As an aside, I think officiating in the NFL is the worst in all of N.American major league sports, and this game today in particular was very poorly called.

But I don't have an issue with the play you draw attention to.

There have been way less egregious ones called

Consistency. They have none

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Clinton- Dix was going for the ball, which he has as much right to as the WR. The contact wasn’t intentional, so you’ll rarely get a call on that type of contact . 

SO, just look at the ball and a CB can go right through a WR now legally for it? That WR is more subjective to injury than the one who knows he will most likely get smacked after securing the ball and turning up field to gain yards. 

Making a play for the ball is fine but going head first into a WR is not and should easily draw a flag.

1 minute ago, Matty the Dustmop said:

Why have instant replay when it clearly showed Allens knee down and then the ball comes out, many missed   holding calls and a facemask or two

Looked like the ball was moving before the knee was down. Not enough evidence to overturn. 

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

You can if it’s  incidental..Kind of like when a dB and wr get their feet tangled up. If both players are trying to catch the pass and they collide, whose fault is it ? Fwiw Kelso thought it was a good no call. 

If they can call Tre for hitting a defenseless receiver last week they need consistency on head shots and defenseless receivers 

Allen was down... fumble...

they have no consistency 

Edited by Buffalo716

15 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I agree. It looked like a clean play. He wasn't trying to hit the WR at all.

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

If they can call Tre for hitting a defenseless receiver last week they need consistency 

Allen was down... fumble...

they have no consistency 

Tre White was making a tackle after a ball was caught by a WR. not going for the ball . Totally different. As for the fumble, it was called a fumble on the field and it appeared the ball was moving prior to the knee going down. If they had called it no fumble, it wouldn’t have been overturned by replay either.