Did Gaine leaving front office set us back?

Big Blitz

The near-constant criticism of the FA signings is silly. People saying the Bills did wrong or didn't do enough to sign this guy or that guy, it's dumb. It takes two to tango. The player has to wanna sign here. 

Since Beane's taken over, the Bills seem to have been linked to all sorts of free agents or players on the trade block, more than any previous FO I can recall in recent memory. They're always actively looking to see what's available. But they're limited in cap space and again, they can't force players to sign here.

And just like players, personnel executives get opportunities to work elsewhere. It's just business.

Day after day this board is just flooded with, "Do the Bills suck this year because of this? Or is it this? Should they fire everyone? Should they push the stadium into Lake Erie? Should they make the whole team retire?" It's a friggin' rebuild.

2019... 10 draft picks and I have no doubt they'll find ways to acquire more, and a truckload of cap space. It'll come together.

Edited by blacklabel

50 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Bottom line... This front office decided the best course for Buffalo was to rebuild from the ground-up.  They didn't see a way of long-term success without a franchise quarterback.  They didn't see a way of long-term success with the bloated underachieving contracts they current had on the books.  The solution to both problems was trading away talent for draft picks.  A season like this was the unfortunate side-effect.  It just wasn't possible for us to re-stock talent as quickly as we got rid of it.  Next year is  completely different story.

This post pretty much sums things up as I see it.  Last year was McBean's first go and a "show me" year to see what they had.  They decided a full re-build was in order and literally blew up last year's team to eat dead cap and acquire draft capital.

2018 was never about making the playoffs again...this year was guaranteed pain.  The older vets they signed were supposed "good character" guys who were necessary to fill out the roster and field a team for the season.  Next year the reconstruction starts. 

As mentioned above there is no guarantee the rebuild will be a slam dunk (like the sabres example) but nothing McBean has done on the tear down makes me think they will automatically blow the rebuild.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

That does not explain the players brought in for this year.  

A lot of people are saying everything will be fine next year because they have a ton of cap room.  What did they do the offseason to prove they can pick the right players.  

This is beane’s roster and his plan.  All we can do is hope he has a successful offseason .  

If they were making decision  because of low cap space, why would they waste some of it by bringing in Coleman and dumping him after only a couple weeks? Wouldn't you at least hold onto him a bit longer and see what you can do with a bit more time. 

And what has this front office shown that would indicate they are going to use the freed cap space next year, and if so, they still need to convince the player to come sign here to a team pretty void of talent. The only thing these guys have shown so far is that they are willing to do whatever it take to get their guy in the draft, and they are usually only interested in bringing in and keeping players they have had previous experience with.

Edited by apuszczalowski
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

Something most people just won't grasp.

People understand it, most are just against it pr have their issues with it because it was self inflicted. They put themselves in a situation where they cant do anything now to help their QB and team because they decided to cut/trade any talent they had left for picks, and make dumb personnel decisions such as trading for then releasing Coleman

• Like (+1) 1

I continue to hear "last year was a mirage" as some kind of justification for this year's awful performance. It really makes no sense.

By any measure, shouldn't we be better in year TWO of a rebuild?

I really don't understand why this particular front office is getting such a free pass. The fact that we're worse in year two is not a good thing. It's a bad thing. How is such regression a sign of progress?

Edited by LSHMEAB

I see my post last night ended up the topic of a new thread.   ?

Our free agent signings of a year ago played quite well for the most part (Poyer, Hyde, Holmes, Hauschka, DiMarco, etc.). This year's group (McCaron, Davis, Murphy, Lotulelei, Kerley, Bodine, etc.) seems to not be quite as impactful as last year's group (yet?). So, the main change to the pro personnel staff was Gaine out and Morgan in. Time will tell, but it seems we lost a good talent evaluator (as evidenced by Houston hiring him back as their GM). Two games in and McCaron, Davis, and Kerley aren't even on the roster. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement for our pro personnel staff.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Judging by the results, the player personnel department could indeed use an overhaul. 

Without knowing their management structure, it's hard to tell what that overhaul is, though.  Maybe it's Beane - I believe he said he personally reviews every decision?

Maybe they bring him 3 choices and he deliberately picks the splashiest, highest ceiling lowest floor path each time.

Malik Boyd is the Pro Personnel Director.    He'd likely have a lot to say during free agency, as would Joe Schoen, the assistant GM...

Bills Player Personnel.gif

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I continue to hear "last year was a mirage" as some kind of justification for this year's awful performance. It really makes no sense.

By any measure, shouldn't we be better in year TWO of a rebuild?

I really don't understand why this particular front office is getting such a free pass. The fact that we're worse in year two is not a good thing. It's a bad thing. How is such regression a sign of progress?

Brandon Beane didn't come around until AFTER the 2017 Draft. 

The first moves in the roster tear-down were the Sammy Watkins/Ronald Darby trades, both of which occurred during the Preseason in August 2017

That's just about 13 months ago.

Calling it "Year Two" of the rebuild is quite a stretch.

The main reason for the Bills regressing is that we traded away our veteran QB (Tyrod Taylor) and replaced him with a Top 10 rookie (Josh Allen).  Even if we fielded a better overall roster than the 2017 team that went 9-7, the Bills almost certainly would have STILL taken a significant step backwards this year.  That's what happens when you play a young/inexperienced Quarterback.

The only realistic way the 2018 Bills could have been competitive this year was by keeping Taylor another season.  That would have cost us the extra 3rd Round Pick we got from Cleveland, along with an additional $13 million on the salary cap (Taylor's hit was $16 million, McCarron was $3 million).  Which means that we probably would have filled LESS holes on the roster, for the sole purpose of maybe competing for a Wild Card spot this year.  Personally, I would rather take our lumps this season... get a Top 5 pick... and then be ready to move forward next year.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

How could you possibly know that?

Because I made a thread on it when it happened 

Gaine is very very respected in football circles and was seen as a GM in waiting for a  team for a long time.. he was definitely a great asset to the franchise 

Morgan at the time looked like a downgrade to me because of how respected Gaine is

12 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Sounds like a good job for you.

Thanks ? 

that would be a dream job for anybody in football 

problem is Terry blocked my # after all those phone calls ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Brandon Beane didn't come around until AFTER the 2017 Draft. 

The first moves in the roster tear-down were the Sammy Watkins/Ronald Darby trades, both of which occurred during the Preseason in August 2017

That's just about 13 months ago.

Calling it "Year Two" of the rebuild is quite a stretch.

The main reason for the Bills regressing is that we traded away our veteran QB (Tyrod Taylor) and replaced him with a Top 10 rookie (Josh Allen).  Even if we fielded a better overall roster than the 2017 team that went 9-7, the Bills almost certainly would have STILL taken a significant step backwards this year.  That's what happens when you play a young/inexperienced Quarterback.

The only realistic way the 2018 Bills could have been competitive this year was by keeping Taylor another season.  That would have cost us the extra 3rd Round Pick we got from Cleveland, along with an additional $13 million on the salary cap (Taylor's hit was $16 million, McCarron was $3 million).  Which means that we probably would have filled LESS holes on the roster, for the sole purpose of maybe competing for a Wild Card spot this year.  Personally, I would rather take our lumps this season... get a Top 5 pick... and then be ready to move forward next year.

I could live with everything you said if the defense wasn't so bad.. That is the area that concerns me most. I actually liked Tyrod, but he is who he is. 

The fact that they DID spend money on the defense and they've regressed ALOT from last season should be concerning to everyone as to whether or not McDermott is the answer. I can live with a rookie QB playing like a rookie if I thought they at least have a plan in place defensively. I didn't like the Allen pick and don't think he's gonna pan out, but that is what it is as well.

Why is the defense so atrocious if this regime knows what they're doing?

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I could live with everything you said if the defense wasn't so bad.. That is the area that concerns me most. I actually liked Tyrod, but he is who he is. 

The fact that they DID spend money on the defense and they've regressed ALOT from last season should be concerning to everyone as to whether or not McDermott is the answer. I can live with a rookie QB playing like a rookie if I thought they at least have a plan in place defensively. I didn't like the Allen pick and don't think he's gonna pan out, but that is what it is as well.

Why is the defense so atrocious if this regime knows what they're doing?

Let the season play out a few more games, and give the defense a chance to turn things around.

They had some very bad stretches last season too.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Because I made a thread on it when it happened 

Gaine is very very respected in football circles and was seen as a GM in waiting for a  team for a long time.. he was definitely a great asset to the franchise 

Morgan at the time looked like a downgrade to me because of how respected Gaine is

Thanks ? 

that would be a dream job for anybody in football 

problem is Terry blocked my # after all those phone calls ?

can't just do heavy breathing over the phone ;)