Sean Mcvay is a savant

aristocrat

2 hours ago, mannc said:

I can’t agree with this at all.  Did you mean to say the opposite?

Whoops!!! Yeah, I meant it’s easier to find a good DC.  Wade Phillips was on twitter begging for a job.  Now, they have a great offensive coach and great DC.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Please.  The Bills made the playoffs under McD and didn't under 4 years of Jauron.  He never even got to .500.

Honestly, if you look back at those rosters, it took amazing coaching to even get to 7 wins.  I remember one year our qbs threw more ints than tds and we still won 7 games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, if you look back at those rosters, it took amazing coaching to even get to 7 wins.  I remember one year our qbs threw more ints than tds and we still won 7 games.

It will take even more amazing coaching for McDermott to get this year's edition to 4 wins.  I think the Bills current roster is as bad as the Bills 2009 roster, which was four years into Jauron's run.  As I said, I think McDermott is a good game day coach, but giving him personnel control was stupid when he had no previous HC experience and no experience coaching offense.   I'm never in favor of HCs have control over players, even experienced ones, because they tend to have a short-term view whereas good GMs take a longer term view.  For example, Belichick has been very successful while having control of the roster but almost all of the success rests on Brady and the revolving door of FA role players that the Pats bring in with regularity.  They haven't been very successful at drafting since Scott Pioli left, although somebody in the organization does know how to spot OL talent because they do seem to find good OLers in the draft pretty regularly.

2 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Seriously?

Every play.

He's every called.

I bet no other coach can do that.

He has a very high end eidetic memory.

It is only present in between 2%-15% of children, and almost never in adults.

He is most likely in the autism spectrum somewhere, which is where it is most common.

Stop acting like this is not impressive.

You would be surprised. Obviously if he could recall an entire game that would be unbelievable, but these were key plays in games he coached.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Whoops!!! Yeah, I meant it’s easier to find a good DC.  Wade Phillips was on twitter begging for a job.  Now, they have a great offensive coach and great DC.

that's why I think your premise is half right.  It isn't so much with the HC is offense or defensive minded, its finding the guy to run the other side of the ball that can be the key.

As you said, McVay did it in LA. Pederson did the same thing in Philly with Schwartz.

"Surrounding yourself with good people" doesn't mean getting yes men or people who think like you do.  More often than not, its getting people who are more skilled in other areas than your forte.

It applies at the GM level too. I really think this org. needs one of the best offensive minds in the area of talent evaluation. Someone with a vision of how an offense is supposed to work and finding the right people for it.

Because based on the people they've let go and the people they've brought in...they aren't showing much in this area.

16 hours ago, aristocrat said:

These are the type of questions Pegula needed to ask HC candidates during interviews. I guarantee they never did. Otherwise McDerp would have answered with “I’ll have to check the tape.”

But I’m sure Terry fell in love over “tRuSt tHe PrOcEsS.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Doing what? Have a reporter ask McDermott what happened week 4 @Atlanta. Atlanta had the ball, and 3rd and 9 with 11:04 left in the 3rd.

If you watched film of that game you can easily remember. 

They are pulling random games from 2015 out on him.

Stop being a hater.

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

They are pulling random games from 2015 out on him.

Stop being a hater.

I'm not hating. But let him tell what happened when they ran the ball for 1 yard on 2nd and 7. I mean if someone asked me about important bills plays last year I could easily do this if I watched the film for hours. 

I'm confident most coaches could recall major plays in games. 

21 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I'm not hating. But let him tell what happened when they ran the ball for 1 yard on 2nd and 7. I mean if someone asked me about important bills plays last year I could easily do this if I watched the film for hours. 

I'm confident most coaches could recall major plays in games. 

He's recalling plays from 2015.

Did you even watch the video?

One was just for a freaking first down.

23 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

He's recalling plays from 2015.

Did you even watch the video?

One was just for a freaking first down.

They were all major plays in games. You obviously don't respect the work that coaches put in if you think he's the only one that can remember details of plays years ago. He even says in HBO clip that this is all that he thinks about.

A lot of coaches could do this.

19 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

They were all major plays in games. You obviously don't respect the work that coaches put in if you think he's the only one that can remember details of plays years ago. He even says in HBO clip that this is all that he thinks about.

A lot of coaches could do this.

?

Edited by SouthNYfan

17 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

McDermott is fine.  He’s a dime a dozen head coach.  The problem is he’s running the team and it’s clearly showing why a defensive coach shouldn’t make offensive personnel moves.

What I like McD is that he understands the team culture is the most consistent thing you can control. Having players buying into a consistent philsophy is something that is very underrated in the NFL. But it is on Beane to put the pieces in place and if McD isn't capable of buying the groceries on offense then Beane has to step in and find the players himself.