Tennis Officials Get No Love.

Keukasmallies

Just now, row_33 said:

men get triple the "yellow cards and techincals" of women, they are more aggressive and take it out UP TO A POINT and then go back to play

Kyrgios sure is and he's my favourite to watch

it was better back in the day when Connors and McEnroe would square off and when one was having a fit the other would go up to the net and goad the hothead with fun curses

when you are told WARNING!!  then POINT!!!!! you better get your **** together because GAME !!! is next...

McEnroe was booted from the Australian Open.

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

John McEnroe and Andre Agassi were celebrated by berating tennis officials.  Andy Roddick said he's said worse to an official and wasn't given a penalty.  I think she has a point that she wouldn't have been penalized if she was a guy.

lol?

Look at the response by tennis fans. They're celebrating her. So what the hell are you talking about?

By the way, McEnroe got disqualifed in a match. That's right DQ'd as in lost the match. Didn't lose one game like Serena. He got DQ'd. So there's goes your sexist, man-hating theory.

Maybe if you weren't a man hating liberal who watched CNN, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC etc. and turned on Fox News or went to Breitbart you'd know about this. There's a reason why they're called fake news.

By the way, a lot of people that work for those companies have histories on twitter of saying "I hate white people" or "I hate men".

Edited by suorangefan4

13 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

McEnroe was booted from the Australian Open.

his choice and he took his lumps and that's pro tennis

he wasn't the King of Social Justice Warriors, he was despised by the elites and the media

10 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

lol?

Look at the response by tennis fans. They're celebrating her. So what the hell are you talking about?

By the way, McEnroe got disqualifed in a match. That's right DQ'd as in lost the match. Didn't lose one game like Serena. He got DQ'd. So there's goes your sexist, man-hating theory.

when you play take the risk the other person is better on that given day

i wish Serena another dozen years of getting her behind kicked out there so she can show this ugly behaviour when she has totally quit out there

She wants to be a man... Let her play against the men.

7 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

lol?

Maybe if you weren't a man hating liberal who watched CNN, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC etc. and turned on Fox News or went to Breitbart you'd know about this. There's a reason why they're called fake news.

By the way, a lot of people that work for those companies have histories on twitter of saying "I hate white people" or "I hate men".

I am a liberal.

I have total respect for her accomplishments, though I have never enjoyed watching her play.

She took on a bit too much too soon personally and got beat by a better player that given day.

Excuses and injuries are part of the game over a long and brilliant career for her, so bounce back in Oz and show the world.

She got fully what she deserved by the chair, I guess he could have told her to clam up and go back out there like a champion and saved us all the harangue that ensued.

44 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Tennis is full of great players with the exact same temperament.   What the Internet buzz has been about is that women who yell and scream are treated differently than men who do the same.    It's a fair point.    The problem is, the men shouldn't be allowed to get away with it, either...

Wrong. Read my post and row_33's. Men are actually treated more unfairly in sports.

11 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

Wrong. Read my post and row_33's. Men are actually treated more unfairly in sports.

The highest level of male professional athletes are so superaggressive, but they have to learn to keep it in check and they know there's a line the sand they bear consequence for...

so they suck it up,  or they sometimes deliberately cross it or they need a straightjacket and are given the boot

and part of sports is baiting the ref looking for competitive edge on the next call, but that has its limits

and part of tennis entertainment is personalities pushing the limits, much rarer in women's tennis, Martina and Steffi and other greats didn't act this badly, they had respect and dignity even on days it wasn't going so well out there

again, her approach of high dudgeon about being called a cheater and she's a mother is not worthy of the top competition for big money in the world of sports, it's embarrassing

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

smashing your racket is a very high sign of contempt and losing your marbles out there, a Cantona-like karate-kick on a fan would be a higher form of losing your marbles

you are watching how life and viewpoints operate in 2018 North America and are surprised at the "usual suspects" knee-jerk jumping to her side?

Trust me, I'm well aware of this.  I think I could make that same exact post in pretty much every single thread if I really wanted to.  I've missed most of the coverage of the hurricane headed my way simply because I can't stomach any news program anymore.

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What does Her  "being a mother" spiel have to do with anything?

You've been around your fair share of irrational women.  Do you really need to ask that question?

I might as well throw some actual sexism into the discussion.:lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, shrader said:

Trust me, I'm well aware of this.  I think I could make that same exact post in pretty much every single thread if I really wanted to.  I've missed most of the coverage of the hurricane headed my way simply because I can't stomach any news program anymore.

You've been around your fair share of irrational women.  Do you really need to ask that question?

I might as well throw some actual sexism into the discussion.:lol:

i could say this reminds me of another woman losing something recently, and all her fans refusing to face reality,  but we'll keep it to sports

• Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

John McEnroe and Andre Agassi were celebrated by berating tennis officials.  Andy Roddick said he's said worse to an official and wasn't given a penalty.  I think she has a point that she wouldn't have been penalized if she was a guy.

They also took a lot of crap for their behavior. 

5 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

Do you watch much tennis?

Obviously he does - he mentioned McEnroe. 

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Tennis is full of great players with the exact same temperament.   What the Internet buzz has been about is that women who yell and scream are treated differently than men who do the same.    It's a fair point.    The problem is, the men shouldn't be allowed to get away with it, either...

True, the men shouldn’t be allowed, and not since McEnroe do I recall a tirade that just wouldn’t stop like Serena’s. They may use worse language, but they also know when to quit for the most part. If they went on as she did it would have been called. The real problem was not giving her a warning to STOP. That was a mistake, but it shouldn’t have been necessary. 

I’ll never question Serena’s greatness, but she can be very nasty. I was shocked when we watched her for about an hour on a practice court at the Miami tournament. She loves to save that cute smile for the cameras, but there’s a lot more to her than that. She had a LOT of foul language, screaming at her hitting partner and smashing racquets to show for all the little kiddies lined up along the fence. Yowza! 

Oh, and they made a big deal out of the warning for the (French?) girl turning her top around on the court, too. “Men do that all the time!” Yep, at their chair where it’s allowed. Still, that was just a silly warning/complaint. 

Edited by Augie

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

True, the men shouldn’t be allowed, and not since McEnroe do I recall a tirade that just wouldn’t stop life Serena’s. They may use worse language, but they also know when to quit for the most part. If they went on as she did it would have been called. The real problem was not giving her a warning to STOP. That was a mistake, but it shouldn’t have been necessary. 

I’ll never question Serena’s greatness, but she can be very nasty. I was shocked when we watched her for about an hour on a practice court at the Miami tournament. She loves to save that cute smile for the cameras, but there’s a lot more to her than that. Yowza! 

Oh, and they made a big deal out of the warning for the (French?) girl turning her top around on the court, too. “Men do that all the time!” Yep, at their chair where it’s allowed. Still, that was just a silly warning/complaint. 

she was warned with her second violation in smashing her tennis racket.

must be nice to go through life as it you can pretend your first "yellow card" or "technical" didn't count and you can get more juvenile by the minute...

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

she was warned with her second violation in smashing her tennis racket.

must be nice to go through life as it you can pretend your first "yellow card" or "technical" didn't count and you can get more juvenile by the minute...

No kidding! I would have warned during the tirade about the game penalty, but that’s just me as a CYA move. That decided a US Open finals match, but it’s almost as if Serena wanted an excuse for losing. But it should NOT be and was NOT required

Edited by Augie

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

No kidding! I would have warned during the tirade about the game penalty, but that’s just me as a CYA move. That decided a US Open finals match, but it’s almost as if Serena wanted an excuse for losing. But it should NOT and was NOT required

she was pasted in the first set and was not winning the second set, so take out everyone and destroy the joy of a younger player rightfully beating her but good

what an ambassador

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

so like because you know McEnroe said mean things like 35 years ago that should mean y'know that nobody should watch their behaviour

did i get the argument correct?

A lot of the rules penalizing players badgering the referee were enacted because of McEnroe's outbursts.  The only reason I said there seemed to be a double standard were male tennis players saying they weren't penalized for saying a lot worse.  McEnroe is kind of celebrated for his on the court antics now.  Hell, they made a commercial making fun of his outbursts.

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

What other Women's champion ever came within a million miles of this kind of childish behaviour?

What men's champions also acted childish in the same way?    And were often celebrated for it...

https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/ranking-the-bad-boys-of-tennis-20150710/

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/worst-meltdowns-in-tennis.html/

Edited by Lurker

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

A lot of the rules penalizing players badgering the referee were enacted because of McEnroe's outbursts.  The only reason I said there seemed to be a double standard were male tennis players saying they weren't penalized for saying a lot worse.  McEnroe is kind of celebrated for his on the court antics now.  Hell, they made a commercial making fun of his outbursts.

I remember Ilie Nastase as the first to yell f-shots out loud during matches and berate officials mercilessly for big matches, he was ahead of Mac by a decade.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

What men's champions also acted childish in the same way?    And were often celebrated for it...

https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/ranking-the-bad-boys-of-tennis-20150710/

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/worst-meltdowns-in-tennis.html/

what does that matter at all?

one is responsible for how THEY behave, unless one is proud to be irresponsible and never take responsibility for their actions

you have no clue at all, do you..... good luck with your mindset there...

She was cheating.  Did the others get caught cheating or did just get mad @ various calls?

Anyway... There is double standard.  Act lady like, act like a mother... A saint.

Not all in the world is equal.  It's a give and take. There are things that men don't get the benny of doubt.  Let her play with the boys.  She wants her cake and eat it too.  Like a two-year old.  Shout down when things go wrong.

Act like a lady.  Wanna be a guy... Then be a guy.  It's okay in today's world.

10 hours ago, Lurker said:

There is a long list of men similarly punished by this exact official.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Augie said:

No kidding! I would have warned during the tirade about the game penalty, but that’s just me as a CYA move. That decided a US Open finals match, but it’s almost as if Serena wanted an excuse for losing. But it should NOT be and was NOT required

I couldn't hear the umpire.  Are we sure he didn't? 

Oz changed the rules for the 1990 (or whatever) Open, with forfeiture for the third warning, McEnroe was tossed on the third warning, the only time in history for a major

Oz and the French wasn't his thing so he may have welcomed the early exit.

I like watching sports and don't really care for all the politics and emotional causes that want to take over the actually playing of the event.

On 9/12/2018 at 3:37 AM, Doc Brown said:

they stopped after first warning.  Serena received three warnings

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

her breakdown is fascinating to watch.  She is nuts!

i look forward to many of them as she won't retire during the ebbing of her tremendous skills

it's very entertaining, but not defensible

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

true character always reveals itself

athletes freak out sometimes, she does it more than every other top women's tennis star combined for the Open Era.

such a difference in her when she is stomping a cupcake, isn't there...  :D

I feel sorry for the young woman who had her day in the sun ruined by the reprehensible behavior of someone she apparently idolized. I hope the blush is off that particular idol. As it was, Osaka is reduced to tears and the NY audience kept cheering on the prima donna's meltdown. But there's another thread in this forum about folks looting a store while the attendant dies of a heart attack. Probably Serena fans.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I feel sorry for the young woman who had her day in the sun ruined by the reprehensible behavior of someone she apparently idolized. I hope the blush is off that particular idol. As it was, Osaka is reduced to tears and the NY audience kept cheering on the prima donna's meltdown. But there's another thread in this forum about folks looting a store while the attendant dies of a heart attack. Probably Serena fans.

I always have to laugh at those NY fans.  Early in his career, Connors was hated because of his behavior.  But, when he made that late career run in '91, he was loved and Agassi was hated.............Then, late in his career, Agassi was loved..............Now, Serena is in the loved age range. 

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

and then she carried on for hours hogging the spotlight from the champion