Tennis Officials Get No Love.

Keukasmallies

Tennis officials are bemoaning the lack of support from the WTA and the community in general regarding the Serena Williams implosion over admitted coaching during play.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/24644514/tennis-officials-shaken-lack-support-chair-umpire-carlos-ramos

Whether or not the no coaching rule should be in the books isn't the issue.  The rule exists and therefore should be enforced.  The Umpire called Ms. Williams for receiving coaching, her coach admitted he was coaching her, she went ballistic; she played the gender card and was perilously close [in my opinion] to playing the race card.  Gentile tennis suffered a NASCAR-like melt down.

That was an embarrassment. She is one of the best female athletes of all time, but she does not lose gracefully. Osaka played the match of her life. That was the story. She earned that victory and yet people were booing at the end.

The people chiming in to defend her were even more embarrassing. Uninformed take after uniformed take.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

She is the worst person in professional sports.  Every single time she loses there is some excuse, someone who 'cheated' her or some other b.s.   The Japanese girl was kicking her ass so she needed to thrown a tantrum, simple as that.  And in the process she mars someone else's first title -- oh well, who cares about that!

10 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

On a related note: a newspaper in Australia is doubling down in support of its cartoonist's take on the incident.

https://www.ktts.com/news/national/serena-williams-cartoon-racist

As they should, cartoon nailed it.   There's nothing racist about calling out a black person for horrible behavior.

• Like (+1) 5

56 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

Tennis officials are bemoaning the lack of support from the WTA and the community in general regarding the Serena Williams implosion over admitted coaching during play.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/24644514/tennis-officials-shaken-lack-support-chair-umpire-carlos-ramos

Whether or not the no coaching rule should be in the books isn't the issue.  The rule exists and therefore should be enforced.  The Umpire called Ms. Williams for receiving coaching, her coach admitted he was coaching her, she went ballistic; she played the gender card and was perilously close [in my opinion] to playing the race card.  Gentile tennis suffered a NASCAR-like melt down.

I agree.  We live in an era where people shout people down, Hulk out and that is acceptable.

Scream authority down... So Sad.

There is word for what happen.  It will get attacked for being racist.  But, it's NOT racist, everybody exhibits it.

Everyone attacks authority.  That's not good.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

32 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

She is the worst person in professional sports.  Every single time she loses there is some excuse, someone who 'cheated' her or some other b.s.   The Japanese girl was kicking her ass so she needed to thrown a tantrum, simple as that.  And in the process she mars someone else's first title -- oh well, who cares about that!

As they should, cartoon nailed it.   There's nothing racist about calling out a black person for horrible behavior.

I think people are taking more of an exception to the exaggerated "Sambo-like" features the artist drew. It would have been interesting to see if he drew Serena more life-like, would the race card still have been played.

24 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I think people are taking more of an exception to the exaggerated "Sambo-like" features the artist drew. It would have been interesting to see if he drew Serena more life-like, would the race card still have been played.

But the artist didn't draw exaggerated "Sambo-like" features, even if that absurdly slanted article says so.   Go back and look at some Sambo-era drawings and you'll see the difference.  This 'controversy' is just more race card playing, designed to distract from the real outrage:  Williams' idiotic behavior.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

But the artist didn't draw exaggerated "Sambo-like" features, even if that absurdly slanted article says so.   Go back and look at some Sambo-era drawings and you'll see the difference.  This 'controversy' is just more race card playing, designed to distract from the real outrage:  Williams' idiotic behavior.

Yep.

3 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

She went hulk on that tennis racket. 

I saw her go thru a half dozen racquets at the Miami tournament on a practice court, cussing up a storm and tearing her hitting partner a new one. Dad marching all around the court like some crazy dude, all while little kids are lined up along the fence listening to her vulgar outbreaks. 

I play quite a bit of tennis (a couple hours this morning), and I can tell you there must be some kind to trick to snapping a racquet like that! 

I was happy when Serena was caught on camera screaming to the line judge at US Open “I’ll shove this ball up you a$$!” a few years ago. That’s the real Serena. But she may be the most dominant athlete in any US sport, male or female, ever. Greatness often comes with an edge. Michael Jordan was no angel. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’d like to try sometime, but my racquets are about $200 a piece, and they don’t send them to me for free. I thought I might try a really old version I’ll never use again, but I just can’t bring myself to intentionally break a racquet! I’d rather take them to Goodwill. 

31 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’d like to try sometime, but my racquets are about $200 a piece, and they don’t send them to me for free. I thought I might try a really old version I’ll never use again, but I just can’t bring myself to intentionally break a racquet! I’d rather take them to Goodwill. 

I did it to a racket one time in high school. Sophomore year. I was playing the top player in our section. I was up 6-5 in the 3rd set tiebreak and he calls two balls that were both no less than 2 inches in, out. I got pissed and brought the coaches in. I asked the opposing coach if it was in. He just said it was his player's call. I ask again and he says again that it's not his call. I was steaming but we played on. I return his serve right down the line for a winner. My team and coach all cheer. He calls it out. His team and coach are silent.  I lose it. Broke my racket. Called their coach a coward and went off on the guy I played. A few weeks later at the all star photos, I apologized to the opposing coach and told him I was embarrassed by how I acted. He was cool about it and actually apologized to me too. I still hate that kid. :lol: 

• Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

I did it to a racket one time in high school. Sophomore year. I was playing the top player in our section. I was up 6-5 in the 3rd set tiebreak and he calls two balls that were both no less than 2 inches in, out. I got pissed and brought the coaches in. I asked the opposing coach if it was in. He just said it was his player's call. I ask again and he says again that it's not his call. I was steaming but we played on. I return his serve right down the line for a winner. My team and coach all cheer. He calls it out. His team and coach are silent.  I lose it. Broke my racket. Called their coach a coward and went off on the guy I played. A few weeks later at the all star photos, I apologized to the opposing coach and told him I was embarrassed by how I acted. He was cool about it and actually apologized to me too. I still hate that kid. :lol: 

That is a major reason I no longer play ALTA in Atlanta. (Huge city wide doubles league.) I don’t want to be on a court with people.....I don’t want to be on a court with. I used to play in a Monday night league in Florida. It was 14 courts of doubles, you play one set with each guy. Everything fron 3.5-4.0 players, to college guys and a few folks who played for a living.  Get 18 games and you move up to court one, get three and sink like a brick. Lasted 10-12 weeks and they keep your average. You float to where you belong. Great league!  There were a few people who would...... sense their own reality.  One guy named George was known for his horrible line calls. Worse yet, another guy would come in and change his score on the sheet. A 3 might become a 13, a 4 might become an 9. He guaranteed that he’d never play where he belonged and get his butt kicked every week. Curious mindset. 

I’d rather be known as a lousy tennis player than as a cheater. 

Judge a person by their character, not their color... Now who said that, or something similar.

She is being judged by her character.  Does she not like how that looks?

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

That is a major reason I no longer play ALTA in Atlanta. (Huge city wide doubles league.) I don’t want to be on a court with people.....I don’t want to be on a court with. I used to play in a Monday night league in Florida. It was 14 courts of doubles, you play one set with each guy. Everything fron 3.5-4.0 players, to college guys and a few folks who played for a living.  Get 18 games and you move up to court one, get three and sink like a brick. Lasted 10-12 weeks and they keep your average. You float to where you belong. Great league!  There were a few people who would...... sense their own reality.  One guy named George was known for his horrible line calls. Worse yet, another guy would come in and change his score on the sheet. A 3 might become a 13, a 4 might become an 9. He guaranteed that he’d never play where he belonged and get his butt kicked every week. Curious mindset. 

I’d rather be known as a lousy tennis player than as a cheater. 

Same with a certain quarterback that shall remain nameless!

But people fall all over him, and he was caught cheating numerous times.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Probably the real reason Serena is frustrated is because she looks like Predator. Shes washed up and the Naomi chick is young, hot and just a better player. Look at the arms on Serena that is no female. That thing is cheating in more ways than one.

6 hours ago, KD in CA said:

The problem with that cartoon is that it depicts the other player as a blonde white woman, when she was actually Asian.

?

I guess the artist just couldn't help himself.