McBeane's Gambit

Batman1876

The Offense is desperate for speed.  McCloud is going to get alot of playing time inside.  Kerley, Benjamin and Jones cant separate.  Perriman though a bust should be brought it for at least a threat of someone getting over the top.  

4 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

The writing was on the wall that they knew this season would be rough. They Chose dead cap and draft picks over keeping under preforming guys, who were nevertheless talented. They picked two developmental guys in the 1st round. They left free agency with an assortment of depth guys, over the hill veteran leadership guys, cheep risky guys who may be good and maybe a role player or two. they traded away 2018's roster so they'd have more tools to build 2019's roster.

The last 12 months set the stage for McBeane's gambit and the next 12 months will ultimately determine if it will pay off. 

Agreed with all but especially the above as it relates to this board's feelings today. Granted, no matter what your expectations were/are for this season, yesterday's loss has no excuse.

But the more I read, the more it seems people actually went through the entire offseason and believe that we would contend for the same result as last year. Not necessarily a playoff/wildcard berth, but to even be close to an 8-8/9-7 result. We were all thrilled the drought was ended with our first season under the new regime, but it is abundantly clear this is a team being built for the future, and not to win now. It's hard to argue how any move made in the offseason would lead us to compete this year, first. 

Your 12 month assessment might be too tight to see the real dividends Beane intended for with his moves this offseason, but I do hope that we start to see results to be confident in that intended future, during that period.

Edited by ctk232

4 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

When McBeane took over in 2017 they saw a team that was in a tough spot.  Little cap room in 2017 and even less in 2018. The previous few drafts had provided precious little talent to build around.  There were big money players under preforming their contracts. Our championship window was closing on a team that was mediocre at best.  Big money contracts would necessitate we ditch some talent to make room to fill a roster and we'd chug along with the mediocre play that had defined most of the drought.  But they decided to take it another route. 

McBeane's gambit was to get rid of all that talent that would not be a part of the team's future as soon as possible, trading them for draft assets.  The Number of trades made over the course of that first year was truly staggering. They turned talent that they did not see as the future of the team into two 2nd round picks, two 3rd round picks, a 5th round pick and two 7th round picks. This would not come without a cost, in the form of huge dead cap money and a roster with holes. The benefits could be huge too, lots of draft capital with which to get young talent and a very favorable roster situation in 2019. The Bills have 91 million available next year and only 4 players cost more to cut than they do to keep 3 of those being out 2017, 2018 first round picks. 

The writing was on the wall that they knew this season would be rough. They Chose dead cap and draft picks over keeping under preforming guys, who were nevertheless talented. They picked two developmental guys in the 1st round. They left free agency with an assortment of depth guys, over the hill veteran leadership guys, cheep risky guys who may be good and maybe a role player or two. they traded away 2018's roster so they'd have more tools to build 2019's roster.

The last 12 months set the stage for McBeane's gambit and the next 12 months will ultimately determine if it will pay off. 

Getting terrible and accumulating picks is the easy part.  Almost all of those draft resources netted from the trade activity you described was invested in 2 players in April.  We have 6 draft picks next year.  But at least we have $91MM to fill all the holes they created with next year's Bodines, Phil Gaines, Murphy, Star and Kerley.  

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Do you understand that a team up against the cap should have a franchise QB and average more than 8 wins? We had bloated contracts to underperforming players that were impossible to get out of without major dead money.

So why the horrible FA signings.  Good thing they got rid of the underperforming players. Cause this team is just hitting on all cylinders. 

1 hour ago, BrooklynBills said:

Bodine - basically a 1 yr deal

Murphy - basically a two year deal but they can get out easy after this year if they want

Davis - 1 year deal

Gaines - 1 year deal

Newhouse - 1 year deal

Kerley - 1 year deal

Don't see how they are worth complaining about.

I have problems with some of what these guys have done but so far cap management is not one of them.

The plan is pretty clear IMO. They went scorched Earth with cap and used attitude and not buying in as an excuse. 

The are going to use the cap rollover loophole to build perpetual cap space moving forward just like the jags have recently done to build most of my their defense and OL. It is what the 49ers are currently doing.

How do you develop a QB or keep him safe w this oline and WRs? 

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Getting terrible and accumulating picks is the easy part.  Almost all of those draft resources netted from the trade activity you described was invested in 2 players in April.  We have 6 draft picks next year.  But at least we have $91MM to fill all the holes they created with next year's Bodines, Phil Gaines, Murphy, Star and Kerley.  

I can’t think of another team that traded players for picks like we did. 

4 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

So why the horrible FA signings.  Good thing they got rid of the underperforming players. Cause this team is just hitting on all cylinders. 

Our free agent signings were fine for the depth and role players that they are. 

6 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Some people just want to believe the team is in good hands no matter how obvious the blunders. 

Just pointing out what the plan was. The real key will be if the huge number of changes we get next year work out. 

13 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

He needs an offensive minded HC who understands the importance of building an offense around him.

I think they knew but knowing and having the resources to do it are 2 different things. 

23 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Do you understand that a team up against the cap should have a franchise QB and average more than 8 wins? We had bloated contracts to underperforming players that were impossible to get out of without major dead money.

And now we have smaller contracts for less talented yet still underperforming players.  Mostly short term deals.  So next year we can plug 20 open roster spots in free agency AND improve at skill positions.  And all without over paying!!

Just need to get out from under Shady, Hughes, and Clay's contracts and we'll be ready to compete for a Big 12 title in 2019.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Batman1876 said:

Just pointing out what the plan was. The real key will be if the huge number of changes we get next year work out. 

I think they knew but knowing and having the resources to do it are 2 different things. 

well enjoy this season I guess.  the plan is in motion. 

1 minute ago, Batman1876 said:

Look at what Sashi Brown did a few years ago.  The Browns had 14 picks in the draft. 1-31.

7 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

So why the horrible FA signings.  

Making the mistake of signing Vontae Davis for $5 million is not a "horrible" FA signing. Don't you guys pay attention to the rest of the league? The Patriots paid Gillislee $4 million last year and he didn't start most of their games. I remember all the salary cap geniuses around here that thought we should have kept him. Low level free agent signings are going to be hit or miss. Our big signings last year were Poyer and Hyde - I would say those worked out pretty well. Lotulelei is doing exactly what he's supposed to, taking up blockers and letting the LBs roam free. Trent Murphy has been injured. We turned McCarron into a free 5th round pick. Are those the horrible FA signings you're talking about? How about the draft because I think we've nailed 5 out of our last 6 picks in rounds 1-3. That's where GMs make their money.

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Who were the bloated contracts to underperforming players?  Other than MD?

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

So next year we can plug 20 open roster spots in free agency AND improve at skill positions. 

These are our major needs:

DE

OG

RT

WR

LB

Our secondary needs:

RCB

DT (to replace Kyle)

TE

We have 9 draft picks and $65 million in free cap space. It will be doable. I'm not saying we will have all pros at every position, and one of those positions will probably remain a need until 2020. But this is what a rebuild looks like.

Edited by HappyDays

2 minutes ago, stony said:

Who were the bloated contracts to underperforming players?  Other than MD?

Clay, Tyrod, Cordy (after Dawkins made him expendable) , Sammy on his way to his current payday. Let me put it this way, we were spent to the cap last year and the cap hit for those contracts was going to grow this year. Did we have a roster whose talent matched our spending? 

3 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Clay, Tyrod, Cordy (after Dawkins made him expendable) , Sammy on his way to his current payday. Let me put it this way, we were spent to the cap last year and the cap hit for those contracts was going to grow this year. Did we have a roster whose talent matched our spending? 

Tyrod restructured a short term deal paying him average starter money and Watkins was on his rookie deal.  Flat out wrong.  Watching this offensive line, its hard to say a real NFL tackle was "expendable".  Why is Clay still here if Beanius is crushing it? 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Tyrod>Peterman. Obviously and he wouldn't be here after this season.

Cordy> better than any awful player we put at RT

Watkins>Benjamin. Watkins opens up the offense for EVERYONE. Benjamins slow with bad knees and doesn't seem to give a !@#$.

We'd still be in more than solid shape salary cap wise in 2019 if all these players at their current contracts were still on the team.

Wed be in worse shape cap wise this year and have fewer assets.  17 mil for a 4 game tyrod rental is steep. Watkins has a 20 mil cap hit next year Kelvin is 0. Cordy is good but I’d rather have Allen or Edmunds. Cordy Tyrod and Watkins would have cost us 31 million. Which is more than we spent this year on all our signings combined.