WR Will be Toughest Position to Fix

BuffaloBaumer

It is likely that Buffalo will get either Bosa, Oliver or Little with a top 3 pick. If they pick Little, they can overpay for a guard in free agency and that should be a good start for the line. Would they then move Dawkins to the right side or does that not make sense? If they pick Bosa or Oliver, it would transform the D instantly. They can then add a DB and guard in FA as well. 

The one thing they will not do is draft a WR with 1st pick. There is no way that a true #1 receiver will be available in FA so how are they going to fix this position? Benjamin is surely gone after this year and then there is a pile of garbage that remains on the roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

A good QB with decent protection can let his wrs get open.   While it might be the toughtest to fix, we've seen good QBs make mediocre wrs work forever.     Get the protection fixed, get the running game going, and we can scheme to get wrs open.   But when you don't have 2.5 seconds for a route to develop because you're getting sacked, it doesn't really matter who's open and who isn't. 

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

It is likely that Buffalo will get either Bosa, Oliver or Little with a top 3 pick. If they pick Little, they can overpay for a guard in free agency and that should be a good start for the line. Would they then move Dawkins to the right side or does that not make sense? If they pick Bosa or Oliver, it would transform the D instantly. They can then add a DB and guard in FA as well. 

The one thing they will not do is draft a WR with 1st pick. There is no way that a true #1 receiver will be available in FA so how are they going to fix this position? Benjamin is surely gone after this year and then there is a pile of garbage that remains on the roster. 

Re Little - Could always move dawkins to guard, and draft a new center in the 2-3 rounds.  It's not like - wonderful amazing line.  but it will be better than this dumpster fire.  

RE WR - the free agent's are not good.  The best ones get extensions not released.  Benjamin looks bad and i'm glad they didn't extend him.  Honestly they need a slot guy to get open quick, or a scat back that does something similar.  This is the guy you find when you don't have time.  

Drafting a receiver in the first three rounds will help. One thing I noticed while watching red zone channel yesterday was how many rookie receivers were getting mentions and contributing. Pettit, Sutton, etc. 

Edited by Domdab99
  • Like (+1) 1

I thought they'd be fine with the quick rhythm passing game from Peterman because they have been running free and wide open through opposing defenses since last season.  :)  Actually no.  They are more like a WR corpse vs. a corps with the need for a major talent infusion.

I'm not so sure that some of this doesn't come to scheme.  I'll have to back to the tape, but it sure looked to me like we're right back to zero motion, zero combination routes, etc.  just like we had under (name the OC here).  It looked more like just have everyone run a route, and hope against hope that the defender forgets to cover you!

34 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Then set about improving everything else around it. A flanker type back that is a good receiver, a TE, and obviously the Oline.

17 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

A good QB with decent protection can let his wrs get open.   While it might be the toughtest to fix, we've seen good QBs make mediocre wrs work forever.     Get the protection fixed, get the running game going, and we can scheme to get wrs open.   But when you don't have 2.5 seconds for a route to develop because you're getting sacked, it doesn't really matter who's open and who isn't. 

A Great QB throws his WRs open.

Also, were was that NE short slant that allows the ball to come out immediately.

Not a Peterman excuse post but Nate could have hit those. Allen is going to need to have a relief option frequently which I didn’t see yesterday.

Just now, Buffalo Boy said:

A Great QB throws his WRs open.

Also, were was that NE short slant that allows the ball to come out immediately.

Not a Peterman excuse post but Nate could have hit those. Allen is going to need to have a relief option frequently which I didn’t see yesterday.

our offense was unbelievable bad.   I can't tell you what the heck they were doing because other than Allen's scrambles every snap is a blur of the QB running for his life and getting sacked or a RB going for a loss. 

3 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

our offense was unbelievable bad.   I can't tell you what the heck they were doing because other than Allen's scrambles every snap is a blur of the QB running for his life and getting sacked or a RB going for a loss. 

Agreed.

It SEEMED as if they were running deeper routes which was exactly the opposite of what they need to do.

Watching JA back there waiting for stuff to open was scary.

Just now, OJ Tom said:

Yep.they might not get a great wr, but it actually should be pretty easy to improve upon what they have now. Because what they have now is the bottom of the barrel.

For sure no one appears to be able to get open. Out of that list I posted above I think Tate would be a great addition.  He is great after the catch. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yesterday’s travesty has me more worried about bad defense. This was the year that supposedly got fixed. (??) Next year, the offense..

For as horrible as NP. WR’s & OL are, none of them gave up 47 points..

The Ravens scoring drives for 20 points yesterday were a grand total of 20 yards.    That's a killer for any defense...