Was there a solid plan on the QB after Tyrod left?

Another Fan

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

Mccarron was throwing to the best receiving corps in the league, a high powered offense including a stud rb at the time and a great line.

Most QBs would look that good in that group.

If teams don't game plan for QBs, please explain to me why mccarron looked like dogsh*t in the preseason?

That's right, because he sucks too.

Peterman just sucked less in the preseason and practice.

I can go back and forth all day, but to keep it simple I will sum it up with this.

Mccaron sucks. Peterman is historically bad. 

Did I miss anything?

6 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Mccarron was throwing to the best receiving corps in the league, a high powered offense including a stud rb at the time and a great line.

Most QBs would look that good in that group.

If teams don't game plan for QBs, please explain to me why mccarron looked like dogsh*t in the preseason?

That's right, because he sucks too.

Peterman just sucked less in the preseason and practice.

how did McCarr on suck more in PS? He had more yards and TDs and generated the most points. And showed some serious cajones in the la st game.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yes, the plan is to develop Josh Allen.  That’s what you have to do if you take a QB top 10.  Tyrod Taylor would have cost way too much to keep around as a back up.  I honestly think they thought they had more in McCarron.  They obviously were wrong.  It happens.

It’s the Josh Allen show now.

Let's hope so.  Peterman knows his bible front and back, so it will be hard to get him out of there.

I think the plan  was to draft the future QB for the franchise- and find a guy to keep the seat warm in McCarron or Deuce.

cleveland made a good offer for TT. I guess you had to take it. I’d rather have kept him as the seat warmer for the rook. 

The o line thing unraveled with wood and cog and then add in a brand new offense.... 

This team is in shambles right now.

32 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I can go back and forth all day, but to keep it simple I will sum it up with this.

Mccaron sucks. Peterman is historically bad. 

Did I miss anything?

They both suck.

We should have help mccarron.

Peterman earned the start.

That's all there is to it.

We are arguing which pile of sh*t smells worse at this point.

27 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

how did McCarr on suck more in PS? He had more yards and TDs and generated the most points. And showed some serious cajones in the la st game.

Peterman: 33/41 (80.5%) 431 yards 3 td 0 int. Sacked 2 times

Mccarron: 23/50 (46%) 293 yards  3 td 2 int. Sacked 7 times

Please tell me how he had more yards and generated the most points?

I'll be here waiting.

11 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

They both suck.

We should have help mccarron.

Peterman earned the start.

That's all there is to it.

We are arguing which pile of sh*t smells worse at this point.

If you want to say Peterman deserved the start, fair. Even though I would not have started him.

It was obvious to me even before yesterday`s game that Peterman performs at a much higher level when there is no game planning as he has huge limitations.

He is too easy to game plan against. Weak arm. Can't stretch the field. Panics and just chucks up the ball under pressure. 

Those things he does not possess^ would scream to blitz him and to take away the short throws.

Which is precisely what LA did last year and what Baltimore did yesterday.

The result? Arguably the worst 60 minutes combined for a NFL QB

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

A solid plan? Yes. And it involves waiting to see what happens with the guys they kept, observing the consequences after far more than one game, and acting accordingly.

A solid plan that would make us look like a good offense this year? Nope. That was always a fairly low possibility. And that's OK. Football personnel plans should be long-term.

If we'd wanted to look as good as possible this year we should've kept Tyrod. Or brought in Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins.

Well stated

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think it was AJ McCarron but he never put the nail in the coffin in the competition.  He allowed Peterman to stay in.

Peterman has burned McDermott twice now.  We should have kept AJM.

Now it's Allen.  Might be earlier than they wanted but you simply can't trot out Peterman again.  

As for the “open competition” in training camp/preseason: no right thinking coach is going to make a personnel decision based solely on performance in practice and in exhibition games. You know who sucked in spring training in MLB this year? Shohei Otani, the 2-way pitching/HR hitting phenom from Japan. You know who was really good once the real season started, both at the plate and on the mound? Mr. Ohtani (until he got hurt). MCCarron had a 4-year NFL track record of being a solid backup. There was every reason to believe he’d have been a serviceable starter in the bridge QB mold. Peterman, on the other hand, had no track record of even modest success. So that’s what you get when you take that standard bs comment about “open competition” seriously. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

2 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Peterman: 33/41 (80.5%) 431 yards 3 td 0 int. Sacked 2 times

Mccarron: 23/50 (46%) 293 yards  3 td 2 int. Sacked 7 times

Please tell me how he had more yards and generated the most points?

I'll be here waiting.

Still waiting.

5 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Still waiting.

Still waiting?

Ok, you are right that Nasty Nate had more passing yards.

However I tallied it up in PS and I was right, the Bills scored the most points when AJ was under center.

AJ  38

Nasty Nate   26

JA 19

And AJ had the longest pass play at 62 yards.

But to me the tie breaker is that in regular season play, AJ has 6 TDs and 2ints whereas Nasty Nate has 2 TDs and 8 ints.

I hope that was worth the wait.

Edited by reddogblitz

15 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I’m hoping any discussions on this are for not brining Taylor back here.  Had no problem with the move even today.  I wonder though if there was a solid plan in place going forward after replacing him.  The whole acquiring and then trading AJ struck me as just being very wishy washy and didn’t make sense.  

Not against Allen but I often wonder if that was a last second decision contrary to what OBD says.  

They did..but they got bit in FA when the Jets, Broncos swooped on Bridgewater and Keenum. Both are much better than McAaron or Nate

6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Still waiting?

Ok, you are right that Nasty Nate had more passing yards.

However I tallied it up in PS and I was right, the Bills scored the most points when AJ was under center.

AJ  38

Nasty Nate   26

JA 19

And AJ had the longest pass play at 62 yards.

But to me the tie breaker is that in regular season play, AJ has 6 TDs and 2ints whereas Nasty Nate has 2 TDs and 8 ints.

I hope that was worth the wait.

It wasn't.

You said AJM had more TDs and more yards, he didn't.

Peterman had the same # of TDs, more yards by a significant amount, and had 0 turnovers vs 2 int for AJM this preseason.

Np completed 80% of his passes vs 45%.

Peterman simply had a better preseason.

I don't give a crap what AJM did 3 years ago with the Bengals, which was done with a ridiculous supporting cast in one if the top3 stacked offenses that year.

Matt Flynn threw like 7 TDs in one game 5 years ago.

Should we go sign him (again) too?

BOTH AJM and np suck.

Np earned the start.

We shouldn't have traded AJM.

It was idiotic to put all the eggs in the np basket, at least we can agree on that, but let's stop acting like we traded away Steve young.

18 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

Based on what is McCarron better than Peterman?  NP outplayed AJM all preseason and camp. 

McCarron isn't great but he is 10x better than Peterman. So is Tyrod.

As much as I want the top pick in next year's draft, coaches should be trying to win football games. I want to see the Bills win.

Btw, if handled properly (gigantic IF) a #1 pick in 2019 could set this team up for several years.

19 hours ago, ngbills said:

Playing Peterman was virtually unprecedented. Since 1971, only one QB with less starting experience had started the opener over a rookie who had been drafted in the top 10. That was Doug Pederson, who started ahead of Donovan McNabb. But at least Pederson had five years and 21 games of NFL experience under his belt.

There ya go.  Perfect.  Peterman’s our SB coach of the future.  All we have to do is wait 18 more years.

15 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I think the plan  was to draft the future QB for the franchise- and find a guy to keep the seat warm in McCarron or Deuce.

cleveland made a good offer for TT. I guess you had to take it. I’d rather have kept him as the seat warmer for the rook. 

See, this is the part I don’t understand.  No, you don’t have to take it.

What do you think the Eagles were offered for Foles?  Far more, yet they didn’t take it.  Why, because when your long-term plan might not be ready to go, it’s worth more to start the season with a capable guy under center than whatever they were offered (1st and a 2nd?).  

Yet we’re supposed to believe a 3rd round pick is of greater importance to the Bills than having a proven capable QB on the roster ahead of our raw long-term plan rookie.

I “get it” that’s water under the bridge now, but I don’t get the exculpatory logic here.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There ya go.  Perfect.  Peterman’s our SB coach of the future.  All we have to do is wait 18 more years.

See, this is the part I don’t understand.  No, you don’t have to take it.

What do you think the Eagles were offered for Foles?  Far more, yet they didn’t take it.  Why, because when your long-term plan might not be ready to go, it’s worth more to start the season with a capable guy under center than whatever they were offered (1st and a 2nd?).  

Yet we’re supposed to believe a 3rd round pick is of greater importance to the Bills than having a proven capable QB on the roster ahead of our raw long-term plan rookie.

I “get it” that’s water under the bridge now, but I don’t get the exculpatory logic here.

No one has been more irritated about (1) the bashing of TT and extreme overexageration of his inabilities and diminishing of his contributions to the franchise (2) starting the clown they trotted out Sunday.  

On 2, In his little action even last year, it’s obvious of all the QBs the bills have had in the past two decades that fold under pressure- he is the worst and it’s not even close. 

On 1, I think they had to take a pick for him because they didn’t want him or his style of play. They wanted to run an offense that doesn’t fit him at all and just like dismissing Preston brown, they are accumulating team building draft capital to start competing in 2019 and 2020. 

The problem is serviceable bridge QBs aren’t even that easy to find. 

I believe they had already written this season off and the Cap situation was never going to allow them to field a competitive team and fill the holes. 

Wood and cog were the nail in the coffin. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

4 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

It wasn't.

You said AJM had more TDs and more yards, he didn't.

Peterman had the same # of TDs, more yards by a significant amount, and had 0 turnovers vs 2 int for AJM this preseason.

Np completed 80% of his passes vs 45%.

Peterman simply had a better preseason.

I don't give a crap what AJM did 3 years ago with the Bengals, which was done with a ridiculous supporting cast in one if the top3 stacked offenses that year.

Matt Flynn threw like 7 TDs in one game 5 years ago.

Should we go sign him (again) too?

BOTH AJM and np suck.

Np earned the start.

We shouldn't have traded AJM.

It was idiotic to put all the eggs in the np basket, at least we can agree on that, but let's stop acting like we traded away Steve young.

OK.  I'll agree to that but I never said anything remotely like we traded Steve Young. I wanna straighten that out because I know you're a stickler for details.

Not caring what guys did in the past in real games and instead going by pre season stats is among other things what got us here, but carry on.

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

OK.  I'll agree to that but I never said anything remotely like we traded Steve Young. I wanna straighten that out because I know you're a stickler for details.

Not caring what guys did in the past in real games and instead going by pre season stats is among other things what got us here, but carry on.

I'm a detail whore because I'm OCD btw, I really can't help it.

Wife gets mad at me about it all the time.

I just don't put much stock in AJM's Cincinnati time because he was in a stacked offense.

Kind of like Matt Cassel with his limited time in NE, Flynn in GB.

I mean we also put stock in rob Johnson's limited regular season sample too.

We can agree to disagree on that though.

Let's also agree to disagree on who earned the start.

Let's meet in the middle and agree on some stuff though:

-we should have kept AJM simply because np, regardless of preseason, was still very much a "this guy might still suck" player

-if we kept AJM we could have put him in and at least seen what he could do in the regular season

-our oline and wr corps both are atrocious

-we need another QB because, even if Allen is okay starting, np isn't even a viable backup

That cool?

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Let's meet in the middle and agree on some stuff though:

-we should have kept AJM simply because np, regardless of preseason, was still very much a "this guy might still suck" player

-if we kept AJM we could have put him in and at least seen what he could do in the regular season

-our oline and wr corps both are atrocious

-we need another QB because, even if Allen is okay starting, np isn't even a viable backup

I agree to all that (especially the bolded).

Sorry about calling you out on the details thing.  I know dealing with wives can be difficult :)

Cool.  Go BILLS !!

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1