Hypothetical 2019 scenario, please comment

elltrain22

This is a really good (and realistic) question. The best case scenario would be to end up at 1 and have teams fighting to get there for the QB. You take a package that only moves you a couple of picks and STILL get Bosa or Oliver. If you could do something like what the 49ers did with the Bears 2 years ago it would be good. You take the stud DL and then load up on offense. You need OL and pass catchers. Just keep taking the best guy available at those spots. Outside of Dawkins you might not have an OL or WR that will start next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Don't forgot RB.

It is McCoys last season here, IMO.

It would've helped to hold onto Watkins, Darby, Glenn, and Dareus instead of what looks to be bad FA signings and draft picks.  The cupboard is now bare. But McBeane needed their "process" guys.

Instead we are lookinn at a 3 year rebuild. Not sure McBeane make it through if blow outs like yesterday continue and lack of progress is seen. 

True. Forgot about McCoy who we should be trying to trade asap. 

In terms of building blocks, all I see on the roster is Tredavious White, Tremaine Edmunds and possibly Josh Allen. You're stretching it to include Dion Dawkins who doesn't look like he's ever going to be a dominant LT but might be a decent one for a while. 

3-4 guys out of 53 look like long term building blocks. That's simply pathetic for an NFL franchise. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

True. Forgot about McCoy who we should be trying to trade asap. 

In terms of building blocks, all I see on the roster is Tredavious White, Tremaine Edmunds and possibly Josh Allen. You're stretching it to include Dion Dawkins who doesn't look like he's ever going to be a dominant LT but might be a decent one for a while. 

3-4 guys out of 53 look like long term building blocks. That's simply pathetic for an NFL franchise. 

It's not a premier position, but Harrison Phillips is a guy I expect to be around for a long time.

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It's not a premier position, but Harrison Phillips is a guy I expect to be around for a long time.

He might be around for a while but I'm not sure he's a guy we wind up building our defense around. 

In terms of building blocks, the only ones I see are White, Edmunds and Allen, with Dawkins as a guy who could hold the fort at LT for a while but not necessarily dominate. 

The only other decent players on the roster are guys who have been in the league for at least 6-7 years.

Doug Whaley obliterated this roster while he was GM. His drafting was horrendous and his free agent signings had terrible cap ramifications. He put us in a bad spot, but I'm not sure the current regime has the eye for talent to turn this around. 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

They had blocks in place. 

They traded them away because of "process." 

Its what happens when you have an inexperienced owner giving an inexperienced HC and GM the ability to do whatever the hell they want. 

Agreed. 

Would be really nice to still have Sammy Watkins on the roster. He's still only 25 years old!!! 

Just now, jrober38 said:

He might be around for a while but I'm not sure he's a guy we wind up building our defense around. 

In terms of building blocks, the only ones I see are White, Edmunds and Allen, with Dawkins as a guy who could hold the fort at LT for a while but not necessarily dominate. 

The only other decent players on the roster are guys who have been in the league for at least 6-7 years.

Doug Whaley obliterated this roster while he was GM. His drafting was horrendous and his free agent signings had terrible cap ramifications. He put us in a bad spot, but I'm not sure the current regime has the eye for talent to turn this around. 

Based on the talent pool available, I think it's going to take some trades to pull off. Kind of like the Watkins trade for the Rams. They weren't getting a WR like that in FA.

1 hour ago, elltrain22 said:

Yes, I am already  bringing up 2019. We are terrible, in every sense of the word. I think we are a 4-win, at best, team. With that said, I anticipate we'll be in the top 3 for next year's NFL draft. So, here's my hypothetical question. If we are drafting at #1 next year, would  you rather take Oliver or Bosa at #1 pick, or move down to 4, 5, or 6, get a nice package of 2nd and 3rd round picks, and draft O-line & WR. What say you??

1 hour ago, Skins Malone said:

Hmmm good question.  Depends on free agency as well.  This team has alot of holes and we could use picks...but we already have a good number and it would be nice to get the best player in the draft.  For the draft gurus...who would must likely be there in the 4-6 range that you like?

elltrain, skins makes a good point.

I know Oliver and Bosa are suppose to be special players, but I think FA is going to be a little tough to get even some of what we need.

...yeah, I move down.  They really do need about 6 starters in the first 100 picks, or so.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

2 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

You're including this of course.

If you think you are clever trying to make some point, you are not, you are an idiot. I was asked a question, do you believe, I responded "Yes", that is not stating my opinion as a fact, it is respondiong yes or no. To make it easier for you to understand, "Yes I believe...".

5 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

elltrain, skins makes a good point.

I know Oliver and Bosa are suppose to be special players, but I think FA is going to be a little tough to get even some of what we need.

...yeah, I move down.  They really do need about 6 starters in the first 100 picks, or so.

Yeah i think i would be okay with either scenario.  I wonder how many teams would be willing to move up for Bosa

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

If you think you are clever trying to make some point, you are not, you are an idiot. I was asked a question, do you believe, I responded "Yes", that is not stating my opinion as a fact, it is respondiong yes or no. To make it easier for you to understand, "Yes I believe...".

There you go stating opinion as fact.  You should have said "I believe you are an idiot."

I'm in the trade down camp - just not too far.  Give us a haul of picks, move down (but still within top 3 - 5) and draft it up!

Also, there's this non-hypothetical for next year:

@billbarnwell

The Bills are starting the year with $53.3 million in dead money as Brandon Beane rebuilds their roster. Nobody else in the NFL is over $27.8 million. It’s going to be a tough season, but Buffalo will have more than $90 million in cap space next year.

Spend the heck out of that $90M!

1 hour ago, elltrain22 said:

Yes, I am already  bringing up 2019. We are terrible, in every sense of the word. I think we are a 4-win, at best, team. With that said, I anticipate we'll be in the top 3 for next year's NFL draft. So, here's my hypothetical question. If we are drafting at #1 next year, would  you rather take Oliver or Bosa at #1 pick, or move down to 4, 5, or 6, get a nice package of 2nd and 3rd round picks, and draft O-line & WR. What say you??

fantastic question.   I think since we have 10 picks overall, I'd rather get a game-changer like Oliver or Bosa (see what Mack and Von Miller did yesterday!) and then trade-down in the 2nd or back into the first to grab OL, LB, WR, etc.  

11 minutes ago, Heitz said:

I'm in the trade down camp - just not too far.  Give us a haul of picks, move down (but still within top 3 - 5) and draft it up!

Also, there's this non-hypothetical for next year:

Spend the heck out of that $90M!

any lists of who OL FA's will be, and WR or LB?  

27 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

They may anyway. Need to get a competent back up 

Another great question.  what if a QB you like is there in round 2.   I think that would be the earliest.  Hard to grade Allen behind this OL, but he did have a higher QBR than TT yesterday.  

28 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

That is true.  If we trade down and get a few more picks where do you think we should take a QB if we do?

Third maybe?

It’s used to be there were a bunch of serviceable vets floating around like fits/Orton/Chad Henne/Hoyer types.

Seems to have dried up, so gotta find one. 

Here is a FA list: 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000946100/article/2019-nfl-free-agency-preview-fine-crop-of-dlinemen-safeties

fun tool to play with: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ufa/wide-receiver/

OL looks thin.  Getting Barr, Cobb and Tate would be tremendous, and I'd keep KB in that scenario--I imagine he's cheap.   Tyler Lockett could be the guy to get as the "take the top off".  

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Third maybe?

It’s used to be there were a bunch of serviceable vets floating around like fits/Orton/Chad Henne/Hoyer types.

Seems to have dried up, so gotta find one. 

Here is QB list.  Looks like Bridgewater is a UFA, in terms of vet backups some other interesting names.   https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ufa/quarterback/

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

fantastic question.   I think since we have 10 picks overall, I'd rather get a game-changer like Oliver or Bosa (see what Mack and Von Miller did yesterday!) and then trade-down in the 2nd or back into the first to grab OL, LB, WR, etc.  

any lists of who OL FA's will be, and WR or LB?  

Another great question.  what if a QB you like is there in round 2.   I think that would be the earliest.  Hard to grade Allen behind this OL, but he did have a higher QBR than TT yesterday.  

Tyrod was Tyrod. Threw for about 200 yds, did a ton with his feet. Got Cleveland their first non loss in a very, very long time. 

Re: Allen, I don’t care about grading him. He’s going to have to learn NFL football. It can be slow or he can rip off the band aid and do it the hard way. 

Based Ed on the display yesterday, this team isn’t contending for anything other than a top draft pick.

may as well incur the pain of onbthe job training now. 

If peterman has any trade value at all, he can’t ever step on regular season field for Buffalo again.