Run game needs to be a stable....

So, we have 3 running backs in our RB "stable".

McCoy who is a GREAT pass catcher / make a guys miss / bubble screen them to death RB with the occasional 20 yard race to the edge for a 4 yard gain. He has breakout ability in open space. 

Chris Ivory is "meh" but in the end he is just a hard runner that isn't that quick but will bowl over a few guys for a few extra yards and is a good "change of pace" back.

Marcus Murphy.....man this kid is good. It's his vision. He sees the holes before they are there and hits them at top speed. He also has the strength to push the pile. 

In the end we have 3 RB's with slightly different skill sets but all I saw for the first 3 quarters of the game was "LeSean McCoy runs it up the middle" and was "somehow" stopped by the 9 guys they had stacked in the box. NSS. Explain to me why we didn't have a healthy dose of MM and CI up the middle while allowing LM do what he does best? Why is it that every OC we have had since we got McCoy seems to think he is an every down "up the middle" running back? Why is it that when its raining and our main RB (who LIVES on the cut that he can't possibly make on the wet ground) keeps on being given the ball and getting blown up?

We have a stable of running backs and we need to start using them and adapting plays to their strengths instead of trying to use LeSean McCoy like he is Marshawn Lynch or Adrian Peterson. 

On a final note, I would REALLY like to see Marcus Murphy against a first string defense. He is gold every time he touches the ball and I want to know if its Nathan Peterman Syndrome or not ;).

Edited by Bills4Ever4Life
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

OL can’t block so good luck with that stable

OL didn't block well for murphy in the pre-season games either. What did he do? Made 2 - 3 guys miss. Pushed the pile 5 yeards. Turned negative plays into 2 - 3 yard gains by hitting a whole with explosiveness. I'd like to see if it was just him playing against vanilla defenses and less talent or if he really has it. Either way, mcCoy up the middle is ALWAYS a bad idea....just always. Bad...don't do it ;)

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

Teams will run blitz all season. I don't know why people don't understand the run game we had was 50% Tyrod. Without a threat from the QB there will be on running game. At least not the way we remember it.

I agree. Hoping Allen can change that a bit. He is a pretty good scrambler (no TT). Grasping at straws here ;)

1 minute ago, HeHateMe said:

Every run play is a holding call. 

That's funny because my brother and I kept on joking about how they only flag LeSean McCoy. Every positive play we were like "wait....where is the flag...McCoy got yards....oh wait there it is ;)". I could turn it into a drinking game at this point. 

Teams will run blitz all season. I don't know why people don't understand the run game we had was 50% Tyrod. Without a threat from the QB there will be on running game. At least not the way we remember it.

Tyrod was a threat, but a competent pocket QB is a much greater threat. The thing that was supposed to be Peterman's strength was his ability to recognize the defense and react at the line with quick adjustments and decisiveness. But we've now seen that he can't do that vs. good NFL defenses. He hesitates and doesn't have the tools to overcome. Allen gives you a chance, but after that CIN preseason game I'm pretty sure his defense recognition/adjustment abilities are not where they need to be yet.

5 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

Tyrod was a threat, but a competent pocket QB is a much greater threat. The thing that was supposed to be Peterman's strength was his ability to recognize the defense and react at the line with quick adjustments and decisiveness. But we've now seen that he can't do that vs. good NFL defenses. He hesitates and doesn't have the tools to overcome. Allen gives you a chance, but after that CIN preseason game I'm pretty sure his defense recognition/adjustment abilities are not where they need to be yet.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Sometimes it’s easier to run the ball when your QB is actually a threat to throw the ball.  Just sayin...

Here I said it all in this thread. I don't want to rehash this argument. TT was the best threat the Bills had at QB since the last time we made the Playoffs.

Just now, CuddyDark said:

Here I said it all in this thread. I don't want to rehash this argument. TT was the best threat the Bills had at QB since the last time we made the Playoffs.

Yes he was.  Until we drafted Josh Allen.  Cleveland is already calling for Mayfield after yesterday, and they didn’t lose the game for the first time in two seasons.  Tyrod is better than Peterman, but he is not good.

Sorry, that thread is running across the middle, kinda like most of the open receivers Tyrod couldn't be bothered to locate.

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yes he was.  Until we drafted Josh Allen.  Cleveland is already calling for Mayfield after yesterday, and they didn’t lose the game for the first time in two seasons.  Tyrod is better than Peterman, but he is not good.

Josh Allen is a dream. He's unknown. He's a projection. He's not close to being TT, yet. Maybe he will become a star, we don't know.

Just now, pocoboy said:

Sorry, that thread is running across the middle, kinda like most of the open receivers Tyrod couldn't be bothered to locate.

Playoffs. Winning record.

Ravens played the entire game like it was the red zone.   They had zero respect for Peterman and sold out on stopping the run and played press man. 

He wouldn't/couldn't make them pay.  His protection was fine, I don't want to hear about that.

This will be the game plan of every good defense - We will not be able to run the ball with him at QB.

Edited by SCBills

3 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Josh Allen is a dream. He's unknown. He's a projection. He's not close to being TT, yet. Maybe he will become a star, we don't know.

Kyle Orton got them to a 9-7 record and didn't get Dalton pulling one out of his rear. Call him out of retirement pls!

Edited by pocoboy

5 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

He couldn’t win a game with 6 turnovers caused by his defense 

He still stinks and will be benched soon 

AGAIN     

The run game was not working yesterday.  

Not sure what the OP is asking for either 

Edited by Teddy KGB

38 minutes ago, Bills4Ever4Life said:

So, we have 3 running backs in our RB "stable".

McCoy who is a GREAT pass catcher / make a guys miss / bubble screen them to death RB with the occasional 20 yard race to the edge for a 4 yard gain. He has breakout ability in open space. 

Chris Ivory is "meh" but in the end he is just a hard runner that isn't that quick but will bowl over a few guys for a few extra yards and is a good "change of pace" back.

Marcus Murphy.....man this kid is good. It's his vision. He sees the holes before they are there and hits them at top speed. He also has the strength to push the pile. 

In the end we have 3 RB's with slightly different skill sets but all I saw for the first 3 quarters of the game was "LeSean McCoy runs it up the middle" and was "somehow" stopped by the 9 guys they had stacked in the box. NSS. Explain to me why we didn't have a healthy dose of MM and CI up the middle while allowing LM do what he does best? Why is it that every OC we have had since we got McCoy seems to think he is an every down "up the middle" running back? Why is it that when its raining and our main RB (who LIVES on the cut that he can't possibly make on the wet ground) keeps on being given the ball and getting blown up?

We have a stable of running backs and we need to start using them and adapting plays to their strengths instead of trying to use LeSean McCoy like he is Marshawn Lynch or Adrian Peterson. 

On a final note, I would REALLY like to see Marcus Murphy against a first string defense. He is gold every time he touches the ball and I want to know if its Nathan Peterman Syndrome or not ;).

What magic running plays are we not using that you can suggest that would pile up the yardage against 9 men in the box and a talentless O-line?

The run game wasnt working because the Ravens spent the entire game lining up to stop the run on every play letting the Bill's try and pass it. They knew the Bill's QB wasnt a threat to beat them in the air and he proved them right.

The line would have looked much better had the offence been more then one dimensional and not having to face constant attack to stop the run.

For as bad as Taylor was as a passer, he was a threat to run and make plays with his legs that teams had to account for, just like what the Ravens are expecting from Jackson.

Of course the offence was kept helped by having mediocre WRs who couldnt/wouldn't help out the QB by getting any separation or catching the ball when thrown to them. This team needs much better talent at that position, they need guys who can help make the QB look better and make catches that dont have to hit them square in the numbers.