This team looks scary bad

Niagara Dude

9 minutes ago, Dr. Fong said:

Without a doubt. Nathan Peterman is the worst starting QB in Bills history.

No need to apologize for being young, or alternatively for being a relative newcomer to Bills fandom. But I feel I must introduce you to Gary Marangi.

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=schatz/050812&num=3

1. Gary Marangi, 1976 Buffalo Bills (2-12)
Actual stats: 11 G, 82-for-232, 35.3%, 998 yards, 7 TD, 16 INT
2004 projection: 13 G, 135-for-335, 40.3%, 1,513 yards, 10 TD, 15 INT

But this guy was worse. Marangi managed to lead the Bills to eight straight losses despite the presence of NFL rushing champion Simpson. The 1976 Bills were 2-4 through six games even though veteran Joe Ferguson was having a strong season (9 TDs, only 1 INT). When Ferguson was lost for the year with an injury in Week 7, third-year backup Marangi took over and put on the worst passing performance in NFL history -- so bad that this ranks as the worst quarterback season ever, even though Marangi had positive value when he ran with the ball (230 yards on 39 carries with two TDs).

Marangi managed a handful of touchdowns because Simpson's legs kept putting the Bills into good field position, but check out that completion percentage. Marangi is the only quarterback in history who, even after adjusting to the friendly 2004 offensive environment, ends up with a completion percentage below 45 percent. The 1976 Bills ended up 2-12, and no game tells the story of this season like their Thanksgiving matchup with Detroit. Simpson broke his own NFL rushing record with 273 yards, but Marangi passed for just 15 yards and the Lions beat the Bills 27-14.

Peterman has been worse, no doubt, than anyone else who's played a total of about 2 games of football. But there's something to putting together a sustained period of awful performance. If you want to go down in history as one of the worst ever, quite frankly you can't be as bad as Nate Peterman because you'll never hit that half a dozen (or so) starts threshhold that you need to truly enter into the pantheon of horsecrap. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Whaley was a pretty good GM IMO. He has had some offers. FWIW, he can go back to the Steelers at any point. They think very highly of him. He added talent. Whaley’s mistake was that he didn’t cross all of his “t’s” and dot all of his “I’s.” His biggest mistake as a GM was not having an out in the Dareus contract. There had to be some recourse if he was suspended (again). 

That was beyond his control.  Jim Overdorf had complete control of contracts.  Beane was told he had the choice of keeping him or letting him go and choose to keep him and use him as resource but at his option.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Fong said:

Without a doubt. Nathan Peterman is the worst starting QB in Bills history.

Worst than Billy Joe who did not read playbook? No.  

"Exaggeration is a tool of those unarmed in the battle of wits" my debate teacher taught me.

33 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Tre, Dion and Milano all look to be good picks. Jones is a question mark, and peterman and Tanner were misses. That’s not a bad draft. You are right that the pro scouts look dubious, but it also seems like they were trying to find hidden gems in the discount bin. 

i think their pro player evaluator may need to be replaced.

Greatest day in Bills history since they acquired Jim Kelly and/or Bruce Smith.

Today was the total wake-up call to all the Tyrod haters that it wasn't Tyrod's fault. No Tyrod-led team ever got this embarrassed on O. Ever. We were always pretty much in it.

As a Tyrod supporter, I can concede he might have not been the QB that leads one to the Super Bowl victory...

All said, he was, for all 3 seasons, surrounded by ****ty OCs and practice squad WR. There were star WR but they never stayed heathy.  TT did - when they did, the Bills O excelled.

Today, we had a ****ty college OC, and practice squad WRs, and an even shittier OL.

Not sure what process we are supposed to trust on the side of the ball. The Ravens - a good D - had never held anyone too first downs in the first half - ever.

This is an 0-16 team if there ever was one. The Ravens are really not that good. Tyrod covered up for so much fail on the O side of the ball. Today you saw what it's like to ignore that side of the ball and blame it on a QB you didn't want to pay. Same dude tied the Steelers in his first game as  BROWN. Let the sink in.

I'm a Bills fan first but always outed myself as a Tyrod guy here. Also not a rear view mirror guy. Windshield.

Huge salary cap and draft opportunities coming in 2019. Gotta get a [real] OC first, OL second WR third.

We are pathetic on that side of the ball and have been forever - Tyrod was just good enough to cover it all up. Anyone that argues that is ignoring today and the other time Peterman started,

Obvious AF. You don't have TT to kick around any more.

WAKE. t. F. UP !

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, moshermw said:

Greatest day in Bills history since they acquired Jim Kelly and/or Bruce Smith.

Today was the total wake-up call to all the Tyrod haters that it wasn't Tyrod's fault. No Tyrod-led team ever got this embarrassed on O. Ever. We were always pretty much in it.

As a Tyrod supporter, I can concede he might have not been the QB that leads one to the Super Bowl victory...

All said, he was, for all 3 seasons, surrounded by ****ty OCs and practice squad WR. There were star WR but they never stayed heathy.  TT did - when they did, the Bills O excelled.

Today, we had a ****ty college OC, and practice squad WRs, and an even shittier OL.

Not sure what process we are supposed to trust on the side of the ball. The Ravens - a good D - had never held anyone too first downs in the first half - ever.

This is an 0-16 team if there ever was one. The Ravens are really not that good. Tyrod covered up for so much fail on the O side of the ball. Today you saw what it's like to ignore that side of the ball and blame it on a QB you didn't want to pay. Same dude tied the Steelers in his first game as  BROWN. Let the sink in.

I'm a Bills fan first but always outed myself as a Tyrod guy here. Also not a rear view mirror guy. Windshield.

Huge salary cap and draft opportunities coming in 2019. Gotta get a [real] OC first, OL second WR third.

We are pathetic on that side of the ball and have been forever - Tyrod was just good enough to cover it all up. Anyone that argues that is ignoring today and the other time Peterman started,

Obvious AF. You don't have TT to kick around any more.

WAKE. t. F. UP !

I didn't watch most of that game, but Tyrod lost 47-10 to the Saints last year at home and threw for 56 yards

The problem wasn't moving on from tyrod, it was doing so in a summer where so many QBs changed hands but winding up using Peterman

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, arcane said:

I didn't watch most of that game, but Tyrod lost 47-10 to the Saints last year at home and threw for 56 yards

The problem wasn't moving on from tyrod, it was doing so in a summer where so many QBs changed hands but winding up using Peterman

Point I was making.

TT had a really bad game that day vs the Saints. With practice squad WRs and No OC,. This is my point. He did on the other hand lead the Bills to the first playoff berth in 17 years - with help - but did enough - even with that WR corp and OC. Imagine what he could have done with a real NFL OC and real WRs - like today - he tied the Steelers in his first reg season game as a BROWN! You think Peterman or Josh could do that ?

Just sayin that today exposed Peterman and the lack of attention to the O side of the ball which was formerly blamed on TT.

Gone now. Own it. And frack all TT haters.

3 minutes ago, moshermw said:

Point I was making.

TT had a really bad game that day vs the Saints. With practice squad WRs and No OC,. This is my point. He did on the other hand lead the Bills to the first playoff berth in 17 years - with help - but did enough - even with that WR corp and OC. Imagine what he could have done with a real NFL OC and real WRs - like today - he tied the Steelers in his first reg season game as a BROWN! You think Peterman or Josh could do that ?

Just sayin that today exposed Peterman and the lack of attention to the O side of the ball which was formerly blamed on TT.

Gone now. Own it. And frack all TT haters.

I like TT, will forever have fond memories of him as the best qb of my fanhood (since 2004) and the guy that ended the drought, and think Peterman is the worst QB I've ever seen. But your whole point and original take I was quoting just looks weird as hell. 

TT's 35% completion and 100 yards through 4 quarters today would not have carried over and looked meaningfully different in the rain on this team against guys like Weddle

6 minutes ago, arcane said:

I like TT, will forever have fond memories of him as the best qb of my fanhood (since 2004) and the guy that ended the drought, and think Peterman is the worst QB I've ever seen. But your whole point and original take I was quoting just looks weird as hell. 

TT's 35% completion and 100 yards through 4 quarters today would not have carried over and looked meaningfully different in the rain on this team against guys like Weddle

My points today are 25 % EFF TT haters and 75 % can we finally admit we need elite offensive coaching and real WR.

The 75% is so obvious it hurts. TT was very good, worked his arse off and covered it up by his play.

Today there can be no doubt that just the QB can't do it all - TT did enough - with a very good D - to get the Bills to the playoffs - Josh nor Peterman can do that.

Use the resources coming our way to get:

- a real OC (Roman, Lynne, our college guy now ain't it)

- Real WRs

- real OL

Can no longer blame it on TT.

Its just kind of bizarre to not really address the oline after the departures of wood, cogs, and glenn. i mean why did they even go to cogs about a paycut??! the dude had a probowl year.

You cant reasonably expect a 5th round pick and bodine to realistically cover those holes can you?

idk. i dont get it. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Its just kind of bizarre to not really address the oline after the departures of wood, cogs, and glenn. i mean why did they even go to cogs about a paycut??! the dude had a probowl year.

You cant reasonably expect a 5th round pick and bodine to realistically cover those holes can you?

idk. i dont get it. 

Only thing I can guess with the incognito pay cut is they saw him unraveling before we did. If not, no excuse for that move. Wood? Out of their hands. Glenn was on the sideline most games last year anyways; hindsight I would have still kept him around.

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Whaley was a pretty good GM IMO. He has had some offers. FWIW, he can go back to the Steelers at any point. They think very highly of him. He added talent. Whaley’s mistake was that he didn’t cross all of his “t’s” and dot all of his “I’s.” His biggest mistake as a GM was not having an out in the Dareus contract. There had to be some recourse if he was suspended (again). 

And the fact that basically 3 Head Coaches fell out with him. That eventually has to come down to him in some regard. But generally you and I are on the same page on Whaley. I look at that 2015 roster.... and then I look at this. No comparison.

Beane better hope Allen and Edmunds are stars and then that he uses his capital next year more effectively. Because as much as Terry likes this regime he won't stand for many more embarrassments like last night. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Didn't those same "experts" also say we were going to tank last season?

Last season is just that....Last season.  All you need do is listen to the words of our very own HC and GM to understand they are remaking the roster with the need for many more quality players before the team contends for the playoffs and championships on a perennial basis. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz