A Few Thoughts About the Ravens Game, in no particular order

Virgil

Good summary Virgil.

i thought the OL wasn't as bad as other units considering pass blocking. I agree about the penalties though. They were killers. DuCasse just stinks. Mills and Miller are subpar. The OL coach, which is all on McD and who loves DuCasse is awful. The two guys Beane decided to sign when we lost Wood and Incognito were awful before, awful when we signed them and awful now. They didn't address the OL or WR. I know you cannot fix everything in one year but the effort of Beane and MCD to address the OL and WR is awful. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Virgil said:

2 - Offensive Line - As for the team, I figured I'd start with the only pleasant surprise of the game.  I was expecting the QB's to have zero time to throw as the Ravens usually played with one safety deep and stacked the box.  For the most part, Peterman and Allen had enough time to throw and the offensive line wasn't the reason for the poor passing game.  Now, they didn't create big holes for the running game, but that didn't seem to be in the gameplan early anyways (more on that later).  Overall, they were fine.

(..)

10 - (...)  If I told you that our offensive line would be about average in the game and still told you the end result, would you believe me?  We had 3 blowouts last season and he was able to pull the team together and this was a road game.   Even for those thinking this would be a rebuilding year, we didn't get spanked this hard during our 3-13 season.

Go Bills!

Overall, thanks for sharing the insights from being there.  

One question I couldn’t entirely tell: was it raining as hard when Allen came in?

As for the offensive line, I agree that they were better in pass protection than I expected.  But I believe in the Bills first 4 offensive possessions, there were 3 penalties called on our OL - 2 in 1 series as I recall.  That’s unacceptable.  It’s hard enough on an inexperienced QB without his OL putting the team in a down-and-distance hole consistently.

The D was also unacceptable.  At first, I felt they showed flashes, but they also either had busted coverages all over the place or simply couldn’t execute.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Overall, thanks for sharing the insights from being there.  

One question I couldn’t entirely tell: was it raining as hard when Allen came in?

As for the offensive line, I agree that they were better in pass protection than I expected.  But I believe in the Bills first 4 offensive possessions, there were 3 penalties called on our OL - 2 in 1 series as I recall.  That’s unacceptable.  It’s hard enough on an inexperienced QB without his OL putting the team in a down-and-distance hole consistently.

The D was also unacceptable.  At first, I felt they showed flashes, but they also either had busted coverages all over the place or simply couldn’t execute.

The rain picked up from time to time for both QB’s. It was at the lightest in the 1st quarter 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

All I can say is I'm glad that Minnesota has a dome.  I'm headed there in two weeks, and there is NO WAY that I would sit in bad weather to watch this dumpster fire.  Maybe I'll walk around the stadium  and see the sights when the Bills have the football.

Plan on taking short walks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So @BadOlBills analogized him to Jauron.  Agree/disagree?

He might be. We’ll see. It’s looking bad. I bet he drafts a RB next year with our first pick. 

Edited by The_Dude

My thoughts are that I live about 15 miles north of M&T Stadium in Baltimore County, and I am so glad that I stayed home & didn't go to the game. I'm also glad that I didn't watch it in a sports bar either, surrounded by Ravens fans. Work will be brutal tomorrow; I will be blaming everything on Peterman. :sick:

• Haha (+1) 1

Thanks for the summary especially after sitting through that awful performance and the horrendous weather. It must have felt like a hard punch to the stomach when you left the stadium.  The stadium looked really empty even at the start of the 2nd half. It looked to me that many Ravens fans fled with the game already decided. In any case I agree with most of what you said except for pt 2. The O line was god awful, both qbs were harassed, the rbs had no holes to open up and they took numerous penalties!

5 minutes ago, Rico said:

My thoughts are that I live about 15 miles north of M&T Stadium in Baltimore County, and I am so glad that I stayed home & didn't go to the game. I'm also glad that I didn't watch it in a sports bar either, surrounded by Ravens fans. Work will be brutal tomorrow; I will be blaming everything on Peterman. :sick:

I took heat for saying it, but I see Peterman as way down our list of problems

Unfortunately, because that is not to say he was not a significant problem

• Like (+1) 1

I've been to some bad Bills drubbings - flew down to LA to watch Peterman throw 5 picks last year.  Flew out to Buffalo to watch them lose 56-10 to the Patriots back in 2007.

I think many people forget how bad the middle of last season was.  As a reminder, they lost to the lowly Jets 34-21, to the Saints 47-10, and to the Chargers 54-24 in three consecutive games.

This is now the fourth game McDermott has had in 17 regular season games as a head coach where his team literally played like a JV squad that didn't belong on the field with the other team.  This is seriously troubling to me and it makes me wonder if he's the right guy for the job.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I took heat for saying it, but I see Peterman as way down our list of problems

Unfortunately, because that is not to say he was not a significant problem

The defense was awful. The special teams dropped a snap, missed a FG and gave up a long return. The Ravens scored 47 points. But one TD was a three yard drive from an INT on Peterman. The Ravens got at least two extra series in the first half because we got zero first downs, and scored on a two minute offense they never would have got if Nate wasn't so bad. The team got very discouraged early on all units. 

I don't get this team. I don't understand. Why can't we get the chains moving to get first downs? Forget about touchdowns. JUST get the friggin' first down. That's the victory right there. Ever since Doug Flutie left, we had QBs who couldn't do it on a consistent basis. Yep, NOT even Drew Bledsoe when he was here. They can't get first downs and they hold on to the ball too long. WTF is going on?

Daboll sucks. I hated the hire. "Respect" among coaches. I don't give a crap about that. I produce results. I get respect. That's how it works. His resume flat out sucks. Where does it say "respect?" Does he give cash to the coaches and tell them "Hey don't pay me back. It's on me." Is that how Daboll got his respect?

That's the slogan for this year: "Get the friggin' first down."

-QB is an issue, but I'm not sure putting Allen in will change things all that much, and behind this line he may get injured.  It would be more fun to see Allen in there, but I'm not sure I'd start him yet.

-The D is overrated (I have been saying that in posts leading up to the regular season).  They are average at best. Not awful, but not 'good' as most on here seem to think.  They still can't generate much of a pass rush at all up front, the LB's are ok...and D-backs are slightly above average as a unit (2nd QB is a bit hole now).

The OL is awful  The BEST you can hope for in pass protection is they give the QB a second or two (someone seems to get beat on EVERY play almost) and they are average run blocking. My big concern here is...you need a FEW good players to replace what you have, and that may take more than a year to get it to where you need it.

WRs are below average across the board.  Same as OL...I'm not sure you can fix this entire position with a single draft or FA class.

I'm OK with the coaching for now.  There isn't much to work with.

Our OL is ill-equipped and one of the worst lines in the league. To compound their struggles in pass blocking our receiving corps is at the bottom of the rung. The wideouts can't get open. Benjamin is not a number one receiver and never will be.  Our DL can't put any pressure on the qb making it difficult for the DBs to cover their men. This game was an embarrassment. Simply over-matched by the opposition. 

A couple positives I can take away from this game is we got a glimpse of two promising players in Edmunds and Allen. I'm ambivalent about whether to start Allen for now. Playing behind this putrid OL and getting him battered is inevitable. 

McBeane may have sunk this offense right from the start when it didn't seriously address the OL this offseason. Incognito is a troubled person. But gratuitously allowing your best blocker to leave because of an inconsequential amount of money was foolish. Keeping him for one more year would have made much more sense. 

1. Undisciplined play with penalties causing the offence to move backwards more than forward.

2. The defense was terrible until about half time. They left Wrs wide open and missed a lot of tackles. They did come to life but it was too late. 

3. Horrible game plan, you could tell the Ravens had the Bills figured out and dominated them by half time. 

4. The team couldn't produce on offense. Couldn't run or pass the ball at all. Daboll isn't a wizard. 

The entire team look lost today besides the punting and Murphy returning kicks. Oh wait I forgotten the botched punt, scratch that thought.