Bills vs. Ravens Postgame ?

26CornerBlitz

There are players that look great in OTA’s, but disappear in training camp. Then there are players that look great in training camp/preseason, but bomb out in the regular season, Peterman fits that bill (same with Trent Edwards...looked great in his last preseason, but was pulled by Gailey after two games into the season).

Edited by Jerry Jabber

4 minutes ago, sleeby said:

*Why* did we not run the ball more?  So many throws.  And "the running game wasn't working" is not a valid reply as neither was the passing game.  I laughed in the second quarter when the announcer mentioned the new bill's punter was having a great game.  

I had a flashback to Moorman being the MVP of the first 12 years of the drought.  ?

28 minutes ago, Capco said:

I genuinely believe this is what $54 million in dead cap looks like.  

Short-term, this is going to be ugly.  Long-term, we have reason for optimism.  

The Bills haven't truly bottomed out since the playoff drought started in 1999.  Sometimes you need to take 1 step back before you take 2 steps forward.

I was thinking the same thing during the game. 

Just think about how many starting caliber players that $54M could buy. 

That’s 5 guys at a $10M per year salary, or almost 11 guys at $5M per. I mean, there’s only 11 guys on the field at a time... (not that I realistically think you can sign 11 starters for $5M each, just trying to put it in perspective). 

I don’t think it can be debated that the $54M in dead cap is easily taking away from the quality of product the Bills can field. That’s at the very least a few starters and a lot of depth that they are unable to field this season. 

I am definitely still hopeful for the future. 1 terrible game won’t change that. But that doesn’t make today any less brutal. I hate seeing the Bills get embarrassed so very badly. It makes it hard not to start doubt everything... and I mean everything - from the GM to the ball boy... lol j/k. Seriously though, it does start to plant those seeds of doubt about this GM and coaching staff. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Specifically for the Cap space. I think Beane is responsible for the horrible product on the field right now. 

Beane and McD are on the same page. They wanted to clean house and they did. Unfortunately, they didn't bring in anywhere near what they lost so now they stink. Maybe it'll change over the next few years but that remains to be seen.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Wasn't last year the rebuilding year? Why rebuild the year after making the playoffs?

Because you guys all thought the number 17 was better than 18 when the numbers that actually matter in a rebuild are the draft order.

Just now, Trogdor said:

Specifically for the Cap space. I think Beane is responsible for the horrible product on the field right now. 

Depends how much rope JO has had in structuring the contracts. I wish they would have cleared him out too, but it is hard to determine how much autonomy he has had in contract specifics from the outside looking in.

1 minute ago, StrikeParry said:

True but if they lose like this week in week out it is still a disaster. Most fans will check out. Indy was pretty terrible last year but lost a lot of games due to an inability to hold leads. This doesn’t look like an Indy situation.

Whats the difference. Everything leading up to this year is all about josh Allen and cleaning house and setting up for the future. It sucks. I know. That was a painful game to watch. But at least I get what’s going on here. I agree it’s necessary. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

How can we evaluate Allen based on today? He got in 40 down and Ravens all but called off the dogs. 

They sent a few blitzes but wait until we meet San Diego. Its going to be a party. I honestly am not anxious to get to next week. 

Just now, Agent 91 said:

How can we evaluate Allen based on today? He got in 40 down and Ravens all but called off the dogs. 

They sent a few blitzes but wait until we meet San Diego. Its going to be a party. I honestly am not anxious to get to next week. 

Did they call off the dogs on the field goal drive, because it seemed like they were trying awfully hard to keep the shut out.

4 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

There are players that look great in OTA’s, but disappear in training camp. Then there are players that look great in training camp/preseason, but bomb out in the regular season, Peterman fits that bill (same with Trent Edwards...looked great in his last preseason, but was pulled by Gailey after two games into the season).

Case is Peterman arm. More real pressure to him then pre season or training camp. Even then saw his arm horrible in preseason. That's Peterman major problem. Why shouldn't even start or back up any team only the Bills.

1 minute ago, StrikeParry said:

Depends how much rope JO has had in structuring the contracts. I wish they would have cleared him out too, but it is hard to determine how much autonomy he has had in contract specifics from the outside looking in.

I mean we continue to blame a GM who didn't write contracts or pick the coaches. All this when we already have evidence in the NHL that the owner has no idea what he is doing. Brandon Beane is Tim Murray and it's going to be a bad couple years. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dubs said:

Whats the difference. Everything leading up to this year is all about josh Allen and cleaning house and setting up for the future. It sucks. I know. That was a painful game to watch. But at least I get what’s going on here. I agree it’s necessary. 

Yes we agree. Just want to see something somewhat competitive. Okay to lose this year; don’t want to see a laughingstock. Casual fans will check out. We masochists will still be around, of course.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

Not the D's fault? The Bills Offense and special teams are responsible for all of the 47 points the Ravens put on the board? Did you see this swiss cheese defense the Bills put on the field today? Pathetic and embarrassing.

We regressed in EVERY phase of the team. It has to be hard to destroy a team you built, with principally the same players. We have a new DT, sort of LE, linebacker and corner and we are a world worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, StrikeParry said:

Yes we agree. Just want to see something somewhat competitive. Okay to lose this year; don’t want to see a laughingstock. Casual fans will check out. We masochists will still be around, of course.

I agree. Would be nice too. Not planning on seeing it and don’t think it really impacts the long term anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Trogdor said:

I mean we continue to blame a GM who didn't write contracts or pick the coaches. All this when we already have evidence in the NHL that the owner has no idea what he is doing. Brandon Beane is Tim Murray and it's going to be a bad couple years. 

Oh I blame ownership as well and you’re right - the floundering hockey team is a good example.

• Like (+1) 1