Is Water Wet?

Gugny

Is Water Wet?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is Water Wet?

A friend of mine on FB was saying that his family were insisting that water isn't wet; he disagreed.

I opined that water isn't wet; it makes things that it touches wet.

One of our mutual friends (a chemist) commented:  "Wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to the surface of a solid, so when something is wet, it means that the liquid is sticking to the surface of a material."

What say you?

Edited by Gugny

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I opined that water isn't wet; it makes things that it touches wet. 

One of our mutual friends (a chemist) commented:  "Wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to the surface of a solid, so when something is wet, it means that the liquid is sticking to the surface of a material."

Water molecules stick together (that's the principle behind surface tension), so by your definition, a water molecule is wet because it's touching another water molecule. Therefore, water is wet.

And since water can be a solid, the same logic applies to the chemist's definition.

QED

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Don't you have a drawbridge to raise, or something?

Tow going upbound.  I am filling in for lowly operator... I have lots of disposable time.  No paperwork, data to do! 

Danke!

Try the veal!  I will be here all day to 20:00!  

????

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody (or nothing, device, etc...) is there, does it make a sound?

If a man speaks in the forest and there's no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?

(Credit: Tom and Ray from Car Talk. And their answer was "Yes.")

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Shouldn't this question be in the weed thread? Sounds like a good stoner question....

I use rain-ex windshield fluid, and the water just beads off.   Therefore, I conclude that water isn’t always wet.  It depends on what it comes in contact with.

19 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I use rain-ex windshield fluid, and the water just beads off.   Therefore, I conclude that water isn’t always wet.  It depends on what it comes in contact with.

Nice!  Very persuasive TeflonJohnny!

Yeah... And what about Teflon.  You can pour a gallon of water on it, it doesn't SEEM to get "wet."  Dry as a whistle. Rolls right off like a duck's... And speaking of that...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.