Is Water Wet?

Gugny

Is Water Wet?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is Water Wet?

3 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Water (H3O) is wet, but the components of water (Helium and Oxygen) are not. Air go, water is wet but the parts are not. 

How could water penetrate the membrane that surrounds any atom?  Therefore, water is not wet because nothing ever really gets wet.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

A friend of mine on FB was saying that his family were insisting that water isn't wet; he disagreed.

I opined that water isn't wet; it makes things that it touches wet.

One of our mutual friends (a chemist) commented:  "Wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to the surface of a solid, so when something is wet, it means that the liquid is sticking to the surface of a material."

What say you?

You are correct.

I never thought I'd ever type that.  But yes, you are correct.  But still an idiot.

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Water molecules stick together (that's the principle behind surface tension), so by your definition, a water molecule is wet because it's touching another water molecule. Therefore, water is wet.

And since water can be a solid, the same logic applies to the chemist's definition.

QED

Except quantum mechanics tells us that you can't know the exact position of a water molecule, so they can never really "touch."  Ergo, water cannot be wet.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Water cannot be wet because as the chemist said, wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to a solid 

so water by itself is just a liquid . Touching it makes you wet, not the water wet

Yes, but if the water you touched eventually evaporates...were you really ever wet or just had some water on you?  Like if I throw a raw steak on your face, is your face cow meat?  Of course not.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yes, but if the water you touched eventually evaporates...were you really ever wet or just had some water on you?  Like if I throw a raw steak on your face, is your face cow meat?  Of course not.

That's just stupid.  Of course his face would be sushi.

Anyway.  I voted.  Water is NOT wet.  

18 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Except quantum mechanics tells us that you can't know the exact position of a water molecule, so they can never really "touch."  Ergo, water cannot be wet.

The Uncertainty Principle says that you can know a particle's exact position or its exact velocity, but not both at the same time. For this example, I choose position.

Werner Heisenberg was once pulled over for speeding. The cop asked, "Sir, do you know how fast you were going?" Heisenberg responded, "No, but I know precisely where I am."

Just now, WhoTom said:

The Uncertainty Principle says that you can know a particle's exact position or its exact velocity, but not both at the same time. For this example, I choose position.

Werner Heisenberg was once pulled over for speeding. The cop asked, "Sir, do you know how fast you were going?" Heisenberg responded, "No, but I know precisely where I am."

Did he get tasered?

29 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You are correct.

I never thought I'd ever type that.  But yes, you are correct.  But still an idiot.

You haven't voted yet!*

*Paid for the committee that says WaterIsNotWet.

8 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Steve you ignorant SOB. Just when I thought the human race was cold-hearted, you take it to a whole new level. #RIPSteve

So says the guy that won't vote.?

39 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Isn't this thread started by a guy who was upset over a fake person names tim jim bob dying?

I can say it: Steve You ignorant slut.

I voted.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Momentum, not velocity. 

Which isn't entirely nitpicky, since molecules have thermal energy, and a corresponding momentum.  Meaning in water, you can't know the position of any individual molecule.  Even theoretically, you could only know it at absolutely zero (which still isn't completely, because of the effects of zero-point energy.  

Plus: your chemist friend is wrong.  To "wet" something in chemistry is to cover the surface area of a chemical solid with a liquid.  "Wet" is therefore not a property of the material, but a property of the interface between two materials.  Water, therefore, cannot be "wet", because it has no definable interface with itself.  

Water is not wet, any way you want to argue it.

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

You misspelled “air go”. Carry on. 

You misspeeled "misspeeled."

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You haven't voted yet!*

*Paid for the committee that says WaterIsNotWet.

I haven't voted for the existence of gravity yet, either.  But I'm not floating.

There is no need to vote for facts.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.