Is Water Wet?

Gugny

Is Water Wet?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is Water Wet?

Water is NOT wet.  Water makes some things wet.

Again, does Teflon® get wet?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene

"PTFE is hydrophobic: neither water nor water- containing substances wet PTFE, as fluorocarbons"

http://www.nes-ips.com/teflon-vs-ptfe/

®Registered TradeMark of the DuPont (Chemours) Corporation.

51 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

What about ice cubes in a glass of water? Those could be considered wet.

Ice is water.  A substance is not wet until it touches something else other than itself and then that substance becomes wet.  Water can't be wet.  Getting wet is the state of something else when exposed to a liquid solvent.  In this case, the universal solvent: H2O (water)

And touching yourself doesn't count... Do you want to get hairy palms!  So stop it!

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Ice is water.  A substance is not wet until it touches something else other than itself and then that substance becomes wet.  Water can't be wet.  Getting wet is the state of something else when exposed to a liquid solvent.  In this case, the universal solvent: H2O (water)

And touching yourself doesn't count... Do you want to get hairy palms!  So stop it!

Ice is water is H2O. Water submerged in water, surrounded by water, acted upon by water...I've even heard the phrase 'wet ice' once or twice, dry ice is common and thus its contrapositive. I win.

8 hours ago, WhoTom said:

The Uncertainty Principle says that you can know a particle's exact position or its exact velocity, but not both at the same time. For this example, I choose position.

Werner Heisenberg was once pulled over for speeding. The cop asked, "Sir, do you know how fast you were going?" Heisenberg responded, "No, but I know precisely where I am."

Darn...the file is to big and I don’t know how to fix that, but the coaster says: 

Officer says “you drinking?”

I say “you buying?”

We laughed and laughed! 

I need bail money. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

I think this is a question in a similar vein to “what does chocolate taste like?”

so I voted no.

Chocolate tastes like chocolate.  Unless it's white chocolate, in which case, it tastes like ass.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Chocolate tastes like chocolate.  Unless it's white chocolate, in which case, it tastes like ass.

And you've tasted ass?

Like dog food... How do those commercials now how it tastes.  What dogs love.

But... I am w/You Bro on this whole water is NOT wet, water makes things wet business!

9 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Not reading all of this but water bonds to itself.

Of course.  It makes OTHER things wet.

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=6097

"Being a liquid, water is not itself wet, but can make other solid materials wet.

Wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to the surface of a solid, so when we say that something is wet, we mean that the liquid is sticking to the surface of a material..."

18 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Of course.  It makes OTHER things wet.

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=6097

"Being a liquid, water is not itself wet, but can make other solid materials wet.

Wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to the surface of a solid, so when we say that something is wet, we mean that the liquid is sticking to the surface of a material..."

I will quote myself.  So ice can be wet, but water in liquid form by itself can't.

• 3 years later...
On 9/10/2018 at 11:54 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

I will quote myself.  So ice can be wet, but water in liquid form by itself can't.

Ice isn't wet until it touches something warmer than itself.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.