Rapper Mac Miller dies of apparent OD

Buffalo716

I dont want to sound cold hearted by any means, but we all know drugs are bad. I've done plenty. Probably more than most. There's some I purposely chose not to do (heroin & meth). I grew up with an alcoholic father and saw what it did. I fully agree that addiction is a disease and more resources need to be allocated to the the causes. With that being said I'm less compassionate for someone who OD's thans some poor bastard who tried to live a clean life and comes down with pancreatic cancer for example. 

I think mental illness and addiction are at the forefront of things that need to be addressed in this day and age.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I dont want to sound cold hearted by any means, but we all know drugs are bad. I've done plenty. Probably more than most. There's some I purposely chose not to do (heroin & meth). I grew up with an alcoholic father and saw what it did. I fully agree that addiction is a disease and more resources need to be allocated to the the causes. With that being said I'm less compassionate for someone who OD's thans some poor bastard who tried to live a clean life and comes down with pancreatic cancer for example. 

I think mental illness and addiction are at the forefront of things that need to be addressed in this day and age.

I don’t know, man.  I’ve been to more funerals than I’d care to count for really good people who happened to go down the wrong path and eventually die due to addiction.  It is a disease, IMO.  

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t know, man.  I’ve been to more funerals than I’d care to count for really good people who happened to go down the wrong path and eventually die due to addiction.  It is a disease, IMO.  

There's no question it's a disease.  But what I'm saying is that it think that people are predisposed to addiction based on genealogy. It doesn't necessarily mean that everyone whose parent was an addict is going to be an addict, but I'm thinking it increases the chances. The choice ultimately lies with the individual.  There's a multitude of addictions, most of them aren't healthy (all things in moderation). Unfortunately some of them are deadly, and those are the ones you need to stay away from. Again, I dont want to sound callous because it's a terrible thing to see a friend or love one go through this, but ultimately it come down to choice. 

4 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

There's no question it's a disease.  But what I'm saying is that it think that people are predisposed to addiction based on genealogy. It doesn't necessarily mean that everyone whose parent was an addict is going to be an addict, but I'm thinking it increases the chances. The choice ultimately lies with the individual.  There's a multitude of addictions, most of them aren't healthy (all things in moderation). Unfortunately some of them are deadly, and those are the ones you need to stay away from. Again, I dont want to sound callous because it's a terrible thing to see a friend or love one go through this, but ultimately it come down to choice. 

Really?  Because you sound awful callous ?

I get your point, but I just don’t share your sentiment.  But it’s all good.

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Really?  Because you sound awful callous ?

I get your point, but I just don’t share your sentiment.  But it’s all good.

Well I scored 27 on the empathy test,  so I've got a list of my own things to work on.....I got to mow before the rain comes. Cheers to Friday. 

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This. Drug addiction needs to be the purview of the health care system and not the criminal justice system. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Agreed, however, there’s no money in it. When you see ways for corporations to make money off curing people and stopping addiction, then you’ll see these corporate clowns standing in line.

As it is, they want us to all be addicted to something and keep paying for meds that don’t cure but only curb to keep feeding off the public teet.

Its disgusting 

27 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Agreed, however, there’s no money in it. When you see ways for corporations to make money off curing people and stopping addiction, then you’ll see these corporate clowns standing in line.

As it is, they want us to all be addicted to something and keep paying for meds that don’t cure but only curb to keep feeding off the public teet.

Its disgusting 

As Chris Rock said, the money's in the treatment not the cure.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I agree.  I am gonna be callous.  I am in same boat as you.  My father is an alcoholic. It's totally passed down.  I am less sympathetic to the lazy ones.  I am who I am because of what my father did, the living hell that he put my mother through only for her to die @ an early age because of cancer.  I am more sympathetic towards people like her.  She stood buy him over and over until her end.  It's what cleaned him up.  He finally realized the choices he was making had consequences.

2 hours ago, Sweats said:

Its disgusting 

Yeah, no one can seem to kick those nasty food or oxygen habits these days.

Addiction isn’t a disease. It’s a choice. 

I feel nothing for these dead beats that go down that path in the first place. And even less for the ones that don’t see themselves as needing help. And even less for the scumbags that die from it. Natural selection. This trash was the bottom of the food chain. 

5 hours ago, mrags said:

Addiction isn’t a disease. It’s a choice. 

I feel nothing for these dead beats that go down that path in the first place. And even less for the ones that don’t see themselves as needing help. And even less for the scumbags that die from it. Natural selection. This trash was the bottom of the food chain. 

What about the ones who repeatedly try to get and stay clean...who don't want to be an addict and then die from an OD?  Hope you don't have a son or daughter who make the "wrong choice"...though my bet is you'd feel something different.  Trust me....walk a mile in our shoes bro.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Sweats said:

At the NY State Fair they were offering lessons on how to administer Narcan. But no lessons on CPR or First Aid.