Who will be more ready for 2019 ? Josh Allen or Sam Darnold?

Just now, Skins Malone said:

I do agree because it was somewhat close that may have factored in.  All im saying is if Allen was by far the better QB he would be starting.  A HC cant go into a locker room and basically say this guy is obviously the better QB but we want to protect for a year..sry guys.  Peterman was just more consistent.  And you are right peterman could have looked even worse behind that o line.  My point some people talk like this is just all about protecting Allen.  Thats obsurd.  If he no doubt outplayed peterman he would be starting.

Absolutely Allen was not as consistent , so he will wait for the starting job. That was likely the main plan all along. Remember , the Bills were interested in Sam Bradford on the opening day of FA. The price quickly went too high, but this was an indication of the Bills comfort level with Peterman. They settled on McCarron, but they wanted an experienced vet QB. So it’s not just about protecting Allen, but it’s a significant factor. The first four games are some of the toughest on the schedule. If Allen is injured his rookie year goes to waste. There’s nothing to lose by starting Peterman. He’s suited to a quick game passing philosophy , and was the most consistent. If he makes the most of his chance you keep him in and everyone is happy. If he flames out, you put Allen in and it’s not questioned. Also a factor is Allen’s status. Once Allen is in , you can’t pull him. He gets the better part of 3 seasons. He’s a top ten draft pick. Starting a QB other than Allen that they feel comfortable with was the plan unless Allen surprised everyone early a la Wentz or Russel Wilson. 

2 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Its clear there is no,definitive answer. Different scenarios play out differently for different players. Rodgers benefited sitting. Peyton benefited playing. No way of,telling if they would be better with roles reversed. No need to be snide in your response. 

We all get it. You don't have an answer. No need to post to tell people you don't have an answer. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Absolutely Allen was not as consistent , so he will wait for the starting job. That was likely the main plan all along. Remember , the Bills were interested in Sam Bradford on the opening day of FA. The price quickly went too high, but this was an indication of the Bills comfort level with Peterman. They settled on McCarron, but they wanted an experienced vet QB. So it’s not just about protecting Allen, but it’s a significant factor. The first four games are some of the toughest on the schedule. If Allen is injured his rookie year goes to waste. There’s nothing to lose by starting Peterman. He’s suited to a quick game passing philosophy , and was the most consistent. If he makes the most of his chance you keep him in and everyone is happy. If he flames out, you put Allen in and it’s not questioned. Also a factor is Allen’s status. Once Allen is in , you can’t pull him. He gets the better part of 3 seasons. He’s a top ten draft pick. Starting a QB other than Allen that they feel comfortable with was the plan unless Allen surprised everyone early a la Wentz or Russel Wilson. 

Most successful QBs in the last 20 years that didn't play behind a hall of famer (Rogers) played the majority of their rookie seasons.   

15 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

We all get it. You don't have an answer. No need to post to tell people you don't have an answer. 

Most successful QBs in the last 20 years that didn't play behind a hall of famer (Rogers) played the majority of their rookie seasons.   

Interesting tidbit , although I’m not sure Aaron Rodgers is any better or worse QB because the Packers had Favre when he was drafted. It’s also not nearly set in stone that Josh Allen will not start the majority of his rookie season. He’s behind Nate Peterman after all. Unless Peterman is excellent ( unlikely) Allen will play sooner than later. I still contend that the OL situation had an impact on the decision not to start Allen. The possibility of Peterman being great is remote. There is probably little to be gained for the Bills past his 4th or 5th start. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

This notion this isnt true.  This whole protect Allen thing.  If Allen had come out in the third preseason game and lit it up with the starters(yes the o line was ****)...and looked like a starting QB he would be starting.  Peterman beat him out its that easy.  I would have no problem with Allen starting and maybe he should be but can you honestly say he beat out Peterman for the job?  And if Allen couldnt clearly beat out the "worst QB" in the league as you say what does that say about Allen?

Peterman was the Qb who was protected in the pre-season. He only had two drives against starting d’s. One TD and one Int. was the result. The plan was never to start Allen,  they made it look like Perterman was the logical choice, but it was never a fair competition by design. It will be much easier to play Allen if Perterman fails. But if they had started Allen and he struggled the pressure to pull him would have been immense, his development would be delayed.  If Peterman is able to succeed, it buys more time for Allen to absorb the process before facing the fire. But anyone who thinks that Peterman faced anything like Allen faced against Cinci is not being honest, the players and pressure was different and so was the play calling. 

Im not saying I’m against Peterman starting, nor do I want him to fail. But I don’t think they ever wanted Allen starting this season, the proof is how they ran the pre season reps, during practice & during games. Maybe they know this O-line needs time to gel and hopefully Peterman buys them that time....

Just now, Fred Clause said:

Peterman was the Qb who was protected in the pre-season. He only had two drives against starting d’s. One TD and one Int. was the result. The plan was never to start Allen,  they made it look like Perterman was the logical choice, but it was never a fair competition by design. It will be much easier to play Allen if Perterman fails. But if they had started Allen and he struggled the pressure to pull him would have been immense, his development would be delayed.  If Peterman is able to succeed, it buys more time for Allen to absorb the process before facing the fire. But anyone who thinks that Peterman faced anything like Allen faced against Cinci is not being honest, the players and pressure was different and so was the play calling. 

Im not saying I’m against Peterman starting, nor do I want him to fail. But I don’t think they ever wanted Allen starting this season, the proof is how they ran the pre season reps, during practice & during games. Maybe they know this O-line needs time to gel and hopefully Peterman buys them that time....

Interesting conspiracy theory but what about McCarron, why bring in a guy and pay him that much just to skew it a toward someone else?

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Interesting conspiracy theory but what about McCarron, why bring in a guy and pay him that much just to skew it a toward someone else?

Turned out he stunk, he was supposed to be the bridge, but he proved he was not even better than Peterman... I don’t think they cared between the two of them McCarron never stepped up and separated himself...

Edited by Fred Clause

6 hours ago, Fred Clause said:

Well i do believe it was certainly their plan to bring Allen along slowly.  There were things Allen needed time to fix and still does to a degree.  Im not sure that is particularly about not about wanting him to start but just being smart about fixing things that need working on.  As excited as i may about Allen im also interested to see how Nat does this year.  Either way.  Very good discussion.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Skins Malone said:

Well i do believe it was certainly their plan to bring Allen along slowly.  There were things Allen needed time to fix and still does to a degree.  Im not sure that is particularly about not about wanting him to start but just being smart about fixing things that need working on.  As excited as i may about Allen im also interested to see how Nat does this year.  Either way.  Very good discussion.

Certainly hope Peterman can hold the keys till they think Allen is ready, or they can field a competitive offensive line...

While I guess I understand the OP's premise, the decision for the Bills to make was clearly very simple -- who will give the Bills the best chance to beat Baltimore this weekend.  That decision has nothing to do with "getting Allen ready for 2019."  It also has nothing to do with Sam Darnold.  As soon as the Bills believe Allen gives them a better chance to win the next game than Peterman, or Peterman gets hurt, the change will occur.  Let this progression occur naturally and stop comparing Allen's situation to Darnold's.  Judging from the comments by Todd Bowles, he isn't evaluating it the same way.  He didn't even say Darnold give the Jets the best chance -- he said he gives them "a good chance."  I think Bowles is a crappy head coach and even Darnold isn't going to save his job.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Allen and Darnold are in the petrie dish to allow us to see what prepares a QB better for the future, carrying a clipboard, or playing NFL Games.  Who do you think will be more prepared to play QB in 2019> 

I've always thought Darnold was the best qb by far so......if that is the case, how can you determine if it's experience or not.

The real question should be...who will be more broken for 2019.  To that my answer is darnold.  Darnold is going into this year like Joey Harrington was back in the day for the lions.  Supporting cast questionable.  Pressure on.  And similar college skill sets.  

If he isnt mentally tough...they could break him this year. 

3 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

The real question should be...who will be more broken for 2019.  To that my answer is darnold.  Darnold is going into this year like Joey Harrington was back in the day for the lions.  Supporting cast questionable.  Pressure on.  And similar college skill sets.  

If he isnt mentally tough...they could break him this year. 

So your saying Darnold is more likely to get hurt than Allen because of his questionable cast?

I might not of been paying attention but was the Jets' O-line also really terrible this preseason?

Edited by Warcodered

Just now, AllenWillBust said:

Is his wife T'Pol or something? lol

But I agree with Darnold.  Not to think he's the next great QB, but in this draft class, he will prove out to be the best, and likely the only one worth selecting in the 1st round. 

Huh I'm really surprised by your opinion on this.

Darnold has more QB skills at the moment but isn't as physically talented.  I've been impressed with how quickly Allen has grown though.  His performance in the preseason and senior bowl was far better than his performance at Wyoming last year. If Allen continues to progress as he has so far I feel good about his chances.