What I am taking from our roster cuts

Buffalo716

46 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I think we'll see a lot of two TE formations with both TE's staying in to block, just to keep Peterman and Allen and whatever QB (Moore) they sign today out of concussion protocol because the line is abysmal in pass protection.

I hope it doesn't take long for Teller to take over one of the starting Guard spots or that they can sign an upgrade free agent.

...."paging Bennie Anderson"..............

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yes. The running game gets me excited.

I'd still like to see a balanced offense, though. I'm hoping Peterman can carve up defenses with a lot of dink and dunk (some strategic long shots). It'll look like Gailey's offense. Can Peterman protect the ball better than Fitz? It doesn't look like it.

The RBs are going to play a big role in this, too. We should see Murphy and Shady out wide a lot.

hitting the backs in space will be the key to loosening up a stacked box.     as far as the run game...remember the old counter tre's (sp?) that we ran with thurman? hope to see those kind of pulling plays.

4 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

The Bills finished 6th in rushing yards last season.  Their current O-line is good at run blocking, just not so good at pass protection.

Their rushing DVOA rank was 19th. Running a lot is not the same as running successfully. This year, subtract Richie, Wood and Tuh-Rod's additions to the running game and there is cause for concern there.

2 hours ago, eball said:

Look for a lot of 22 and 21 personnel this season, gents and ladies. And that’s a good thing. This is the best group of RBs and TEs the Bills have had in a while, and it lessens the impact of a below average WR group. 

Fixed, for the better half..

Yes. I agree our RB’s & TE’s are markedly better than previous years. Having holes to run through and time to pass to is the concern.

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I actually kinda hoping that Debol is going to use a passing game that opens things up for the run.......

if we keep trying to run at stacked boxes...its gonna continue to be 2 yards and a cloud of dust......

Our OL looks bad right now...but Im hoping that it is because of new faces in different places on the OL and they get better as the season goes on......

I think we have 2 QBs and an OC who are going to try and push the ball down the field through the air, unlike the past few years which resulted in stacked boxes and became easier to gameplan against as time went on.

Edited by pop gun

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I would add Ray Ray Ray to the running game to some degree. He will get a few touches a game imo and a bunch of those out of the backfield. Or start in the backfield and then go in motion. 

If Allen is in they cannot stack the box. If Nate is in they will without question. 

Agreed.

He's a very quick accelerator and very shifty, I think he'd be good on some reverses

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Ray-Ray, but I suspect he’s still camping on the edge of release. If we sign FA’s to the active squad, he’s on the bubble, imo. At least making the current cutdown should mean he’s likely to pass waivers in a day or two as teams fill out their PS’s. Then he might be placed on ours..

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Ray-Ray, but I suspect he’s still camping on the edge of release. If we sign FA’s to the active squad, he’s on the bubble, imo. At least making the current cutdown should mean he’s likely to pass waivers in a day or two as teams fill out their PS’s. Then he might be placed on ours..

I don't think they see him as a WR. He's a gadget guy and returner. We don't have anyone like him. He's got mad skills. He's not just going to line up wide and run patterns. 

3 hours ago, eball said:

Look for a lot of 22 and 21 personnel this season, gents. And that’s a good thing. This is the best group of RBs and TEs the Bills have had in a while, and it lessens the impact of a below average WR group. 

Yep and that's why we went with blocking TEs over Nick O'Leary.

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

Their rushing DVOA rank was 19th. Running a lot is not the same as running successfully. This year, subtract Richie, Wood and Tuh-Rod's additions to the running game and there is cause for concern there.

True but subtract Dennison's awful scheme and I think we'll be okay. Just going off preseason our line has looked much better run blocking than pass blocking.

The glass half full is that the O line is a decent run blocking unit.  The protection game plan will be the deciding factor.  I think we will see a lot of screens, short throws to big TEs and WRs.  That will set up the 4/5 shots down field using hitch and goes and QB roll outs, and will keep the other teams honest.  

56 minutes ago, pop gun said:

I think we have 2 QBs and an OC who are going to try and push the ball down the field through the air, unlike the past few years which resulted in stacked boxes and became easier to gameplan against as time went on.

No one is scared of Peterman or our WR's. Dont count on this. 

Edited by ngbills

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

We have a bonafide backfield again and I expect us to pound the **** out of the rock...

Last year, Shady, Tolbert, Taiwan Jones , mid season cadet. Terrible for Buffalo standards 

This season,,,

Shady, ivory, Murphy 

and Murphy might push ivory for the #2 if he keeps playing like he does...

Last year was pretty bumming watching our usually prolific rushing attack suffer with Tolbert 

i think Shady, Ivory, Murphy are gonna slice , dice and plow their way through defenses this season .

1 more week!

Good call.

We had a few nice years of backup RB play. Then Tolbert came in and screwed everything up. 

6 hours ago, richardb1952 said:

I would expect to see a lot of pre-snap motion, play action, TEs, and RBs chipping, and anything else to slow the DL.  

Offense looked pretty creative in the first preseason game, then back to vanilla.  

I would guess Dabol will be creative in his approach this season.  My concern, other than the current state of the offensive line, is that Peterman and Allen have completely different skill sets and would require a diferent offensive game plan.  But, then again, Dabol did it in Alabama championship game, so there is that.

Interestingly, this whole season might come down to how effective Dabol can be with this offense.   

excellent points. i am hoping that the reason that Daboll was hired was because of his ability to scheme, adjust, an make the most of his players' strengths/exploit the opposition's weaknesses. i would love to see this offense get a bit creative!