Saints trade 3rd round pick for Teddy Bridgewater

YoloinOhio

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That defense gives up a lot of yards, 10th in points.  4 more TO's forced than the year before, 3 more than the year before that.

I'm sure they are intrigued with TB as a backup.  I can't imagine they really believe that they would win as many games with Brees out.  Yes the days of 5000 yards may be gone (let's see them do it for 2 seasons in a row for the first time in the Brees era), but that team won't win like this with a 3000 yard QB who hasn't played in a long time (relative to his lightweight career to this point).

They added Robinson, Coleman, Davis and Davenport to the defense. Additionally, Okafor is back from injury and was off to a great start last year. Their defense is a lot better than a year ago (at least they expect it to be). Adding Davenport and a healthy Okafor could be 15 more sacks. The increased pressure will lead to increased turnovers. This holds especially true with the leap that Marcus Williams appears to have taken going into year 2. He’s been the star of the offseason.

Again, I don’t think that they can win as a 3,000 yard passing team but Sean Payton will never allow that anyways. They will run a controlled passing game and run the ball if Brees is out. If Brees misses 8 games (as an example) it is still entirely possible that they win 5 or 6 of those games. That NEVER would have been the case previously (and it wouldn’t have with Hill). This move is the type of insurance that you need when your window is open. They only stay open for a few years (unless you are the Pats). The Saints had to protect this opportunity.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They added Robinson, Coleman, Davis and Davenport to the defense. Additionally, Oakafor is back from injury and was off to a great start last year. Their defense is a lot better than a year ago (at least they expect it to be). Adding Davenport and a healthy Okafor could be 15 more sacks. The increased pressure will lead to increased turnovers. This holds especially true with the leap that Marcus Williams appears to have taken going into year 2. He’s been the star of the offseason.

Again, I don’t think that they can win as a 3,000 yard passing team but Sean Payton will never allow that anyways. They will run a controlled passing game and run the ball if Brees is out. If Brees misses 8 games (as an example) it is still entirely possible that they win 5 or 6 of those games. That NEVER would have been the case previously (and it wouldn’t have with Hill). This move is the type of insurance that you need when your window is open. They only stay open for a few years (unless you are the Pats). The Saints had to protect this opportunity.

I agree the Saints wanted to upgrade a backup (they haven't really ever put much effort into that because Brees takes every snap).  And the defense might get e bit better this year as well.  But Payton, since he's been there, hasn't run a controlled passing game (last year sort of, but still a top 5 passing game) offense.  Also, not sure how he would "not allow" TB to throw what he typically does (3000/year).  It's not like the Vikings were holding him back.

Also, it's more likely TB would go down with injury than Brees.

17 hours ago, aristocrat said:

What has teddy done to earn a trade? Does anyone remember him playing? It’s like the injury made people forget he wasn’t that good. Good backup but not a starter 

Do you not remember how quickly he was progressing and "getting" it? As I remember it, with a couple years of experience under his belt, he was beginning to develop quickly and all indications were pointing to him being a very good QB. He threw for 3200 yards and slightly over a 65% completion percentage in his second year,  and was showing even more promise in 2016 camp and preseason prior to the injury.

At the time,  I didn't think there was any way Minnesota wouldn't stick with him through the entire recovery. He very much looked like their QB of the future. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I agree the Saints wanted to upgrade a backup (they haven't really ever put much effort into that because Brees takes every snap).  And the defense might get e bit better this year as well.  But Payton, since he's been there, hasn't run a controlled passing game (last year sort of, but still a top 5 passing game) offense.  Also, not sure how he would "not allow" TB to throw what he typically does (3000/year).  It's not like the Vikings were holding him back.

Also, it's more likely TB would go down with injury than Brees.

Payton will run a balanced attack. Bridgewater won’t be handing it to Adrian Peterson 327 times. Teddy had that team at 11-5 when he was just 23. I know the injury was devastating but he appears to be healthy and has looked good. If he can average the same 200 yards a game that he did then and the Saints can run for another 180 they will be fine. Teddy won’t make mistakes and is accurate. That’s enough to keep them afloat.

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Payton will run a balanced attack. Bridgewater won’t be handing it to Adrian Peterson 327 times. Teddy had that team at 11-5 when he was just 23. I know the injury was devastating but he appears to be healthy and has looked good. If he can average the same 200 yards a game that he did then and the Saints can run for another 180 they will be fine. Teddy won’t make mistakes and is accurate. That’s enough to keep them afloat.

I've said this before and I'll say it again regarding the type of injury he had:

It's not about how good he looks now, it's about huge of a reinjury risk he is after what he had.

I wouldn't trust his knee as far as I could throw Rob Ryan.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that's wishful thinking, but we shall see.

I bet the Saints draft Brees's replacement within the next 2 drafts.  While Payton may hope he can run his backs for 180 yards for a second season in a row, if he can't, he knows Brees can make it not matter.  TB can't.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again regarding the type of injury he had:

It's not about how good he looks now, it's about huge of a reinjury risk he is after what he had.

His game wasn’t reallt based on running away.  But even pre injury, he is a guy who had 2 seasons of 14 tds.  I admire his rehab and by all accounts, he seems like a great dude.  But he does not seem like anything special as a qb.  Great deal for the Jets, sadly.

Just now, Strethor said:

Really happy for Teddy - very young guy I wanted to be our bridge QB 

Now he gets in a good position to take over after Brees 

and the Jets are all in on a rookie QB 

joy

He's a backup 

They aren't betting the future on him

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I bet the Saints draft Brees's replacement within the next 2 drafts.  While Payton may hope he can run his backs for 180 yards for a second season in a row, if he can't, he knows Brees can make it not matter.  TB can't.

This.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

His game wasn’t reallt based on running away.  But even pre injury, he is a guy who had 2 seasons of 14 tds.  I admire his rehab and by all accounts, he seems like a great dude.  But he does not seem like anything special as a qb.  Great deal for the Jets, sadly.

Where did I say it was based on running?

I said nothing about his game being based on running.

I said his knee is a significant risk no matter how good he looks at the moment.

39 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Maybe not, but he isn’t being asked to play all of the time. He’s being asked to play IF Brees is hurt. It is possible that both get hurt but again, he is there to buy time until Brees returns. 

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I mean, it’s not wishful thinking from me. I really don’t like the Saints and am dreading them being good. It’s obnoxious here when that’s the case. As an example, my entire office (except me) is in Saints gear today because of a preseason game. 

At the same time I do follow them pretty closely being here. That team should be loaded. They are a better team than a year ago when they won 11 games. They’ve improved their secondary, pass rush, pass catchers and depth. IMO, this is a much better roster than the roster that Teddy had at 11-5. There is no reason to think he can’t keep this team going if Brees goes down. This isn’t your older brother’s Saints. They are absolutely Super Bowl contenders. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe not, but he isn’t being asked to play all of the time. He’s being asked to play IF Brees is hurt. It is possible that both get hurt but again, he is there to buy time until Brees returns. 

I mean, it’s not wishful thinking from me. I really don’t like the Saints and am dreading them being good. It’s obnoxious here when that’s the case. As an example, my entire office (except me) is in Saints gear today because of a preseason game. 

At the same time I do follow them pretty closely being here. That team should be loaded. They are a better team than a year ago when they won 11 games. They’ve improved their secondary, pass rush, pass catchers and depth. IMO, this is a much better roster than the roster that Teddy had at 11-5. There is no reason to think he can’t keep this team going if Brees goes down. This isn’t your older brother’s Saints. They are absolutely Super Bowl contenders. 

I don't think it's a bad thing to have him as a backup, agreed.

I do think that as a long term solution you're playing with fire.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Again, I'll say we'll see, but I'm betting everyone in those Saints jerseys are hoping they never do.  If the Saints wanted a guy who's coming off a knee injury who had a couple of 3000+ seasons in his first 2 years, they could have gotten RG3 for free.

Teddy's legend approaches that of Kiko......

I think this is one of those trades where both teams are making out well.

Jets "bought" a 3rd round pick for a signing bonus.  Saints did not have to take a FA flyer on TB - they let the Jets prove he was healthy enough to be their backup.

I'm mostly sad that it involved the Jets getting a bit better with a 3rd round pick, but glad for TB he'll have a good situation, and probably be in line to succeed Brees.

I'm also glad that the Jets got rid of TB - that weakens their QB room instantly.