Farmers Almanac: Winter is coming

/dev/null

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

I appreciate all my creature comforts I don't need a week without power to rediscover my love for air conditioning.   We were without power for  8 days last year after the hurricane came through.    There was nothing fun about it.  Elderly people were dying in nursing homes due to heat exhaustion, and lack of care.   The threat of   looting keeps you up at night along with the heat.    

We had cell signal, still had to go to work, had coffee and had to find gasoline on my lunch breaks for the car and for that stupid generator.    

Well you might have an appreciation, but IMO you are the minority.  It's good for snowflakes to get some perspective.  It sucks for the sick and elderly.  But for the rest of us, man up.  Prepare for it.  Make the most it.  Camp.  Play cards. Tell ghost stories.  Have a bonfire.  Share what you have with your neighbors.  Bang your girl.  Fire up the grill.  Enjoy that beautiful night sky when storm clears out.  As far as looters- Molon Labe

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Well you might have an appreciation, but IMO you are the minority.  It's good for snowflakes to get some perspective.  It sucks for the sick and elderly.  But for the rest of us, man up.  Prepare for it.  Make the most it.  Camp.  Play cards. Tell ghost stories.  Have a bonfire.  Share what you have with your neighbors.  Bang your girl.  Fire up the grill.  Enjoy that beautiful night sky when storm clears out.  As far as looters- Molon Labe

It was 90+ degrees in the house.   If we get one this year i'm leaving the state lol.   

The plan was to get a small suitcase generator, and a window unit.   And I'll do that eventually.     

i did get outside this year and trim the tree branches I thought could be an issue if we got another.   I've been through 6 hurricanes I think in this house.   We got the 3 in 2004, one in 2005, the one last year and I'm sure we had one between 2008-2014 I just cannot remember.   Oh hell, Alberto was literally Memorial day this year.    forgot about that.   

Anyway I hope you guys up in the northeast have a nice mild winter.   And I hope the hunting is good.  

2 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

It was 90+ degrees in the house.   If we get one this year i'm leaving the state lol.   

The plan was to get a small suitcase generator, and a window unit.   And I'll do that eventually.     

i did get outside this year and trim the tree branches I thought could be an issue if we got another.   I've been through 6 hurricanes I think in this house.   We got the 3 in 2004, one in 2005, the one last year and I'm sure we had one between 2008-2014 I just cannot remember.   Oh hell, Alberto was literally Memorial day this year.    forgot about that.   

Anyway I hope you guys up in the northeast have a nice mild winter.   And I hope the hunting is good.  

a hurricane in the islands or florida is a whole different ball game then what we get in the northeast.  They are devastating.  But not on a Florida scale. We get Cat 1 and 2, not 4 and 5s

Edited by Pete

55 minutes ago, Pete said:

a hurricane in the islands or florida is a whole different ball game then what we get in the northeast.  They are devastating.  But not on a Florida scale. We get Cat 1 and 2, not 4 and 5s

Look up the great hurricane of 1938. Cat 3 with wind gusts as high as 183 mph. It’s definitely possible. 

Edited by Awwufelloff

On 8/28/2018 at 11:10 AM, joesixpack said:

I hate that summer is ending. Nothing better than being able to run around in a tee shirt and shorts.

Nothing stopping you from doing that in the winter.

kitty.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I just read one particular to Atlanta and it said the southeast will be dry and warm this winter.

Please let this be true! I was a mere child when I told my mother that 40’s and raining is the worst possible weather. I’d rather have 5 and snow. 

2 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

Look up the great hurricane of 1938. Cat 3 with wind gusts as high as 183 mph. It’s definitely possible. 

That doesn’t sound like a Cat 3???

We spent 30 years in the coastal SE area and never got hit badly. Losing power for a couple days was about it, and we could hear, but not see boats. (It costs an extra million or two to SEE the boats.) The worst I ever got hit was when Hugo completely missed Hilton Head, but went thru Charleston then clobbered us south of Charlotte. My in laws went about 8 weeks without power or water. 

5 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

I have heard the stories first hand from survivors.  Hurricane forecasting is much better now.  That one got us by surprise.  And yes I know all Hurricanes are dangerous.  Even a Cat 1.  But I still quite enjoy them.

On 8/28/2018 at 11:36 AM, Greybeard said:

I have 10 oaks in the front of my house.  You can imagine the mess.  Yes they are falling like rain.  I have been raking them up but 4 days later the ground is covered again.  And a bucket of those things is heavy.  Afraid to fill up a plasic trashcan more than half way.  Also they appear to be bigger this year.

I am in CNY and it has been kind of dry for most of the summer.  But it has been very hot. "Only in the hottest years this happens. And this year, it grows hot." 

I have some big daddy trees in the backyard...even though I have a heater,I am having the pool winterized next weekend.

On 8/28/2018 at 10:36 AM, Greybeard said:

I have 10 oaks in the front of my house.  You can imagine the mess.  Yes they are falling like rain.  I have been raking them up but 4 days later the ground is covered again.  And a bucket of those things is heavy.  Afraid to fill up a plasic trashcan more than half way.  Also they appear to be bigger this year.

I am in CNY and it has been kind of dry for most of the summer.  But it has been very hot. "Only in the hottest years this happens. And this year, it grows hot." 

I think oaks are unique.  Some deciduous, some evergreen.  Leaves can drop all year and drop is determined by environmental factors, canopy overcrowding, etc... 

Probably the dry hot summer.