Farmers Almanac: Winter is coming

/dev/null

Beat me to it.

Not getting much to go off of here yet.  It's been wet now and water is standing everywhere.  That's not normal for August. Fog isn't that prevalent. If it's foggy next month I'll take note.   Iron wood is nothing remarkable. Haven't seen many wooly worms.  It's looking mild in the Carolinas. 

I was going to post something the other day. My 3 oaks in the backyard are producing way more acorns than I have ever seen on any of the  trees. So much so that the green ones are already falling like crazy. Granted, we have had an exceptionally hot, wet summer, so understand that is why they dropping early...but the trees are still loaded up with way more than normal. 

Folk tales tell me that means exceptionally cold and snowy this year...which would make me SOOO happy!!!

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I was going to post something the other day. My 3 oaks in the backyard are producing way more acorns than I have ever seen on any of the  trees. So much so that the green ones are already falling like crazy. Granted, we have had an exceptionally hot, wet summer, so understand that is why they dropping early...but the trees are still loaded up with way more than normal. 

Folk tales tell me that means exceptionally cold and snowy this year...which would make me SOOO happy!!!

Blah.

I hate that summer is ending. Nothing better than being able to run around in a tee shirt and shorts.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Blah.

I hate that summer is ending. Nothing better than being able to run around in a tee shirt and shorts.

I hate that summer even occurs...... I gain too much weight cause I am inside all the freaking time!!!

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

I hate that summer even occurs...... I gain too much weight cause I am inside all the freaking time!!!

:lol: see, I'm the opposite. I don't go outside in winter. I hate the constant rain, snow and gray skies.

I lose a TON of weight in summer getting out and working around the house, and gain it all back when the weather goes to ****.

You live in VA, though, so your winters aren't that bad.

Just now, COTC said:

I do not miss the upstate winters at all, they were brutal!!

I'm in Jersey now. Here we have like an 7 month gray season from October-April. It's miserable pretty much for that whole stretch.

For me at least. The summers here are hot, but I enjoy them.

18 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have 10 oaks in the front of my house.  You can imagine the mess.  Yes they are falling like rain.  I have been raking them up but 4 days later the ground is covered again.  And a bucket of those things is heavy.  Afraid to fill up a plasic trashcan more than half way.  Also they appear to be bigger this year.

I am in CNY and it has been kind of dry for most of the summer.  But it has been very hot. "Only in the hottest years this happens. And this year, it grows hot." 

• Like (+1) 1

What a joke. I just read thy whole thing and it sounds like every single winter. “Teeth chattering cold will begin mid February”, yeah, no chit Sherlock. The winter will go into the spring.... commenting that there will be a large storm that comes through March 20-23.... first of all, the weather channel cannot predict the weather conditions 5 hours before it’s going to happen, jus like the Bills game the other day when they said it was going to rain. And then it turned out to be sunny and 80s throughout the game. Making it unbearable. Second, what a shocker, predicting a storm in late March when everyone is sick of winter and wonder when it’s finally going to be over. 

This is whole article was such a shocker. I better prepare. Now. 

19 minutes ago, mrags said:

What a joke. I just read thy whole thing and it sounds like every single winter. “Teeth chattering cold will begin mid February”, yeah, no chit Sherlock. The winter will go into the spring.... commenting that there will be a large storm that comes through March 20-23.... first of all, the weather channel cannot predict the weather conditions 5 hours before it’s going to happen, jus like the Bills game the other day when they said it was going to rain. And then it turned out to be sunny and 80s throughout the game. Making it unbearable. Second, what a shocker, predicting a storm in late March when everyone is sick of winter and wonder when it’s finally going to be over. 

This is whole article was such a shocker. I better prepare. Now. 

In November of '14 we had a storm roll in,expected to dump about a foot.Here in southeast Cheektowaga we ended up with about 7 feet.Nobody can predict LE snowfalls.The October Surprise was another storm that was never predicted.

Edited by Misterbluesky

5 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

In November of '14 we had a storm roll in,expected to dump about a foot.Here in southeast Cheektowaga we ended up with about 7 feet.Nobody can predict LE snowfalls.

I don't believe they can predict anything much beyond sunrise and sunset times.   The older I get the less I trust the forecast no matter what it says.  

16 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

In November of '14 we had a storm roll in,expected to dump about a foot.Here in southeast Cheektowaga we ended up with about 7 feet.Nobody can predict LE snowfalls.The October Surprise was another storm that was never predicted.

Yeah. I remember the October storm wel. Left work at like 5pm. Went home. Showed signs of ****ty weather. Next thing I know we don’t have power for 12 days. 

821FB6FC-9ADF-4B6C-A31C-48799206C72E.thumb.jpeg.56f7309ecf14c705e142f96640bd5da6.jpeg

So this in every December game? 

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

:lol: see, I'm the opposite. I don't go outside in winter. I hate the constant rain, snow and gray skies.

I lose a TON of weight in summer getting out and working around the house, and gain it all back when the weather goes to ****.

You live in VA, though, so your winters aren't that bad.

Not that bad.   We just deal with idiots that don't know how to drive in a dusting of snow.  

Sure summer is HOT here, and thats how I sweat off the winter pounds.  

You could live in places like Montana and Utah where the snows start by the end of September and don't stop until May.  

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

With all due respect...you're NUTS! 

Just kidding.  But I don't know how anyone could prefer winter to summer.  

It's like comparing life to death.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Any leaf change yet?