Vontae Davis is a problem....

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I may be proven wrong, but how a veteran cornerback looks in preseason is not something I'm all that worried about.  There is really no telling how much a guy like Davis is trying in these glorified scrimmages.

I think this is the reality.

Sure he might not have the wheels to keep up with Ross. Who does ?

He made some mental errors was my concern.

But Dalton and the Offense were really giving Bills the business !!
Their Defense as well.

I hope that was a game more about taking a look some situations more than trying to dominate any one.

Because there is plenty of bad tape to review this week with nearly everyone.

#@%$

Edited by 3rdand12

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I think this is the reality.

Sure he might not have the wheels to keep up with Ross. Who does ?

He made some mental errors was my concern.

But Dalton and the Offense were really giving Bills the business !!
Their Defense as well.

I hope that was a game more about taking a look some situations more than trying to dominate any one.

Because there is plenty of bad tape to review this week with nearly everyone.

#@%$

Really?  He might be sitting down if he doesn't improve.

:unsure:

Bills Today: Right CB Battle Continues

1 – Right CB battle continues

As the fourth and final preseason game of the 2018 season approaches, the Bills have yet to name a starting quarterback, but the battle at the right cornerback position may be just as intriguing. In Sunday’s game with Cincinnati, Phillip Gaines was rotated in with the first team defense with veteran cornerback Vontae Davis, and Bills head coach Sean McDermott emphasized that the battle at that position will continue for at least a few more days.

“I think the good part is that Phillip Gaines and Vontae [Davis] both did some good things in the game,” said McDermott. “There are some areas where they can both improve just like the rest of our football team.”

McDermott believes that the competition is good for the overall growth of the team but notes that a competition this late in the preseason is not always beneficial.
“There is some good to that [competition], that they are pushing each other; and there are some other areas where we say ‘Hey, we have got to play better at that position for us to be a good defense,’” he said.

18 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I remember Davis looking bad during Miami's season of Hard Knocks and that was YEARS ago. He's old and slow and broken and done.

We will once again use our 1st round pick on CB next year.

That wouldn’t be needed if we didn’t trade Darby. It’s a hole because the FO made it a hole. That’s the most frustrating part about all of this. I don’t get the blinders by some fans, saying “we don’t have any talent on the roster.” Or “you can’t fix everything at once” 

It’s all true, but it’s also largely self created. 

Edited by Mango

2 hours ago, Mango said:

That wouldn’t be needed if we didn’t trade Darby. It’s a hole because the FO made it a hole. That’s the most frustrating part about all of this. I don’t get the blinders by some fans, saying “we don’t have any talent on the roster.” Or “you can’t fix everything at once” 

Don't forget WR.  They traded Watkins and Darby for picks and replacements on one-year deals, neither of whom are still with the team - and they didn't really fill those holes.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mango said:

45 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Don't forget WR.  They traded Watkins and Darby for picks and replacements on one-year deals, neither of whom are still with the team - and they didn't really fill those holes.

All the moves to trade away talent for picks in 2017 were in effort to stock the cupboard in order to ensure absolutely that we could trade up and get a QB in the 2018 draft. And frankly, I cant disagree with them since if there is one thing we know, it's easier to find a CB than franchise QB. So for that, I cant blame the FO too badly. But yes, it is a hole they created.

IMO, with the drought monkey off our backs, Im fine taking a year now to reset and rebuild. But dang, Davis's play has really dropped off.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

All the moves to trade away talent for picks in 2017 were in effort to stock the cupboard in order to ensure absolutely that we could trade up and get a QB in the 2018 draft. And frankly, I cant disagree with them since if there is one thing we know, it's easier to find a CB than franchise QB. So for that, I cant blame the FO too badly. But yes, it is a hole they created.

IMO, with the drought monkey off our backs, Im fine taking a year now to reset and rebuild. But dang, Davis's play has really dropped off.

I understand that - but a better backup/replacement plan would've been prudent...

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/27/2018 at 3:19 PM, SoCal Deek said:

I may be proven wrong, but how a veteran cornerback looks in preseason is not something I'm all that worried about.  There is really no telling how much a guy like Davis is trying in these glorified scrimmages.

McD is a stickler for effort. He expects it all the time. At practice, on the field. If it's a lack of effort, he would have been cut. He's just slow and acclimating to this defense. I hope the Pats CB we picked up is better.