Advice Needed re: Managerial Dilemma at Work

Fadingpain

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I ate some undercooked chicken as part of a sandwich I got at a Ruby Tuesday's before going to an Alanis Morissette concert (Tori Amos opened).  I was fine throughout the concert, but when I got home, I puked my brains out.  

So that's where they went...

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Words of advice:

1.  Don’t go to Red Lobster

2.  If you go to Red Lobster, don’t order the linguini with shrimp

3.  If you get the linguini with shrimp, don’t take leftovers home

4.  If you take leftover linguini with shrimp home, DON’T eat it the next day

This sounds like advice from a man who is used to being ignored.

Edited by Augie

51 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Tori has not aged well

7EB57651-6920-416D-A846-AE63FB3FB185.jpeg

Not relevant.  It was 1999 when I saw her (8/29 - almost 19 years to the day).  They were both hot.  Believe me.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/16/2018 at 8:34 PM, Fadingpain said:

So a buddy of mine called me today all stressed out.  He works in finance at a large, multi-national corporation.  He's always talking about numbers, budgets, fiscal forecasting, etc.  All the fun stuff. LOL.  

Today he had to give a presentation over the phone to like 30 people in several countries.  When he finished, he asked his underling (we'll call her Linda) to start her part of the presentation.  No answer.  My buddy thought she was over on her side of the building in her office quietly waiting for her turn to speak.  I guess this was a fairly important matter and she certainly knew she had to participate today.

So someone gets up and physically goes to Linda's office only to find it dark and unattended.

Turns out Linda had some type of food poisoning incident at work earlier in the morning and went home feeling ill.  The only thing she did to notify anyone of this was send an instant message in MS Office to my buddy, once the meeting had already started, which of course he never saw b/c the computer knew he was in a meeting and so it blocked the IM part of the program.  She didn't tell anyone else or send an email. 

So now he needs to yell at Linda, basically, but he is unsure how to proceed.  Keep in mind Linda is a good worker, was hired by my buddy, and overall I think my buddy has a good relationship with her which he doesn't want to ruin.

Yet Linda's actions today were unprofessional, out of line, and ended up embarrassing my buddy in front of all these people in fairly high up positions particularly at world corporate HQ in a foreign country.  He's afraid they are all going to be like "who is this loser you hired!?"

Anyone here have managerial experience?  How do you handle the little chat my buddy has to have tomorrow with Linda?  

Hey, how’d it ever work out?