Nick O'Leary Possibly on the Bubble with Jason Croom Emerging - Jack's Grandson Released

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm getting the feeling the TEs are going to very important in Daboll's offense this year.

Let's get the best out there whoever they are.

Nick OLeary is the best! I'll freking lose it if he gets cut. He was our 4th most productive pass catcher and only behind friggin Deonte Thompson in when comparing him to WRs. Our guys were crap last year, got worse, and we're just going to let him go? Big issue for me. Bigger than aging Fredex, Ragland, Lawson if he gets cut.. Allen not starting.

I don't know why I guess I irrationately think he's a baller pass catching TE. And if Daboll doesn't have a fit for that, then wake the heck up FO because pass catching TEs are a pretty good weapon if you're paying attention to the league.

1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

He couldn't catch a pass on 3rd and 5 to save his life.

Nice guy though ;)

OLeary over Scott all day. Way better IMO

3 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Nick OLeary is the best! I'll freking lose it if he gets cut. He was our 4th most productive pass catcher and only behind friggin Deonte Thompson in when comparing him to WRs. Our guys were crap last year, got worse, and we're just going to let him go? Big issue for me. Bigger than aging Fredex, Ragland, Lawson if he gets cut.. Allen not starting.

I don't know why I guess I irrationately think he's a baller pass catching TE. And if Daboll doesn't have a fit for that, then wake the heck up FO because pass catching TEs are a pretty good weapon if you're paying attention to the league.

For me if I was coach and they were the same age it would be a coin flip.....literally ;) 

14 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I’m more interested in his observations regarding Milano. A second year player shouldn’t need a wake up call.

I think Milano is just a lesser physical talent, high motor undersized type backer. Very smart player but the tools are limited. Needs good players around him to be good or needs to be limited to a nickel zone cover man sort of role.

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

I predict Bills keep Clay, Thomas, Croom and Lee.  I can see them running two tight end sets and creating mismatch problems with Clay and Croom.  Thomas and Lee will be blocking TE's

I'm not so sure Logan Thomas will be a blocking TE, or even a TE for the Bills this year.  He was a QB at VaTech and wisely choose to convert to a TE in order to have any shot of an NFL career.  With Daboll's offense factoring in the TE more so than in the past, Thomas looks to have a challenge when competing with guys who have been a TE for a while.  It could be possible that McD and Daboll end the project.

5 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

Logan Thomas made several nice blocks in the run game last week.  He is improving.   With Croom coming on, yes O’ Leary is on the fence

I agree. It's nothing against O'Leary, I just think he was a limited ceiling player right out of FSU. He has likely reached that ceiling already. 

Knee woes aside, Big Play Charles Clay is one of the more well rounded TE in the game these days. They very likely are enamored with the athleticism and potential that Thomas and Croom bring to the table. Thomas is raw with blocking and route running as a converted QB, but has the size to become a better blocker if he is willing AND as a former QB should have a good big picture understanding of play design, etc. As a converted WR, Croom brings better route running and pure athleticism with the potential to be a nightmare mismatch against LBs or smaller DBs and will need to develop as a blocker over time. 

Wide-open battle to determine backup roles for Bills at tight end

Outside of starter Charles Clay, there is no one on the Bills’ depth chart at tight end who has cobbled together any sort of NFL résumé, but perhaps that’s about to change this season.

Nick O’Leary, Logan Thomas, Khari Lee, Jason Croom, and Keith Towbridge are in the mix for what will probably be two backup spots on the 53-man roster, perhaps three based on how much each candidate contributes to special teams.

Those five players have a combined 40 career NFL receptions for 547 yards and three touchdowns, and for clarity, O’Leary is responsible for 32 catches for 473 yards and two scores. So, do the math. The other four have eight catches for 74 yards and a TD.

Flimsy résumés aside, tight end has been one of the most interesting positions to watch in training camp because Thomas, Croom and Lee, in particular, have all made noticeable strides, while O’Leary, a serviceable backup to Clay the last three years who’s not really all that impressive as a receiver or blocker, appears to have taken up residence on the bubble.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Andre Holmes is listed as a starter at WR.  How much does that mean today?   Very little IMO. 

Do you think ZJ starts the season on PUP non football injury?

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I like Nick myself.  He is pretty good catching the ball but my post was more aimed on how Daboll seems to wants well rounded TE.

There was a good Carolina game breakdown (can't remember which) about how the TEs need to run block, chip block and catch balls.

Friday could be interesting.

Daboll is an ex TE coach and I would think he knows what he wants.

That being said, I hope Nick "brings it" the next few games.

• Like (+1) 1