Marcus Murphy- #2 rb?

NewEra

7 minutes ago, LLCoolCy said:

Murphy's skillset is closer to McCoy's (shifty, stop accelerate, pass catching) thus incase of injury I could easily see the coaches giving him the start. I think Ivory's roll as short yardage, step in for a series change of pace, and pounder to finish games is established and hasn't changed. I would guess it'l bee the McCoy/Ivory show unless either gets dinged and Murphy assuming that role. 

I agree which is good options we have as compared to say.....tolbert......I think we are going to be running a whole lot on offence this season...

33 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The reason you play Allen is because we want to run. Gonna be tough with 8-9 in the box. 

yes it is.......it kinda sucks because coming out of pre season there are alot of question marks.....most is the garbage oline....they did good in the 1st preseason game and went complete opposite after wards......dont know if im confident in peterman just yet....need to see more of course....obviously i still about his production to date which is god awful......as a bills fan i am hoping for alot of good surprises

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I imagine it's one of those things where they have a specific role in mind for Ivory who is old but still runs hard. He will be in on short yardage and maybe goalline and certain packages or a series here and there. But if McCoy were to go down, Murphy would be the one to come in and get the bulk of the carries as the new RB1. They don't want Ivory carrying 15-20 times a game. 

Its possible that Murphy just beat him out but Ivory looked good too. 

I totally agree that they think of Murphy as the #2 now...........but they signed Ivory to be the #2 RB.

$3M per year isn't short yardage money at the RB position.

I will say he is the only FA that Beane signed that wasn't either awful or invisible this preseason.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I totally agree that they think of Murphy as the #2 now...........but they signed Ivory to be the #2 RB.

$3M per year isn't short yardage money at the RB position.

I will say he is the only FA that Beane signed that wasn't either awful or invisible this preseason.

You say that like it was a mistake to sign Ivory to that contract. Ivory has looked good, too. It wasnt that he played bad it is that Murphy overachieved and looked very good. That could be looked at as the GM getting two good guys for $4m rather than too much to pay, $3m, for a short yardage guy.

49 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The reason you play Allen is because we want to run. Gonna be tough with 8-9 in the box. 

I agree totally....... but I am actually glad they are starting Peterman on the road in Baltimore so we can get a look at how they plan to protect the QB.

I'm pretty sure Allen got some degree of concussion in the last game and they need some answers before they march him out there and ruin him.

It's going to take a holistic approach.........an aggressive run game design combined with a defense that makes the opponent go 10-12 plays to get scores..........basically Jauron Ball again unfortunately.......but I am hoping Daboll surprises us.

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You say that like it was a mistake to sign Ivory to that contract. Ivory has looked good, too. It wasnt that he played bad it is that Murphy overachieved and looked very good. That could be looked at as the GM getting two good guys for $4m rather than too much to pay, $3m, for a short yardage guy.

I like Ivory.......coming off consecutive years of declining production he's not really the guy I want behind McCoy though so it's good that Murphy is working out.

But I like your line of reasoning..........if you average KB's new contract out at $16M per year and then add Jeremy Kerley contract and divide by two it would make the starting WR contracts look more palatable.  Get'er done Beane.:thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

Chris Ivory is not Reggie Bush, and he also doesn't need the reps that Murphy needs, imo. I think all three RBs are going to see the field this season, and which one is considered #2 may even change week to week. They both offer a lot. I've become an Ivory fan, frankly. Can't wait to see what he does. 

Edited by Rocky Landing

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Chris Ivory is not Reggie Bush, and he also doesn't need the reps that Murphy needs, imo. I think all three RBs are going to see the field this season, and which one is considered #2 may even change week to week. They both offer a lot. I've become an Ivory fan, frankly. Can't wait to see what he does. 

Ivory runs as hard as any back in the league. He's great to watch and root for. That combo of three guys is nice. Throw Ray Ray Ray in the mix as a gadget guy and we can have some fun with that position. I'm on a crusade, admittedly, but it's the reason not to play Peterman unless he proves he can beat teams over the top. It's possible he can but yet to happen. 

26 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

As you seem to be suggesting the less touches Ivory gets the more effective he is. At this stage of his career he is no longer a workhorse back. But he is still a tough runner who when used judiciously will be productive. The combo of Murphy/Ivory who are tough and decisive inside runners should be effective even with our problematic line that is better as run blockers than pass blockers. I see McCoy being used on a lot of swing and passing situations. He is going to struggle behind this line if he does a lot of dancing, as he has a tendency to do. 

• Like (+1) 2

If Shady hits a wall in any way & shows a lack of production & this guy continues to put up numbers like he did in the preseason it wouldn't surprise me that he could become the #1 RB on the team !

This guy put up something like 6 YPC that would be production that couldn't be ignored if he does that & Shady is only putting out 3 or 4 not to mention i wouldn't put it past Bean to use Shady as a trading chip for a team that could use him if a RB went down & Murphy was doing that good .

I hope Shady continues to be his old self but McBean & company are looking to the future & if this guy proves to be all that & a bag of chips #2 is definitely possible & #1 wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility either ...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, T master said:

If Shady hits a wall in any way & shows a lack of production & this guy continues to put up numbers like he did in the preseason it wouldn't surprise me that he could become the #1 RB on the team !

This guy put up something like 6 YPC that would be production that couldn't be ignored if he does that & Shady is only putting out 3 or 4 not to mention i wouldn't put it past Bean to use Shady as a trading chip for a team that could use him if a RB went down & Murphy was doing that good .

I hope Shady continues to be his old self but McBean & company are looking to the future & if this guy proves to be all that & a bag of chips #2 is definitely possible & #1 wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility either ...

Agreed.  I drafted him in the last round of my keeper league with the thought that we move on from shady after this season and Murphy takes the reigns.  He’s been impressive 

31 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This looks like his 4th season. His knock seems to be size

Right. But he will be 27 a month into this season. I really like him though. And if he didn't get the wear and tear on him because he hasn't really played, no reason to think he can't play til 30. 

10 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's curious how a guy like Murphy who looks so good and has been around for 5-6 years never really played. 

He was an afterthought pick in the draft because his measurables for an NFL RB are bad......5'8"......4.6 40......29" vert...........that translates to small, slow and unexplosive.

But in preseason games he's looked like a good inside runner......fast in the open field........and quick to the hole with good COD.........basically all the things that his measurables say that he's not.

I also think being a 4th year guy who has had the benefit of time to learn how to play the position at the NFL level without taking the hits gives him a chance to be more than just a one-and-done contributor with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1