Harry Jacobs miked up 1964

Lots of players in the 60’s worked two jobs. Today’s rookies contracts are more then many of these guys saw in a career.  That’s why it pains me to see the league pension fund and the owners leaving the pioneers of the game with little to no healthcare.  There is money to help these guys.  

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Good stuff, but no way it's 1964 with him facing the Dolphins who came into the AFL in '66.

Correct.  Has to be 1968 and the unraveling is in full force.  Tom Sestak’s (70) last season and John Pitts (48) first. 

Looks like we are getting blown away too.  No way would that happen in 64 or 65.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Correct.  Has to be 1968 and the unraveling is in full force.  Tom Sestak’s (70) last season and John Pitts (48) first. 

Looks like we are getting blown away too.  No way would that happen in 64 or 65.  

Definitely '67 or '68 with Pitts' rookie season in 1967. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

17 hours ago, sherpa said:

Stratton, Tracy and Jacobs.

Ah.... the days when guys didn't get hurt all the time.

It isn't a very long video, but watch these guys tackle.    I don't see any leading with their head.  I believe this is also pre-headslap for the Defensive lineman.

Jacobs' intelligence was part of what made the D so good back then.

For those of you who might remember that Jacobs' was one of the individuals who were on Point After during the late 60's.   The show was on channel 68? and consisted of Jacobs, Stratton and Paul McGuire, typically around 10PM Sunday night, after the game.  I believe it is where McGuire got his start in broadcasting.   It was a good show but the Bills were terrible, worse than they have been over the last 20 years, maybe the worse of all time.  So there wasn't much positive to talk about.   One of the best lines I remember, I think it was Stratton who said it, was "it used to be 4 yards a carry and a cloud of dust, now it is two yards and a cloud of excuses."

16 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

led the #1 ranked defense in the AFL at the time.  That defense was the reason the Bills won 2 championships in the mid 60's.   Some of the best Bills ever are in that video - Tom Sestak (70), Mike Stratton (58), Booker Edgerson (24), Butch Byrd (42), and Georges Saimes (26) are all on the Wall of Fame.  Jim Dunaway (78) was and excellent young tackle that went to Miami to finish his career.  I see Ron McDole (72) who was a giant DE that had a very  long career, after the Bills foolishly traded him he became a starter for the Redskins famous Over the Hill Gang.  What characters.    Tom "Tippy" Day was the other DE. 

Great post, Bob. Clearly you lived during that time too. They did have a great defense. Some have argued that if the SB existed in '64, '65, that defense would have held

it's own against the Packers.   Can't forget those AFL Bills. They were the pioneers. They were the guys that made the AFL a legit league.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, RevWarRifleman said:

Great post, Bob. Clearly you lived during that time too. They did have a great defense. Some have argued that if the SB existed in '64, '65, that defense would have held

it's own against the Packers.   Can't forget those AFL Bills. They were the pioneers. They were the guys that made the AFL a legit league.

Yup.  That defense gave up only 4 TDs on the ground in 64 and 65.  Sestak was a beast until injuries got him.  

Too bad Saban left.  Lamonica was the perfect QB for the late 60’s and we traded him away for a few washed up players.   We should have kept him and git him a few more weapons.  

11 hours ago, RevWarRifleman said:

I have honestly always believed we would have beaten Paul & Jim Brown’s Browns in ‘64. Packers held him to 50 yrds. We would have as well. 

JMO.

On 8/7/2018 at 9:03 PM, Bob in STL said:

Yup.  That defense gave up only 4 TDs on the ground in 64 and 65.  Sestak was a beast until injuries got him.  

Too bad Saban left.  Lamonica was the perfect QB for the late 60’s and we traded him away for a few washed up players.   We should have kept him and git him a few more weapons.  

Agree Bob. Hindsight being 20/20, trading away Lamonica was the beginning of establishing a tradition in Bills history.  Making bad trades that came back & bit us badly.

Go Bills though.

3 minutes ago, RevWarRifleman said:

Agree Bob. Hindsight being 20/20, trading away Lamonica was the beginning of establishing a tradition in Bills history.  Making bad trades that came back & bit us badly.

Go Bills though.

This is before my time so I never knew why they traded Lamonica.

Why did they trade him?  Was he wanting out of Buffalo or something?

On 8/7/2018 at 9:09 PM, Chandler#81 said:

I have honestly always believed we would have beaten Paul & Jim Brown’s Browns in ‘64. Packers held him to 50 yrds. We would have as well. 

JMO.

The Bills D in 64-65 reminds me of the Steel Curtain era. So many times I remember those Bills that as soon as the ball was snapped, they were already pushing O line

guys back into the backfield and the pocket was collapsing.  They just flat out got after people!

On 8/6/2018 at 2:42 PM, Fadingpain said:

Watch the video and focus on #64's speed, agility, and overall level of athleticism, or lack thereof.

He wouldn't make a training camp roster in the NFL in 2018.

Actually he wouldn't make Div 1 in college.  It want him, it was most of them, they were so small, nonathletic compared to today, off season was spent on other jobs or drinking and fishing.

4 minutes ago, Capco said:

How did they mic him up?  Did he have a transmitting or recording device attached to him somewhere?  

The nerd in me is just wondering what exactly was done to do this with 60's tech.  

Wireless mics weren't that big of a deal by 1967 or 1968.