DR Goes Camping (Practice #6 Report)

After Practice Report - General Thoughts:

The QBs: Allen's talent jumps out at you when you watch the thre QBs side by side. Even in warm up drills, Allen just has more pep in everything he does. I was impressed by his ability to run the huddle (from what I could see of course, obviously not in the huddle). He seemed to get his guys set correctly all but once - and that one mess up lead to a bad sack. Allen had a handful of great throws, including a pretty back shoulder anticipation throw to Ray Ray(?). What made that throw so great (to me) was it came right after Peterman lit it up wih his best throws of the day. It felt like Allen (and the other QBs) really responded to the competition well. The Flea Flicker should have been an easy TD early, Allen threw a beautiful deep ball but it was just off the fingertips of his WR (#19) who maybe could have tracked the ball better.  

AJM was steady. That's the report on him I heard prior to going to camp and he lived up to that billing. He just seems calm out there when the bullets are flying, not that Peterman and Allen seemed uncomfortable, they didn't, but AJM never had happy feet and never seemed to struggle to go through his reads (or what I assume his progressions were from the stands). He had a couple poor throws, but they all made "sense" so to speak. His line did not do him any favors in the later blitz sessions, Vlad was a sieve, but AJM remained steady despite the pressure. 

Peterman was the most inconsistent today. He threw a handful of head scratchers, and two ducks that would have ended poorly  for his WRs in full contact settings, but he also had two really sharp sets in the middle of practice. Based on this one practice (which is an admittedly ridiculous metric), it's between Allen and AJM for the number one gig. 

The Oline: 

I wanted to focus more on the line today but wasn't in the best position in the stands to do so. Dawkins was a stud today when I focused on him, and Miller to my eyes seems like he will take a step forward this year as he was routinely making good plays. BIG concerns about Vlad and the pivot. That's where most of the pressure today came from (and there was a lot). I couldn't see the center rotation in terms of who started, but when I focused on Groy he was the best of the group. I watched Teller closely for a few sessions, he seemed to be holding his own but also got blown up by Star on his one play against him. I feared the line would look worse, actually, so overall I was pleased (especially in the run game) but I hold major concerns about the interior of the line. 

The Front Seven:

Wow. Have to say I REALLY think the defense will be solid. Even more so than most expect if today is any indication. Loved the way the front seven moved and flew to the ball. Despite some early run problems, the front seven dominated most of the day's work. Edmunds had a great pick, and was all over the field. Can't wait to see this guy cut it loose soon. Milano was impressive today as well, he might be ready to take a step this year. Shaq was rotated in with the ones, and he had some good flashes today which surprised me considering how much negative ink he's been getting. He looked like he's hungry to me. Philips was a stud as expected, Kyle was his usual Meatball self, and Star looked better than I figured in the middle. They got pressure whenever they wanted, hopefully that's a sign of things to come. 

The Defensive backfield:

The best group on the team lived up to that hype for me. Got to watch more of them than expected, especially in the individual drill portion. Really love how focused White seems to be. Davis was trailing him, always in his ear which I thought was great (he can learn a lot from the vet). The nickel rotation was impressive too, didn't notice much of a downturn from the first to third group. Should have a good competition there as camp goes on. This unit will carry the D this year. 

The WRs:

This group tried to scare me early with major dropsies and miscommunication during the opening session. Against air they were dropping more balls than should happen at this level. I've long been harsh on KB's stone hands, but they popped up several times today. The guy dominated some plays then looked brutal on others. He needs to be consistent for this group to have any real chance. Kerley was better than I expected, consistent and fluid. Holmes was a non factor for me today, but Foster was drawing my eye whenever he was in a drill. 

Other Thoughts:

I noted above that the pace of the practice was noticeably more professional and crisp than in years past. I loved how the coaches (all of them) handled their business and how the players reacted to their coaching. Daboll's scheme looks like it's going to be a professional offense (finally), can't say enough good things from what I saw in terms of sets, motion, and play design. I'm cautiously optimistic this offensive scheme will keep us in more games than we probably belong in based on the talent level on that side of the ball. I think Ivory will be a big help to the backfield. He was great today and Cadet showed some flashes. 

Going to try to go tomorrow as well if possible. Fingers crossed.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 21

4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Headed to Pittsford this gloomy morning, hoping the rain holds out and I get a chance to catch my first practice of the Allen era. It's been a couple seasons since I was last able to make it up to camp, let alone write something up for the board about it, very excited to check it out. I'll edit this first post as the morning goes on with real time updates from the stands (or as close to real time as my typing fingers can get) and then write up a proper post about the practice when I get home. 

GO BILLS! 

Camp Report:

* Walking over to the field now, good turnout on super hero day. 

* It is warm but I wouldn't say hot. Already got yelled at for sitting in the wrong spot (under a minute in the stands). But I'm posted up now as the players are filing in and warming up. 

* Going to be focused on OL and the front seven (the areas I know best) with attention to the WRs and Allen. 

* Starting with Kick Off teams, while OL works on combo blocks on the far side. 

* First T.E sighting in person. Dude is massive.

* music on, time for team stretch. Love the pace of the players and coaches just in the first few minutes here. Noticble difference from years past. 

* Gave my roster print out to a kid in the stands next to me... So gonna go by numbers for this rt post. I'm not off book with all the new numbers yet. 

* Stretching done. Team huddled then breaks off to positional drills. Defense just left the field. 

* QBs working on handoffs, stretch steps AJM then P, then Allen. Allen is on Dabolls hip when he's not in the drill. 

* With Childish Gambino blasting, Shady just dancing. Still got that burst tho. 

* Logan Thomas in the non contact jersey. 

* T. E is so large I can still see him waaaaay on the other field. 

* QBs working on rollouts. Allen throws a pretty ball rolling either way. Peterman floats his more often than not. 

* QBS now going with WRs vs air. Same rotation. AJM, P, Allen. 

* KB with back to back miscommunications / dropsies vs air. One with AJM. One with P. 

* Jones running pretty well in shorts on the sideline. P broke off to throw with the TEs while the other two keep workin w WRs. #8 (Foster I think?) is FAST. 

* Kickers have the best camp life. 

* All the WRs are dropping balls now. Lots on the ground considering its against air. Holmes catches with his arms and body more than his hands. Kerly is consistently reliable in this drill. As is 8. 

* Defense back. Here comes some team work. 

* 11 on 11 to start. AJM first pass complete. Rush into quick fg try. Hauschka nails it. 

P now, complete to the sideline. Fg try is... Good from 50. 

Allens turn: complete over the middle. Hurry up for fg. Hauschka nails it. Three for three 

* kick return / kick off now being worked on. The crowd has grown. Pretty full house by 920. 

* first team dbs working on the juggs machine while teams work. White looks ready for week one with his focus. 

* tried to post pictures but hit the size limit. Will add some when I get home if I can. 

* 11 on 11 next (it seems). Shady pops the first carry for a big one. Shaq starting with the ones on D. Second play edmunds gets a sack on AJM. Untouched. Third play is a stuff of ivory by the d. Second groups in. First is a stretch run tackled in the backfield for a loss. Second play, PA incomplete from peterman. We 16 never looked for the ball. Third play is PA. 99 with the sack! Third groups in. First play for Allen, pressured and throws it away. Flag on the play, offsides drawn by Allen. Second play big run up the gut for a TD BY 35. Untouched. Third play for Allen nice option run for 4 yards. Love the offensive sets so far 

First groups back in... PA to a wide open clay. Great design for an easy completion for AJM. second play a RPO, AJM throws to the sideline late to 45. Incomplete. Third play: stretch run to ivory for a big gain. 

Second group in : Huber 50? pissed about something. Leaves the field (not injured). First play is a big run for a TD by 15. Missed the start of the play there. Second play a run up the gut. D holds to one or two yards. Third play; PA pass. Peterman hits 80 after getting lots of time. A fight breaks out behind the line of scrimmage. Over now. 

Third Group in, Allen climbs the pocket, finds a dump off but rb gets leveled for min gain. Good escape by Allen. Second play: weak side handoff for a gain of 10. Nice truck by the Rb (cadet). Third play flea flicker. Wide open 19 but Allen over threw him by a fingertip. 

* Allen now working with the ones against air while the defense works on goal line. Allen goes 3 for 3 vs air. Peterman up now. 

Really like the the pace of this practice. McCoach doing a good job. 

* Allen with the ones as we start a new 11. First play is compete to the sideline for 8. Play two: quick screen broken up by shaq penetrating well. Third play for Allen: clay drops a low (but catchable) ball. 

Peterman an in with the second group: first pass is complete to sideline for 7 or 8. Second play pa pass with good protection to a wide open 15 for an easy score. Third play: peterman gets the d to jump with a hard count. Empty set, good protection, peterman throws it behind his guy (reily) for an incomplete. 

AJM in with group three. First play quick pas to clay complete - but clay fumbles. Second play quick screen to 19 for 10 yards. Third play: AJM throws deep (flag on play) but incomplete. Missed his guy with tight coverage down the sideline 

First group w Allen back in; play one Ivory stuffed in the backfield by Milano and company. Second play complete to foster who is in with the first WR group. 12 yards over the middle. Good read by Allen. Third play: sack on Allen, two bills got there fast on an overload blitz. 

Peterman group in: pitch for 4 yards. 15 the ball carrier. Second play peterman escaped pressure and threw incomplete but would have been PI. Not sure he escapes that sack in live action tho. Third play: hit again as he threw but got it complete for a first down. 

Ajm group in - first play is a wheel route for a short gain. Flag on the play on the offense (lined up offsides). Second play dimarco with a fb run for a one yard gain. Good stop by the d. Third play nothing there so AJM pulls it down and runs for 15 easy before he would slide. 

Ajm back lack with ones now as 11 on 11 confines. First play offsides offense (mills) but AJM completes a 10 yard out to McCoy. Second play another offsides. This time on the d. Play resets... Complete to KB over the middle. AJM moving well in the pocket. Protection has been okay with the first line group. Like what I'm seeing from Dawkins. Still hate vlad.  Third play no d line rush. AJM misses wide to his rb out of the backfield. 

Peterman in with the second group now. Happy feet in the pocket but found his check down over the middle for a couple. Good coverage, peterman finds his check down again, complete for a couple more. Third play : finds 26 over the middle who shook 50 out of his cleats. Picked up the first. 

Allen group in now. First play Allen rifles one over the middle incomplete. Looking for 8. No where close to anyone. It was a missile. Second play Allen doesn't like the look and calls a time out. Resets. PA pass - all day to throw but good coverage. Tries to find 8 across the deep middle, incomplete. Third play; incomplete. Good coverage. Allens worst set there but it still was better than I expected. 

Ajm back in with ones. No d line rush. Incomplete pass, great coverage. This d backfield is talented. Second play finds Charles over the middle. Another fight breaks out behind the play. Still going can't see numbers. 92 and someone on o.  Last play for AJM this set - finds McCoy short who puts on some moves to get 7 more before the whistle

peterman in-  finds 45 on the sidelines with a dart (his best ball today) and it goes for 20+ more. Second play is a swing pass that goes for 7. Third play: good throw to 39 (89?) on a slant. Good for a first. Peterman had his best set. 

Allen back in now. First play GREAT anticipation throw to the back shoulder for Ray Ray. Great catch. Great throw. His best of the day. Second play - coverage sack (only rushed two in a glorified 7 on 7 but still got the sack. Third play. Another good throw but dropped on the sideline. Session over. 

* FG work now. Hauschka goes 5/6, his only miss was his second try from 30. Drilled the last two from 50

*  Two minute drill (?) , might just be 11 on 11. First play with the ones and AJM is a sack. Second play he finds McCoy for ten. Third play another sack. Held the ball too long. 

Peterman group in. First play is a check down. Good coverage again and pressure. No time for peterman thanks to adolphus. Peterman misses his second throw. A lot more pressure. Third play he gets his rb killed with an ill advised swing pass. 

Allen group in. First toss an easy 10 to 26. Good timing. Second play Allen sacked (might have been able to break it for a couple in live setting). Third play great throw (deep come back) by Allen to 19 for a first. 

First  group in now with AJM. Another sack with just rushing four. The oline is getting eaten up this session. Guess who? Vlad. Ugh. Second play: AJM got the d to jump. Good work by him to try to slow this rush and help his line. Resets the play: finds 14 for 6 yards on an out. Nothing flashy - that's AJM today, but steady. Third play -  check down for 5 to the rb. Nothing big. 

Peterman group in first play is a nice throw to foster but flags on the play for a pick by the offense. Good ball though. Second play: didn't get the play off before the clock expired , but it was complete to 89 for a big gain. Third play : draw play for a couple. 

Third group in with Allen. First play is a dart to 3 for a short gain. Good throw though, good protection. Second play good progression by Allen. Finds his third option #3 for a first down on the sideline. Third play: qb draw for a first down. Good design on the play. Session over. 

* first teams back in for more 11 on 11, sustained drive drill. AJM up. First pass is a nice completion to clay but flags down. First down... Sack next. Slow read by AJ. He had a guy but never saw him. Second down and long ... (Phone dying lol) scramble and throws the ball away. Good coverage downfield that time. Third down and long... Pressure from LORAX forces the throw away. Fourth down and long now.... Interception by edmunds! Forced pass by AJM but great read by the rook. 

Petermans turn to drive. First play should have been picked. Bad throw over the middle incomplete. Second down and ten. Swing pass for a few. Third and medium - sack. Fourth and medium now... Escapes pressure but throws an incomplete pass. 

Allen up now for the same drill. First down, great deep throw down the sideline to 5 for a first down! On the 40 now. First down: pressure - he threw it away. Second down, pressure again and he throw it away. Third down now, tried to get it in on a slant to 3 but it's off his hands. Fourth down now and ten. Last shot for Allen. Nope. Kidding. Fg try from 52. It's GOOD!

Practice over , phone almost dead. Have to try to uber home with no battery. Will return for a proper write up. :beer: 

GO BILLS

Wait a minute....you went to bills training camp.....AND DIDNT TAKE ME

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wgr guys keep complaining about how hot it is ... then they said it was “76 and rising”

76 is hot? Is it just really humid?

A few years back - we were visiting my mom, painting her LR.  Radio said "gonna be a real scorcher today, temperature in the mid 80's"

Coming from the land of mid-90s to >100 July/Aug and 90+% humidity, I LMAO

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A few years back - we were visiting my mom, painting her LR.  Radio said "gonna be a real scorcher today, temperature in the mid 80's"

Coming from the land of mid-90s to >100 July/Aug and 90+% humidity, I LMAO

I try to take into account the humidity up there on the East Coast when ppl say this......its 105 out here every day right now on the West

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I try to take into account the humidity up there on the East Coast when ppl say this......its 105 out here every day right now on the West

:lol: yeah it wasn't that bad. Started out muggy, but then by 9 it was overcast with a nice breeze. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Sounds liked heaven.....bills football.....cool breeze.....

It was for me. I was worried I wouldn't get to any practices while I was back east, now might get to two. All depends on if I can convince my nephews to get up early enough tomorrow to go. 

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

It was for me. I was worried I wouldn't get to any practices while I was back east, now might get to two. All depends on if I can convince my nephews to get up early enough tomorrow to go. 

I would be waking YOU up with a cup of coffee in my hand to be able to go sir.....

Have fun!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wgr guys keep complaining about how hot it is ... then they said it was “76 and rising”

76 is hot? Is it just really humid?

WGR: Whiny Guy Reporters 

Edited by I am the egg man