Julio Jones is not going to report to Camp.

1 hour ago, ALF said:

If a player deserves more money as a bonus to his contract that's good. What about a player who has a big salary but doesn't  earn it , not injury related ? 

They tend to lose all that non guaranteed money and often not hit incentives either.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Yes, perfect.

The Falcons were weak.

Should have let him sit out.

While I tend to agree with that overall senitment, the reports are that this adjustment is cap-neutral. If that's the case, and it isnt changing anything on the Franchise's side, then it's a good idea to do.

Will be interesting to see the details, since the first report said he wanted a raise in salary, but I'm not sure how they do that and stay cap-neutral. Figured, if anything, they'd convert some salary to guaranteed money.

As I understand it, the issue with getting Julio into camp was twofold:

1) The bugs. Julio is not a fan of all the mosquitoes (who is really?). The team has purchased him an entire case of the OFF 100% deet spray. They are also supplying him 4 citronella torches to place around his tent each evening. The rookies will be responsible for keeping them lit all night.

2) Access to showers. Julio is not bathing in the creek, and told the coaches and other players his position on the issue. The team purchased portable showers for Julio's exclusive use. Everyone else will still bathe in the creek each morning.

Rumor has it that Julio was so pleased that he is bringing extra marshmallows for the campfire each evening!

4 hours ago, nucci said:

I was just replying to your comment about the Steelers don't do this. I showed they have....

The Falcons were in a situation where they were faced with bad decision A (make the star happy and set a bad precendent) or bad decision B (Julio sits out and is a distraction/hurts football team on the field).   They chose A, you can pass judgement on that I guess but I don't think it shows weakness.  Rather it shows they balanced out the options differently.   EVERY situation with a star player is different and there is no one size fits all answer.  If some other good but not great player tries this with the Falcons, they may very well just have him sit out.

1 minute ago, mattynh said:

The Falcons were in a situation where they were faced with bad decision A (make the star happy and set a bad precendent) or bad decision B (Julio sits out and is a distraction/hurts football team on the field).   They chose A, you can pass judgement on that I guess but I don't think it shows weakness.  Rather it shows they balanced out the options differently.   EVERY situation with a star player is different and there is no one size fits all answer.  If some other good but not great player tries this with the Falcons, they may very well just have him sit out.

I concur

I dont get why fans get upset when players hold out.  When you outperform your contract or underperform  your contract things happen.  You are forced to take a pay cut or get cut, or you demand more money or sit out.  The reality is that contracts are NOT written in stone.  Players should get all they can while they can.  Teams should put the best team out there at all times, its business.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

He restructured his deal for this year and got an extra few mil in bonus money. 

Looks like they are kicking the can to next year when he will try for a new deal 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6475/julio-jones

Meaning he needs to show them he’s still elite and that Ridley can’t hold a candle to him. 

On 7/26/2018 at 11:15 AM, TheFunPolice said:

As I understand it, the issue with getting Julio into camp was twofold:

1) The bugs. Julio is not a fan of all the mosquitoes (who is really?). The team has purchased him an entire case of the OFF 100% deet spray. They are also supplying him 4 citronella torches to place around his tent each evening. The rookies will be responsible for keeping them lit all night.

2) Access to showers. Julio is not bathing in the creek, and told the coaches and other players his position on the issue. The team purchased portable showers for Julio's exclusive use. Everyone else will still bathe in the creek each morning.

Rumor has it that Julio was so pleased that he is bringing extra marshmallows for the campfire each evening!

Off and Deet 2 different products- just sayin’