Julio Jones is not going to report to Camp.

22 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

So, trade for a disgruntled WR and pay him big money, before we even know if there's a franchise QB on the roster?  Brilliant idea.

You make a fair point but imo, trading up for Watkins was even more ill advised.

20 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I agree 100 percent. 

18 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Until there are guaranteed contracts, this will keep happening.  I get why fans don’t like, but are you going to care if he blows out his knee and never earns a cent more?  

I guess this is where I differ. Jones signed his contract in 15 ..at that time he agreed to the 6 years under contract, at the clubs whim of course, in exchange for all the bonus money paid up front. Here is his contrack from Spotrac

ulio Jones signed a 5 year, $71,256,045 contract with the Atlanta Falcons, including a $12,000,000 signing bonus, $47,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $14,251,209. In 2018, Jones will earn a base salary of $10,500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $12,900,000 and a dead cap value of $4,800,000.

So his comp this year is $14M. not the 10 everyone wants to say it is. Remember, in no other sport (with rare exceptions) are people given signing bonuses, and that needs to be factored into his AAS. He knew then in exchange for the $47M in guarantees, he was committing to the team for 6 years. The team was committing $47M..they could cut him in training camp of year 1 if they wanted.He and his agent knew this when signed...nothing has changed. Now he does not like the deal..tough. Negotiate one that lets you walk after 3 years then, and realize your signing bonus goes down in return for guarantee salary. Negotiate a player option in year 4 ..any number of things..but realize you will give something up in order to get.

It is what he signed for is all i am saying. Now the guys who get screwed are UDFA and the like. They are stuck with Exclusive right and Restricted free agency status that is just brutal to their abiloity to get a fair, market rate deal. 

I will say again, some UFA needs to press hard to get a percentage of cap deal guarantedd for 3 years and then the market will start to turn

23 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

So all Contracts should be guaranteed then is what are saying. 

They did anticipate this happening. He performed maintained his leverage on a team and is now using his leverage to get his money guaranteed. 

This explains it well. 

Chris Mortensen (@mortreport)
Julio Jones' $47 million in guarantees was paid out in first three years of his extension at a fair market value of almost $16m per year. He has three years left at $10.5m, $12.5m and $11.4m but annual salary not guaranteed until week 1 as veste

He just wants guaranteed money. As Virigl starts just like Rookie Deals. 

So basically, he played out the years on his contract that were advantageous to him, and now that he's in the portion that's advantageous to the team he wants a change.

And people wonder why fans take the teams' side over the players?

16 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

So basically, he played out the years on his contract that were advantageous to him, and now that he's in the portion that's advantageous to the team he wants a change.

yep, you got it in regards to Julio..but some players are absolutely hosed , and for those, i side with them..

For example, I am 100% with OBJ that he should not play this year under his 5th year option...that is a contract he had no say in...now whatever he signs this year he needs to live with..as Jones should be doing

Edited by plenzmd1

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

And How often to Teams cut and force paycuts when contract is not advantageous to them???

i guess you NEVER used leverage in a job to get a better pay situation right??

Edited by MAJBobby

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

yep, you got it in regards to Julio..but some players are absolutely hosed , and for those, i side with them..

For example, I am 100% with OBJ that he should not play this year under his 5th year option...that is a contract he had no say in...now whatever he signs this year he needs to live with..as Jones should be doing

as do the owners...no asking for pay cuts...no releasing him while under contract....

I don't think Julio has any leverage really.  Is he going to forfeit $10.5m in salary when he has 3 years left on his current deal?  I doubt it.  Showing up to camp really isn't that big of a deal for all pro's.  The Falcons biggest problem is that they're already bumping up against the cap.  They only have about $5m in available cap space.  Reworking his deal next year makes a lot more sense.  Trading him certainly does not.

17 minutes ago, nucci said:

as do the owners...no asking for pay cuts...no releasing him while under contract....

I 100% disagree with this. Players, Agents, GM’s , Owners , coaches all understand contracts are what is guaranteed and signing bonus,,, and that once dead cap hit becomes manageable that player could be released etc. realistically , they could cut him day after contract was signed. 

In in this case , Julio has essentially been guaranteed $47 million to sign a six year deal obligating him to the team, and the team has the right to pay him another 10m this year, another 12m next year.etc.  It’s a team option, and he and his agent understood 100% that is what it was when they signed it... this was not mandated by a rookie pool, or a CBA, or any other rule. It was negotiated freely between the club and Julio and his agent.  Now they have to live by the deal they agreed to, freely, and don’t like it. If they don’t like he can be cut before week 1, write into contract salary for upcoming years guaranteed 1st day of league year. 

Dont have sympathy for him. 

OBJ oth, has a contract he could not freely negotiate being a first round pick, so his stance I get. No way if I am OBJ do I set foot on a practice field until I get my “FREELY” negotiated next deal done. Stupid tag complicates things, but I get that reasoning. 

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

So the answer is no. He's been treated fairly by the Falcons, and he's !@#$ing them over.

You may enjoy an NBA-style league. I personally find that garbage.

Nope do enjoy employees being able to use their leverage for a better contract or a better company to work for. 

So would the Falcons honor the last three years IF julios play slipped dramatically 

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Nope do enjoy employees being able to use their leverage for a better contract or a better company to work for. 

:rolleyes:

You're a dense one, Bobby. I'll give you points for persistence in the face of all logic, however.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

:rolleyes:

You're a dense one, Bobby. I'll give you points for persistence in the face of all logic, however.

So you are telling me you NEVER used leverage with an employer?

8 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I've never been UNDER CONTRACT with an employer, with the exception of my term in service of Uncle Sam.

So you never used your leverage to get a better assignment, a school or anything like that?? ?

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

So you never used your leverage to get a better assignment, a school or anything like that?? ?

I only did one term. The leverage I had when I left couldn't be outweighed by my desire to be a civilian. They offered me a GENEROUS package, but nothing could keep me in the Army.

Edited by joesixpack

28 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So would the Falcons honor the last three years IF julios play slipped dramatically 

Would Julio have given some of the $ 47 M back if he had 3 poop seasons? Again, he is playing under a contract he freely negotiated and signed... no CBA rule dictated he signed what he did. 

Say what hat you want about Sammy ( or Revis) on the field, he signed a contract that ties him up only 3 years..Julio did his for 6. Dummy him, smart Sammy. 

Just sos ya know, there is no prohibition on then CBA against guaranteed contracts. And if the Falcons said we need 6 to spread the cap, just make the last 3 years at players option, not team option. He signed team option deal.... deal with it. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Would Julio have given some of the $ 47 M back if he had 3 poop seasons? Again, he is playing under a contract he freely negotiated and signed... no CBA rule dictated he signed what he did. 

Say what hat you want about Sammy ( or Revis) on the field, he signed a contract that ties him up only 3 years..Julio did his for 6. Dummy him, smart Sammy. 

Just sos ya know, there is no prohibition on then CBA against guaranteed contracts. And if the Falcons said we need 6 to spread the cap, just make the last 3 years at players option, not team option. He signed team option deal.... deal with it. 

This guy gets it.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, joesixpack said:

So the answer is no. He's been treated fairly by the Falcons, and he's !@#$ing them over.

You may enjoy an NBA-style league. I personally find that garbage.

Or, maybe, last time around both sides acknowledged this as a possible revisit point.

really, for someone so far outside the situation, you sho is angry 

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Or, maybe, last time around both sides acknowledged this as a possible revisit point.

really, for someone so far outside the situation, you sho is angry 

Sure. It’s also possible that I could get a date with Brooke shields next weekend. Anything is possible, amirite?

Julio Jones, Falcons Agree to Revised Contract; WR Will Report to Camp

Joseph Zucker-BR- July 26, 2018

The Atlanta Falcons and wide receiver Julio Jones came to an agreement on his contract, the team announced Wednesday night.

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the two sides agreed to a revised contract that will adjust his 2018 salary. That will allow the sides to negotiate a long-term extension at a later date without the drama of a holdout this summer. Jones will report to camp Thursday.

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

you said Steelers don't do what falcons did.....but they did....I wasn't talking about Bell.....

of course you weren't talking about bell. because it refutes your claim.

Bell > Brown. He's a more important part to that offense than anyone other than Rapelisberger, yet they let him sit out.

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

of course you weren't talking about bell. because it refutes your claim.

Bell > Brown. He's a more important part to that offense than anyone other than Rapelisberger, yet they let him sit out.

I was just replying to your comment about the Steelers don't do this. I showed they have....