Does anyone here still watch The Simpsons?

Another Fan

So they are getting rid of Apu because he is an offensive stereotype and an Indian made a documentary about it, talking about how people use Apu's catch phrases and accent when referring to Indians. He also finds it offensive that he is voiced by a white man. But he also now doesnt le that they are just getting rid of him because that's just taking the easy way out, he had hoped they would turn him into a positive image that would not be offensive to Indians.

Best thing I saw about it was someone saying how Apu was an successful immigrant who came to the country, ran a successful business, and supported a large family, basically living the American dream.

23 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

So they are getting rid of Apu because he is an offensive stereotype and an Indian made a documentary about it, talking about how people use Apu's catch phrases and accent when referring to Indians. He also finds it offensive that he is voiced by a white man. But he also now doesnt le that they are just getting rid of him because that's just taking the easy way out, he had hoped they would turn him into a positive image that would not be offensive to Indians.

Best thing I saw about it was someone saying how Apu was an successful immigrant who came to the country, ran a successful business, and supported a large family, basically living the American dream.

And they'll just move on from one character to the next after this.  Just wait until they realize that Harry Shearer voices Dr. Hibbert even though he's not black.  And on top of that, he's modeled after Cliff Huxtable, so look out.  Bart is voiced by a woman, Maggie's baby sounds done by an adult... Outrage!

• Like (+1) 1

The Simpsons was great once upon a time.  It was "edgy" as far as late 80s/early-mid 90s go.  Fox was on the cutting edge of that in Simpsons, Married with Children, In Living Colour, etc... The limited stations and syndication made it rock solid.  

However, along came South Park, Family Guy, American Dad, Adult Swim, etc which pushed the envelope far past the Simpsons, and the Simpsons is pretty much confined to Springfield and the stable of recurring characters. 

• Like (+1) 1

My wife and I still watch it. Way back when, we wouldn't let our son watch it. He was always seemed to be visiting his friend's house on Sunday evening, though...

It is running short of ideas after 30 years, but there are still a few gems - golden moments if not great whole episodes.

Homer is one of my heroes.

Marge: Oh Homey, you always try to say the nicest things.

Homer: It's not easy with you talkin' all the time.

1 hour ago, The Jerk said:

I remember when the show first started Bart was supposed to be the main star but then they realized it was way funnier to base it around Homer being stupid. 

That's correct.  Season one was mostly focused around Bart and then it gradually shifted towards the shenanigans of Homer. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

That's correct.  Season one was mostly focused around Bart and then it gradually shifted towards the shenanigans of Homer. 

That's because FOX realized that adults spend more on themselves than their kids so they needed an adult centric character for ad revenue.  Also, attracts viewers that are childless or don't care for kiddie themed shows specifically.  Just like Batman of the 1960's some of the material was aimed at people ages 18-30 as well as the school aged crowd.

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I remember back when I was in second grade a classmate had a shirt with Bart on it that said Hi I’m Bart Simpson who the hell are you?  At the time me and everyone else thought that was the coolest thing.  However, the kid got in trouble for it and wasn’t allowed to wear it again.  Anyway that must have been when his character was the main star.  I still laugh at that episode where Bart tries to jump over the mountains with his skateboards while Homer does and falls! 

I still kept up over over the years until around 2001.  That’s why I was a little surprised to see it’s still on

On 11/1/2018 at 12:51 PM, Ned Flanders said:

First dozen or so seasons were appointment TV, haven't seen much since.  

Although for the last week, FXX was running a Tree House of Horror marathon and those standout as the best episodes.

Tree House of Horrors is the only Simpsons I watch anymore

And like you said, the first dozen seasons or so was appointment TV.  My Dad called The Simpsons "Quality Time" because the whole family spent time together in the living room to watch the show

Edited by /dev/null
  • Like (+1) 1