Did the Russians change my vote?

15 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I was walking my dog this morning and almost tripped over a rock.  I kicked down the road a little.  I looked down where the rock was, and there was a Russian down there. (S)he was hiding under the rock.

Can only mean one thing: your dog's colluding with the Russians. 

Siberian Husky, I'm guessing?

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, row_33 said:

image.png.e4b90edcead204de713df599729620fa.png

most valuable Russian hacker propaganda

Exactly how many people were undecided who saw that and said "Welp, that settles it, I can't support Lucifer."

If the number is greater than zero, the problem isn't Russian propaganda.  It's that those morons are allowed to vote.

• Haha (+1) 1

Jesus is pretty funny.

The demographic that actually observed him when he was alive, Tom's demographic, they reject him and consider him a fraud.  Everyone else who never observed him is 100% sure he is the "son of God."

My favorite part - when the "authorities" show up to arrest Jesus, his Disciples BOLT.....

The only thing missing.....

21 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Exactly how many people were undecided who saw that and said "Welp, that settles it, I can't support Lucifer."

If the number is greater than zero, the problem isn't Russian propaganda.  It's that those morons are allowed to vote.

what party supports Lucifer?

i guess that depends on whom you ask, probably more Dems would readily admit it....

3 minutes ago, LaDexter said:

Jesus is pretty funny.

The demographic that actually observed him when he was alive, Tom's demographic, they reject him and consider him a fraud.  Everyone else who never observed him is 100% sure he is the "son of God."

My favorite part - when the "authorities" show up to arrest Jesus, his Disciples BOLT.....

The only thing missing.....

My demographic?  I'm...a Roman governor?  

Then write out Romani ite domum 100 times.  If it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls of.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

My demographic?  I'm...a Roman governor?  

Yes, he eventually went before the Roman authority....

but all his disciples, all his "followers," all the folks who eagerly cheered for Barabbas....etc....

And the "loaves and fishes" part.... gee, we find the "son of God" out of money and out of food.... obligated to feed $5k no less...

Question, when he said "give up everything and follow me"

WHO GOT EVERYTHING???

On 7/17/2018 at 10:10 AM, TakeYouToTasker said:

"We all do it" is an absolutely valid response to anyone exhibiting outrage over the situation because it gives the action context, and understanding a thing requires understanding the context in which it exists.

People should not be getting outraged over common behavior which all nations engage in as part of the status quo of normal geo-politics.  Full stop.

Further, the purchase of Facebook adds is incredibly benign in the overall sector of this sort of behavior.  Do you believe that American citizens should be prevented by their government from hearing about what people in other nations, and the leaders of other nations, think about our government? 

If not, why not?

If yes, how can a people be considered a free people if their government is permitted to control what information they are allowed to consume?

What the Russian government thinks is not the information Russia played, and you know it. Russian INTELLIGENCE ran a concerted effort to play to our worst biases and to influence an American election--and democracy--and were caught at it. Ads are hardly benign and they have created two of the largest companies in the world.

I find it hard to believe most on this board don't care but it goes to a troubling symptom: People would rather snipe and snark than engage the issues here (to be clear, that is not what you did, but it's 90% of the discussion in this thread). It's hard to stand for something--and very easy to tear others down. It's a terrible problem on this board and reflected more broadly in a cynical America. I don't really care how we got here--but I do care that it stops. 

This board is what we make it. Right now, it's Maxine Waters, a Russian Bot, Fox Moulder, and the guys in the muppet balcony. We can do better but it will take a real effort. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

What the Russian government thinks is not the information Russia played, and you know it. Russian INTELLIGENCE ran a concerted effort to play to our worst biases and to influence an American election--and democracy--and were caught at it. Ads are hardly benign and they have created two of the largest companies in the world.

I find it hard to believe most on this board don't care but it goes to a troubling symptom: People would rather snipe and snark than engage the issues here (to be clear, that is not what you did, but it's 90% of the discussion in this thread). It's hard to stand for something--and very easy to tear others down. It's a terrible problem on this board and reflected more broadly in a cynical America. I don't really care how we got here--but I do care that it stops. 

This board is what we make it. Right now, it's Maxine Waters, a Russian Bot, Fox Moulder, and the guys in the muppet balcony. We can do better but it will take a real effort. 

Look directly above this preachy post of yours and you'll find a gif of Catwoman bending over.  I'd say we are doing just fine thank you.

Commie.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

oh great, now we get a paper thin shallow and stupid hating rant series on the Bible...  :(

John the Baptist caused the crucifixion!  Wake up, sheeple!   #whatreallyhappened

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

Russian intelligence has run many concerted efforts to play to our worst biases and to influence our elections over the years. The panic over that fact of geopolitics has never grown to such hysteria until the establishment lost control of the WH. Then, suddenly, it was a big a deal. Such a big deal we have congressmen on the Hill and former CIA directors calling for armed insurrection against a treasonous president... 

There's a bigger question you must answer, namely, what are the solutions. Take the hacking questions out of it, and focus on the provable Russian meddling that happened - namely Facebook ads and general propaganda. What is your proposed solution to this? Should the government or some other entity take a stronger hand in censoring our news? Should we literally create a Ministry of Truth to sort out the "real" from the "fake"? That's the exact solution Senators like Warner have been pushing for over a year now. But there's a problem with that solution - namely that it's fundamentally anti-American at its core. 

And that's the rub, Beginners. What Russia actually did was use our own freedom of speech and press against us. They "flooded" the marketplace with fake propaganda while posing as (and sometimes were actually) American citizens. Guess what? It's not the fault or responsibility of the federal government to stop that from having an impact. It's up to US. The people. We have the freedom of speech and expression, but with that comes responsibility to think for ourselves. That's why these inalienable rights are so precious they must be preserved at all cost - ESPECIALLY when the state is pushing to roll back those protections in the name of "national security".  

If any votes were changed by this kind of attack, it's OUR fault ultimately. It's our fault for not educating our people better. For not promoting a more open and less contentious environment in which we can exchange political ideas and tackle controversial subjects without having to resort to partisan trench warfare. 

The Russians exploited what THEY see as a weakness. The freedom of the people to communicate and express themselves without fear. Even while it's being exploited by a foe, this is NOT a weakness of the country or the people. This freedom is a STRENGTH. Or could be if we took more responsibility for the information we consume and did better to discern truth from fiction. Any talk of rolling back these protections, to save our electoral process from "Russia", should be chilling to any sensible thinking American. 

It's the SAME logic used after 9/11 to convince us that we don't really need a 4th or 5th amendment, not if it keeps us vulnerable to "terrorism". We, as a people, willingly gave up our right to privacy and our right to due process in order to give the state more power to "keep us safe". How has that worked for everyone? We've seen the government - men named JAMES CLAPPER sit before Congress and the nation and LIE to the people about the scope of the governmental spying apparatus installed in the wake of 9/11. Now these SAME PEOPLE, not just the same agencies but the SAME PEOPLE, are asking us to "trust them" again. That "this is needed for our safety". 

Don't you think that's ridiculous? 

This board for a long time has been a place where controversial and political ideas can be batted about. There was always snarking and snipes - but not of posters or their beliefs, just of their opinions and ideas which were being debated. It's been a relative recent phenomenon to solely attack the individual rather than their ideas - and that largely has been pushed by posters who are not interested in doing anything other than trolling. The Tibs, the Garys, the Birds, the Baskins, (there's a common strain between these posters, but I leave that to you to figure out) who have never offered anything more to this board than being easy targets - and they've never bothered to try to elevate themselves or their content because they do not care. They just want to troll.

Now, two years into Trump, the TDS has addled the brains of other - normally calm and rational posters - to the point of making them unable to see past the hyperbole. This is the residue of a long term propaganda campaign which has been waged relentlessly by those with the most to hide re SpyGate. This, in my opinion, is a temporary condition that will phase itself out as we move past the midterms. But the Tibs, Garys, Birds, and Baskins will remain trolling asshats with no interest in elevating the discourse here. 

That's not what this board is at all if you read a bit more closely. The best advice I can give anyone down here is to read more than one or two or twelve posts of the regulars before thinking you understand their politics or opinions. People are in a race to lump everyone into groups (thanks, identity politics) so they can agree or dismiss quickly rather than taking the time to have a real conversation. 

But when those real conversations happen, and they happen far more than you're giving this board credit, they can be very intelligent and insightful. There is a lot of brain power from a lot of diverse fields down here in the dungeon. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

John the Baptist caused the crucifixion!  Wake up, sheeple!   #whatreallyhappened

He was a Jew. Probably forwarded the Zionist agenda with Col. Ossman via the Jew Bee Dance afterwards.

56 minutes ago, row_33 said:

so like 2,000,000 tons of hate-blame was lifted off W's shoulders when Trump was sworn in?

No, everything before 2012 is still Bush's fault and everything after 2012 is Trump's, with a few exceptions blaming stuff on cops, the NRA, or white people

8 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Russian intelligence has run many concerted efforts to play to our worst biases and to influence our elections over the years. The panic over that fact of geopolitics has never grown to such hysteria until the establishment lost control of the WH. Then, suddenly, it was a big a deal. Such a big deal we have congressmen on the Hill and former CIA directors calling for armed insurrection against a treasonous president... 

There's a bigger question you must answer, namely, what are the solutions. Take the hacking questions out of it, and focus on the provable Russian meddling that happened - namely Facebook ads and general propaganda. What is your proposed solution to this? Should the government or some other entity take a stronger hand in censoring our news? Should we literally create a Ministry of Truth to sort out the "real" from the "fake"? That's the exact solution Senators like Warner have been pushing for over a year now. But there's a problem with that solution - namely that it's fundamentally anti-American at its core. 

A few points. 

First, your question "Should we literally create a Ministry of Truth to sort out the "real" from the "fake"" and implying that Americans are acting "unamerican" to the "core" is a scare tactic designed to imbue hyperbolic intent into either my post, or Warren's words, or both. The leap to there is at best the slippery slope argument, where the slope is under a foot of KY Jelly. I implied no such intent, and Warren for all her kookiness, did not either. It reminds me of the stuff my brother used to email me (pages and pages) when he was convinced dubya was about to launch a military takeover of the government if you just watched the code being given out in official announcements. He would piece together a sentence in one CIA press release with a typo in a NYT article and show how factions were communicating. He could bury me in pages of this bunk but his more credible soundbytes sounded like what you note there, down the slippery slope to conspiratorial oblivion, instead of just noting that people have different (and bad) ideas. 

The Russians absolutely used our freedom against us. As did the 9-11 hijackers. As will others. That doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that many here on this board (reflecting a mood of many) have a collective shrug over it. Or say what about Obama? Or what about us? Those are interesting questions but miss the immediate point of dealing with the issue. Our president says he believes a dictator over his own intel apparatus (until after his own party lambasts him, when he says he misspoke, which the entire context of his remarks shows is untrue). It concerns me that our president personally struck a line from his prepared remarks yesterday that he would bring people who colluded with Russians to justice. Why strike that--of all lines. And then in the same paragraph, he adds remarks that belittle Russia's acts. Don't misread this as Trumpophobia. I don't care for him but I don't believe he colluded with Russia. I don't think he's Putin's puppet. But I do believe he thinks there's a conspiracy afoot, fed by a looney fringe, and acts accordingly. 

8 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

This board for a long time has been a place where controversial and political ideas can be batted about. There was always snarking and snipes - but not of posters or their beliefs, just of their opinions and ideas which were being debated. It's been a relative recent phenomenon to solely attack the individual rather than their ideas - and that largely has been pushed by posters who are not interested in doing anything other than trolling. The Tibs, the Garys, the Birds, the Baskins, (there's a common strain between these posters, but I leave that to you to figure out) who have never offered anything more to this board than being easy targets - and they've never bothered to try to elevate themselves or their content because they do not care. They just want to troll.

That's a gross oversimplication of the board politic. Tiberius is what he is. But others while perhaps possessing the capacity to be different than Tiberius, choose not to be. And the guy who told me to look at Catwoman's ass. And the people who race not to examine the issue du juor but instead cry hypocrite any time someone offers a fair critique of "their guy." Look at the meme-ing of this board in the last few months. That's not an interesting contribution. It's just meme-dumping of the Russian bot variety. The list goes on and on. And I share it too as I've got a lifetime of posting douchebaggery. 

But it's a problem. And it's not a liberal one--that's patently unfair--It's a group one. Not just here, but on here, we all own it. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

A few points. 

First, your question "Should we literally create a Ministry of Truth to sort out the "real" from the "fake"" and implying that Americans are acting "unamerican" to the "core" is a scare tactic designed to imbue hyperbolic intent into either my post, or Warren's words, or both.

It was neither. It was Warner's own words. I offered no opinion on your solution because you offered none, hence me asking what your solution is. 

7 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

The Russians absolutely used our freedom against us. As did the 9-11 hijackers. As will others. That doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that many here on this board (reflecting a mood of many) have a collective shrug over it. Or say what about Obama? Or what about us? Those are interesting questions but miss the immediate point of dealing with the issue. 

No one has shrugged it off. In fact, many were so alarmed they devoted hours and weeks and months of their lives to trying to sort truth from fiction on the topic. What you suggest are merely "interesting questions" are in fact central questions. Which is exactly why they are not being asked by 90% of the media and Congress. 

9 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

But I do believe he thinks there's a conspiracy afoot, fed by a looney fringe, and acts accordingly. 

There is. And there's more evidence to prove it than there is of Russian hacking or collusion. Much more. 

10 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

That's a gross oversimplication of the board politic.

You've been here under a year. I've been here for over a decade. It's not an oversimplification, it's a summary of how this board functions. 

10 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

That's a gross oversimplication of the board politic. Tiberius is what he is. But others while perhaps possessing the capacity to be different than Tiberius, choose not to be. And the guy who told me to look at Catwoman's ass. And the people who race not to examine the issue du juor but instead cry hypocrite any time someone offers a fair critique of "their guy." Look at the meme-ing of this board in the last few months. That's not an interesting contribution. It's just meme-dumping of the Russian bot variety. The list goes on and on. And I share it too as I've got a lifetime of posting douchebaggery. 

But it's a problem. And it's not a liberal one--that's patently unfair--It's a group one. Not just here, but on here, we all own it. 

Dude don't put words in my mouth.  I never told you to look at Catwoman's ass.  I pointed to the gif as proof that this board has some positive traits.  Look at whatever ass you prefer.

I find it interesting that you wax poetic about how Trump is handling this Russia collusion narrative and why it is so important.  All the "above the fray" prose you throw around is cute and all but it misses the obvious larger context, perhaps purposefully so.  I'd bet $$$$$$$$$$ that Russia has interfered or at least tried to interfere in every one of our Presidential elections since at least 1917 using the technology of the time, and likely a lot of lesser elections too.  

Why then is this the story of the century?  It can't be that they took out a Facebook ad can it?  No.  it can't.  Everything I have seen shows so little understanding by the Russians of the American mindset that it reminds me of a Travolta movie called "The Experts".  That is why it is being "shrugged off".  It is visibly stupid and despite your supposition that everyone else is dumb and you need to let us all know what is important, it remains visibly stupid.

So if the Russians have always done this, why is it so important this time?  It is because of how they did it.  They infiltrated Hillary Clinton's home made email server, which was obviously put in place to avoid FOIL scrutiny, and the DNC server.  This can all easily be traced to Hillary's effort to avoid scrutiny.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think she wanted her emails and files seen by the Russians, Chinese or anyone else; not for free anyway.  It's that she wanted them concealed from the public records repository where they belong.  

There are a lot of idiots when it comes to technology, so she is hardly alone in either thinking she could hide it or her failure in securing it from espionage.  Once the exposure was discovered, an effort was made to cover all of it up.  Thinking that this could be covered up displayed a massive ignorance regarding technology, but then again ignorance is as old as time.  It is why phrases like  "the cat is out of the bag" and "you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube" were coined.  But the apparatus thought they were smarter than everyone else and proceeded.  This led to bigger and bigger lies.  Some but not all of them could have stayed under wraps if Hillary were elected.  Once Trump won, there weren't any rugs big enough left to sweep things under.  That is why Russia attempting to meddle in 2016 is a big story but it wasn't in 2012, 2008, 2004, 2000, 1996, 1992, 1988, 1984, 1980, 1976, 1972, 1968, 1964, 1960, 1956, 1952, 1948, 1944, 1940, 1936, 1932, 1928, 1924, or 1920.  So.....blame Trump.  Try to pin him into corners on what the topic of his next sentence simply must be.  Just wait for him to say something inarticulate so everyone can have a fit and he can be tossed from office.  

FWIW I think Trump is a goof.  He has done some things I like and some things I hate.  The world has not caught on fire because of him.  He is the President.  He needs to be accountable on all issues but he does not need to follow CNN's instruction on what to do, how to do it, or what he must discuss next. 

By all means continue to talk down to everyone on why whatever you select as the "issue du jour" is what everyone should focus on.  Make sure to use big words and remind everyone of how friendly you are.  Pretend that people are easily fooled and can't tell you're a commie.  But please, for the love of all that is good, don't do it in the thread with perfectly good Catwoman gifs.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Deranged Rhino is too hardcore to dismiss as a lightweight....

You are free to disagree, maybe try to discuss why with him....

Ask him about the Nazi base in Antarctica.  

No, wait...don't ask him that.  You'll regret it.  

Ask him about turbulence.  Much more fun.

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I pick my fights with DR very carefully

have learned a ton

On 7/18/2018 at 9:38 AM, LABillzFan said:

What Bible are YOU reading?

Are you claiming the disciples stood there "shoulder to shoulder" with the "son of God" as he was "arrested," or did they take off as the music played BAD BOYS BAD BOYS....

On 7/18/2018 at 3:52 PM, row_33 said:

so like 2,000,000 tons of hate-blame was lifted off W's shoulders

No, those tons are still there for the US' worst ever traitor...

2 hours ago, LaDexter said:

Are you claiming the disciples stood there "shoulder to shoulder" with the "son of God" as he was "arrested," or did they take off as the music played BAD BOYS BAD BOYS....

It's funny to me that you're quick to discuss this without having any idea what you're talking about.

But I've been reading some of your posts, and they all seem to have that common thread. So I'll save myself the effort and move you to gatorland.

Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) are stepping up a push for action on their bipartisan proposal to hit Russia with automatic new sanctions if it interferes in future U.S. elections.

Rubio and Van Hollen have asked bipartisan leaders of the Banking and Foreign Relations committees, which share jurisdiction over sanctions legislation, to hold a hearing on and mark up their plan to impose new penalties on Moscow within 10 days after the director of national intelligence determines that further electoral meddling has occurred.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/20/senate-russia-sanctions-bill-rubio-van-hollen-734904

They almost changed my mind, but I have a little bit of a moral compass.  Yet, I am still a blue collar, white, middle aged male behind the "Blue Firewall" with populist tendancies, 10/13 of my Federal Gov't co-workers voted for Trump.

...To this day, my 16 year, identity driven daughter insists I voted for Trump.  I keep telling her, as much as my moral compass is askew a bit, I still have little compass and voted Hillary... 

...No Roosky Commie Pinko getting me to feel ungrateful for my life.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They almost changed my mind, but I have a little bit of a moral compass.  Yet, I am still a blue collar, white, middle aged male behind the "Blue Firewall" with populist tendancies, 10/13 of my Federal Gov't co-workers voted for Trump.

...To this day, my 16 year, identity driven daughter insists I voted for Trump.  I keep telling her, as much as my moral compass is askew a bit, I still have little compass and voted Hillary... 

...No Roosky Commie Pinko getting me to feel ungrateful for my life.

If you voted for either of them your moral compass is !@#$ed sideways.

Seeing as HC won NY, it didn't matter Mead

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:19 AM, DC Tom said:

They're there, I saw the documentary

• Haha (+1) 1