World Cup 2018 Thread

5 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

He's definitely a heart throb.

Crap....is that what a heart throb looks like? Now I have to change just about everything. .....well mainly my hair and face.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Good match. Glad France got a few goals that weren't gimmes. Makes it legit.

France gets a bunch of questionable calls in their favor.....and the one big one that goes Croatia's way gets overturned by replay.

Congrats to the "get it right" crowd.  <_<

That aside, France's counterattack is fantastic.

Some of the best didn’t bother coming to the WC and many of the best didn’t care much when they got here 

its ALL about the $$$ and the club and Champions League now, the WC barely interests the best in the game

a shame

EPL begins August 10, when they really m start to care

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Some of the best didn’t bother coming to the WC and many of the best didn’t care much when they got here 

its ALL about the $$$ and the club and Champions League now, the WC barely interests the best in the game

a shame

Is this really true?  I follow soccer for exactly one month every four years, but I assumed there was significant national pride on the line for these guys.  I thought it was much more serious than say Olympic hockey/basketball, but maybe that's just the fans?

22 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Is this really true?  I follow soccer for exactly one month every four years, but I assumed there was significant national pride on the line for these guys.  I thought it was much more serious than say Olympic hockey/basketball, but maybe that's just the fans?

It still means a boatload to these guys IMO.  Just look at the French player's reactions after they won.  

Row likes to belabor the point (correctly), that the quality of play taken as a whole is below the top clubs and the Champions League.  

Edited by stony

39 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Is this really true?

Not even a little.  You’re right about the national pride.  The WC is still a huge deal to top players and millions of fans around the world.  To me, this was a great tournament.  I enjoyed it very much.  Great performances and surprising results. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

No not true. 

The best soccer is at the club level for sure but the World Cup is a giant stage and these guys play their butts off.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

a shame

That is so not true. What is your basis for even saying that? What athlete doesn't dream of representing his country in the world's most popular sport. Better yet when has a soccer player in his prime ever turned down a wc roster call? EVERY superstar that had their squad qualified played their guts out. Brazil wasn't missing neymar, Argentina wasn't missing Messi, Modric for Croatia. Ugh don't misinform the people that don't know pls haha

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

No that's ridiculous. The best players always show up for the world cup if they are called up and healthy. A superstar soccer player simply can't deny a call up in his prime his country would hate him!

Row who are "some of the best" that didn't go? Lol name me one. Ibra didn't go because he is retired and is 36.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

EPL has won 1 champions league in 10 years. They are the most balanced/deep league but haven't competed well in champions league for years. Simply don't have the money. That's why Ronaldo leaves Manchester United for Real. Pogba leaves for Juventus.

The last player to win the ballon D'or from the premier league was Michael Owen in 2001

Like 3 players in the finals today play in the EPL.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

38 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

EPL has won 1 champions league in 10 years. They are the most balanced/deep league but haven't competed well in champions league for years. Simply don't have the money. That's why Ronaldo leaves Manchester United for Real. Pogba leaves for Juventus.

The last player to win the ballon D'or from the premier league was Michael Owen in 2001

This isn't exactly accurate. Pogba plays for Manchester United, Mendy plays for City, Kante and Giroud play for Chelsea, Lloris keeps for Tottenham. The two teams in the third place match Saturday could nearly field a starting 11 made of just United and Tottenham players. Heck, Kane won the Boot this year.

The EPL has some of the richest teams in Europe. They struggle for two big reasons. They don't get the midwinter break that other leagues get, and the league is more competitive as of late.

Edited by sodbuster

3 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Pogba didn't leave Man United for Juventus because of the money, he left because of the playing time and Ferguson wasn't giving him the time. He wasn't being taken seriously at United. He went to Juventus to prove he could play. His only problem at United now is Mourinho and the system he plays requires Pogba to play defensively much much more and doesn't have Kante and Matuidi next to him.

And his return to United was at the time the largest transfer fee in all of Football. The Premiership has plenty of money and has some of the richest teams in Europe.  

• Like (+1) 1

I watched a good number of the elimination games and I didn’t see any players looking disinterested out there. I’m just a once every four years type of soccer fan but I thought the final was great. I wanted Croatia to win but it was a good match, some hard play and not too many flops. France was the better team, if Croatia was able to score in the first 10 minutes or so while they controlled play perhaps the game would have been different. 

I would watch that that game more often than every four years, I don’t enjoy watching Neymar and company do barrel rolls down the field. The goal scorer for Croatia played his heart out, is he in a big time soccer league? Seems like a heck of a player.