[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Move always wondered what they would do with a name that already ends in those letters. Wiley-ey? And then there’s a name like Smith. I suppose it has to be Smitty, but I’m not crazy about nicknames that actually lengthen a name. 

Yeah ah I know, great topic after the 10th win in a row. 

Wiles.

I'm really glad they got #10 last night, because playing two of the next three @ TB and @ Nashville is a beast of a trip!

Also...does anyone else think Jeanneret is trying a little too hard?  The "scary good" thing at the end of last night's game felt forced.

Edited by eball

As AD said, "celly" has been a hockey word for a long while. That said, people who are asking did it come up in the last few weeks are somewhat correct, too. It's been all over the football world, I assume perhaps because of the NFL team celebrations this year. So in the last couple months (even to last year) fans all over the place have been using that word, which has crept into the consciousness.

On another point from above, I have been convinced that Terry and Kim fell in love with Sean McDermott from the time they met him, and his young, no nonsense, "trust the process" demeanor and plan, which is why they hired Jason Botterill when the GM job became open (as well as Brandon Beane). They're similar in a lot of ways although, of course, not everything.

Botterill and Housley, as far as pushing all the right buttons and pulling all the right strings, are as hot as their team is. Keep it up, boys.

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

As AD said, "celly" has been a hockey word for a long while. That said, people who are asking did it come up in the last few weeks are somewhat correct, too. It's been all over the football world, I assume perhaps because of the NFL team celebrations this year. So in the last couple months (even to last year) fans all over the place have been using that word, which has crept into the consciousness.

On another point from above, I have been convinced that Terry and Kim fell in love with Sean McDermott from the time they met him, and his young, no nonsense, "trust the process" demeanor and plan, which is why they hired Jason Botterill when the GM job became open (as well as Brandon Beane). They're similar in a lot of ways although, of course, not everything.

Botterill and Housley, as far as pushing all the right buttons and pulling all the right strings, are as hot as their team is. Keep it up, boys.

I also don't discount how hiring McD affected Pegulas' realization that Murray was a bum.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GG said:

I also don't discount how hiring McD affected Pegulas' realization that Murray was a bum.

Yeah, that is part of the same thing. They loved the no-nonsense stuff, which was the complete opposite of the clownshow of Rex and the weirdness of GMTM, which was happening alongside both of their teams losing, and the fans all over town and twitter beginning to question the Pegulas' smarts.

3 hours ago, eball said:

Exactly.  Just pay attention to the nicknames teammates have for each other.  It's almost exclusively a shortened last name with either an "S" or an "LY."

The improvement in Tage's play has been noticeable recently.  He's really starting to look like an asset.

You forgot "mer" or "mers".

Like Pominville is Pommer or Pommers.

Edit:  I've got nothing else to say about this team.  I don't know how to refrain from complaining. Just trying to relax a bit and enjoy a 10 game streak, but I'm jittery  and nervous.  If they beat TB and then Toronto next week, I will be unconscious.

Edited by snafu

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

What both Botterill and McDermott had in common is that both of them had a vision how an organization should be shaped and operated. Each of the two had a concept how not only a team should be built but also how the organization should be structured top to bottom. Botterill believed in the Pittsburgh model on how a team should be built and also how important it was to emphasize the development process in the minors. 

The Pegulas had first hand experience with showmen who were adept at garnering attention and being quotable but an inability to go beyond their shallowness. It doesn't matter what pro sport you are involved in the competition is steep. Not hiring thoughtful and analytical people is a recipe for failure. It's more than building a team as it is building a coherent organization. 

2 hours ago, shrader said:

No it's not.

In my mind  two uses

so we have one awful beer(Natty Bo),,some i guess say two awful beers with Natty Light

and one okay city (Cincinnati)

Natty dont register with this old white guy as the national championship!!!!!!)

4 hours ago, shrader said:

Move always wondered what they would do with a name that already ends in those letters. Wiley-ey? And then there’s a name like Smith. I suppose it has to be Smitty, but I’m not crazy about nicknames that actually lengthen a name. 

I think LY is just a common abbreviation.  The general rule is to add a Y or S to the shortened name as it fits.

12 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Love hearing that call after having to listen to the Sharks announcers being oh so disappointed all game. 

btw, have they changed the rule about tossing guys out of the circle or was the ref tonight just in the mood to toss and lecure every guy on every faceoff? 

They made some tweaks to the face off rules last season, and made it a point of emphasis to start strictly enforcing faceoff violation rules that were already in the rulebook. 

They havent been as bad with it as they were to start last season. But some refs are still more strict than others (like the refs last night...). 

It drives me nuts. I feel like I am always yelling at the TV, saying “drop the ******* puck already!”. lol