Mike Garafolo: UDFA CB Levi Wallace making noise in Bills OTAs

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Gaines has less chance. Taron Johnson is a lock imo as a 4th rd pick 

Gaines has no chance considering he is playing for Cleveland. 

Edited by Irv

On his interview with Murph, he said that his first run at the combine was a 4.48, but hurt his heal at the end of the run.  This apparently made his other runs slower.

I'm wishing him nothing but the best... He sounds like a great guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Gaines has less chance. Taron Johnson is a lock imo as a 4th rd pick 

I would agree that Johnson is more of a lock than Gaines.  That's why I said "maybe".

Still with 3 locks leaves 2-3 more.

I like hearing about some of these young "improbable" guys.  It's good for the team.

I'm waiting to see who ends up as the nickel.

Hopefully it can carry over to contact. He's the prototypical looks great in non-contact workouts player, who may have trouble once he starts getting hit harder than he has ever been hit before. Tackling a 200+ pound wideout isnt easy when your 180.

Edited by MURPHD6

13 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

Hopefully it can carry over to contact. He's the prototypical looks great in non-contact workouts player, who may have trouble once he starts getting hit harder than he has ever been hit before. Tackling a 200+ pound wideout isnt easy when your 180.

I’m pretty sure that there are 200+ pound WRs in college.

2 hours ago, Bad Things said:

On his interview with Murph, he said that his first run at the combine was a 4.48, but hurt his heal at the end of the run.  This apparently made his other runs slower.

Looking here, his best time was 4.45 and it mentions his heel on his first-40.

5 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

I’m pretty sure that there are 200+ pound WRs in college.

And alot of them get camp invites, while most 160, 170, 180" and 190 pound Wrs (and there are plenty those in college as well) do not. How oftten was he put up against  200+ recievers when you were watching him? Scouting reports say that he struggled against bigger Wrs.

And what was he like in run support? The talent is a lot bigger in the NFL, so he better have amazing core strength and technique because its really easy to block a guy who's 180 at the NFL level; cracking special teams will be tough.

And if his speed is average, bulking up could easily slow him down to below average. Correction, he's listed at 179. I have nothing against the kid, but he sounds like a more of a Practice squad candidate.

And for the record Darby is listed at 5'11 193. 13 pounds heavier and 1 inch shorter makes alot of difference in terms of body mass index.

Edited by MURPHD6

11 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Thanks for that info , and at  6'0    4.48 sec  sounds a lot better. 

16 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Jalen Mills is the same height and has the same thin waist as Levi. Mills ran a 4.61 at the combine but ran a 4.48 at his pro day.

Levi is comparable to Mills and Mills has very similar size and combines with our own Poyer. 

Confused yet!? I am. 

Me too, and there's more.

NFLDraftScout sez this about Wallace:  "No Full Workout-Heel on 1st 40/Affected his 40 Yard Dash Times," and they listed his fastest 40 time as 4.45.

EDIT: I see others have already posted it. But worth noting the 4.45 they list.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

And alot of them get camp invites, while most 160, 170, 180" and 190 pound Wrs (and there are plenty those in college as well) do not. How oftten was he put up against  200+ recievers when you were watching him? Scouting reports say that he struggled against bigger Wrs.

And what was he like in run support? The talent is a lot bigger in the NFL, so he better have amazing core strength and technique because its really easy to block a guy who's 180 at the NFL level; cracking special teams will be tough.

And if his speed is average, bulking up could easily slow him down to below average. Correction, he's listed at 179. I have nothing against the kid, but he sounds like a more of a Practice squad candidate.

And for the record Darby is listed at 5'11 193. 13 pounds heavier and 1 inch shorter makes alot of difference in terms of body mass index.

Big, strong WR's are tough for any CB to defend. Wallace played against the best college players in the land. It's not as if he played D3 ball.

He's fundamentally sound which is why is nickname is "the technician".

A walk on starter at Alabama is exceedingly rare.

Edited by Sky Diver

14 hours ago, Bad Things said:

It always bothers me that a few days of combine can be so much more important that 2 or 3 years of game film.

55 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Big, strong WR's are tough for any CB to defend. Wallace played against the best college players in the land. It's not as if he played D3 ball.

20 hours ago, aristocrat said:

sherman ran a 4.56 so the 40 isn't everything.  

Especially in this defense. Heavy zone, cover 3 defenses don't rely on speed on the outside as much, and often times have their eyes in the backfield. 

Jumping routes is key for this defense. It's part of why a guy like NRC had some success earlier in his career. Granted it wasn't the same defense, but good pressure up front, forcing the ball out faster, and DBs eyes in the backfield. Instincts trump speed with CBs in this defense IMO.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1

It's definitely good to hear that he ran a 4.45 and that he had a heel injury.  And as for Sherman, I believe he was recovering from some injury when he ran at the Combine as well.

6 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

He'll likely have to play Special Teams to make the squad then. Dbs have started at his size before. But this regime seems to be placing an emphasis on size.