WGR is ditching its App for Radio.com

Going off TuneIn is dumb. 

On 7/3/2018 at 10:58 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

I get text messages that just plain disappear.

If I don't see it when it comes across then they are not on my phone.

They sent me the message that Sabres C ROR traded...and then...nothing.  I went to go look online or via twitter to see who or what he was traded to and for.

Yup happens to me too. 

On 7/3/2018 at 12:42 PM, MikeSpeed said:

I do a lot of programming, so I understand that interfaces have to change to account for new tech. But I have yet to figure out what if any improvement having the DTV interface change. Needless to say I really despise it.

I stopped going to the radio.com app on my phone. I go to WGR's website and select what I want to hear and let it open the app for me. It seems way easier.

They are shutting off the stream at their website Friday. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Going off TuneIn is dumb. 

Yup happens to me too. 

They are shutting off the stream at their website Friday. 

Promo, I am asking you, but I am really also asking everybody:  what does this mean for the tunein app on Alexa?

I believe that is going away, too.  I love having alexa for listening to GR and I have no idea whether it will find it with the radio.com.

Not to put you ont he spot, my friend, just hoping someone knows.

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Promo, I am asking you, but I am really also asking everybody:  what does this mean for the tunein app on Alexa?

I believe that is going away, too.  I love having alexa for listening to GR and I have no idea whether it will find it with the radio.com.

Not to put you ont he spot, my friend, just hoping someone knows.

I just got an Alexa. (Won it, didn't buy it.) And I do sometimes listen to WGR through it.  My guess is WGR goes away on Alexa since Alexa uses TuneIn to stream stations. Seems dumb after WGR spent so much time promoting listening through Alexa. Maybe it will work through Radio.com. We'll find out tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

He must eat well.

Then again, it's radio.  They pay with a pick axe, and whatever fridge magnets the talent can appropriate.

Guys like Brian Lee still enjoy the good life because he's a contractor not an employee. You want his voice? You pay his rate. He dictates to the Entercom's of the world. As long as he is at the top of his game and in demand, he's fine.

True story. When I managed the radio group up in NH, I had a high school kid who wanted to do radio production so bad he used to come in to work for nothing. Eventually I found some part time money for him and he made our small town stations sound like major markets. It also turned out he essentially dropped out of high school, but he did okay. He's now a major voiceover guy like Brian Lee doing national level work. In fact he's the imaging voice for Leafs TV.

http://www.chaderickson.com/

Oh, he wasn't the last one of my intern/part-timers to make it big in voiceovers:

http://www.kevinmanganvoice.com/

PromoTheRobot = star maker.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Guys like Brian Lee still enjoy the good life because he's a contractor not an employee. You want his voice? You pay his rate. He dictates to the Entercom's of the world. 

Good to see, especially an outfit like Entercorpse.  Brian Lee:  'Sticking it to the Man'.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I wonder why he isn't on more?

He said in the first hour that he gets asked that, but he doesn't want to be.  He said he's super busy.  He made this sports trivia game for Buffalo (I bought it) and was real successful and they've been adding five cities a year.  I guess they are also coming out with a second version of the Buffalo game. 

• 2 weeks later...

The new app totally sucks. I live in VA and use the live stream  a lot at different times during the day and the podcasts at night.  The app has loading issues, drops frequently, poor layout design and what is really annoying is often will not steam live. Instead it picks up where I left off the previous time.  So it could be 530pm expecting to be listening to s/b and instead  I am listening to one bills drive from 100pm.  I rarely had these issues with the old app.

6 hours ago, vanhalen26 said:

Radio app not available in the Apple App Store in Canada.  Another victim of the trade war?  Joking aside, dumb move for a border city where a good chunk of the user/listener base is from Canada.

It was not WGRs call.  It was a national syndicate owner's call and for them the market is much smaller percentage wise.

Not saying it is a good idea.  I depend upon being able to listen when I am physically unable to drive to my Bills Bar.

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It was not WGRs call.  It was a national syndicate owner's call and for them the market is much smaller percentage wise.

Not saying it is a good idea.  I depend upon being able to listen when I am physically unable to drive to my Bills Bar.

Yep. The same exact thing is happening with 92.9 in Atlanta. No more website streaming, no more TuneIn, only radio.com. Figured the parent company struck a deal, and it's happening all over the country.

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yep. The same exact thing is happening with 92.9 in Atlanta. No more website streaming, no more TuneIn, only radio.com. Figured the parent company struck a deal, and it's happening all over the country.

Entercom owns Radio.com