Daboll: Blocking Scheme, Approach to the Game

I found this on BB.COM, don't see it posted here yet.

This is what I'd read before and expected - you have to adapt to the skills you have.  He has a lot of work ahead of him, I hope he is here for more than a few years, he could be great.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Jesus, Mary and Joseph...Hank Bullough.  Unless 'No Headphones Phillips' or Mularky repeated.it later.

first time i had ever heard it was mike mularky. regardless of how many characters from that book you are using to corroborate your story!

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Daboll: Blocking Scheme, Approach to the Game
1 minute ago, swnybillsfan said:

first time i had ever heard it was mike mularky. regardless of how many characters from that book you are using to corroborate your story!

If you see 'Simon Peter' or 'Judas Iscariot' mentioned, watch out for implied sarcasm and / or chicanery.  I had a lot more colourful reply lined up, but neither the replies by the members or the message board itself needed that level of frustration.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

If you see 'Simon Peter' or 'Judas Iscariot' mentioned, watch out for implied sarcasm and / or chicanery.  I had a lot more colourful reply lined up, but neither the replies by the members or the message board itself needed that level of frustration.

oh, i love sarcasm and/or chicanery! i am also quite partial to shenanigans! 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That.......or one lineman retired due to medical concerns and another retired, unretired, and then threw a dumbbell at a government spy who was in his playground.

They traded one, Ritchie retired because of his paycheck (meaning they didn't want him) 

Like others have said, it's great in THEORY but usually bad in practice.

It's like Rex Ryan's defenses.... There's no one way to do things, as each week it's different depending on matchups and personnel, using different combinations and packages for different situations. Sounds fantastic....but it doesn't usually work so well.

Players don't become great at anything, confusion happens, mistakes are more common, and the depth players who don't get the reps to fine-tune their abilities end up being far behind when they do finally have to play.

I hope it works out, but usually having one main scheme with different variations and packages is more successful. Sometimes having a simple & straightforward philosophy yields much better results (see Jim Schwartz's defense) than switching it up week to week.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/31/2018 at 8:22 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Right on.  In an ideal world, the OL (who are often some of the smartest guys on the team) are able to learn different skills well enough to react as rapidly with all of them.  But it's better to do one thing well, than try to run 2 or 3 schemes all badly.

Especially with the limits on practice time and pads. Impossible to master 3 blocking schemes. Can you have a scheme that is founded on man with a heavy dose of zone? Sure. Greg Roman did.... but it is hard to master both and Roman's second year the line definitely benefitted from his removal and Lynn slimming down the playbook and focusing on fewer things. 

On 5/31/2018 at 7:29 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

Fair enough...

But what if the Bills had hired Belichick eighteen years ago instead of Gregg Williams, and the Bills had won multiple Super Bowls over the ensuing years and been the most dominant team in the league for more than a decade, do you really think you'd feel the same way about our coach Belichick?

Do you really thing that Ralph/Brandon and Belicheat would have tolerated each other?  NEVER would have happened!

7 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Like others have said, it's great in THEORY but usually bad in practice.

It's like Rex Ryan's defenses.... There's no one way to do things, as each week it's different depending on matchups and personnel, using different combinations and packages for different situations. Sounds fantastic....but it doesn't usually work so well.

Players don't become great at anything, confusion happens, mistakes are more common, and the depth players who don't get the reps to fine-tune their abilities end up being far behind when they do finally have to play.

I hope it works out, but usually having one main scheme with different variations and packages is more successful. Sometimes having a simple & straightforward philosophy yields much better results (see Jim Schwartz's defense) than switching it up week to week.

This is true but you do need some ability to adjust based on your opponent. You don’t want Dave Wannstedt’s defenses either.

I think it's an interesting approach that will come in handy in certain situations in a game,  in a crucial 3rd and short situation or in the red zone.

How many times have we failed to run the ball to kill the clock because the opposition knew what was coming, even though we were a good running team.

You, at least, make the DC worry about other things within a game. 

Edited by Fixxxer

Expect that Daboll will attempt to use substitutions to change blocking scheme.

Bring in better man-on-man blockers where trying to run for short yardage or add an additional blocker.

While some will emphasis the 5 primary OL need to work together using a substitution may work like it does on DL if it is worked on in camp.

23 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Yup

yup

yep I was quite young but i also recall watching the moon landing in black and white and the number of injured and killed in Vietnam war be scrolled when Walter Cronkite was doing the news

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Expect that Daboll will attempt to use substitutions to change blocking scheme.

Bring in better man-on-man blockers where trying to run for short yardage or add an additional blocker.

While some will emphasis the 5 primary OL need to work together using a substitution may work like it does on DL if it is worked on in camp.

i feel its a good method to find strengths and weaknesses form you players. As long as not too much is on the table for the pre snap

Edited by 3rdand12