Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

While the discussion went on it stagnated and the chasm grew wider. It's not surprising. 

I skipped ahead. It may not be surprising, but it can still be a little disappointing. Heck the best score I could muster was a 51, but I get it! I think I may be a tough grader. 

14 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

because some people are fooled by mistruths repeated over and over again that finally seem believable.

Others don’t like reading inconvenient truths.

And then there are those who for some reason are suspicious of science and facts.

Which one are you?

Don't know about this guy but I am solidly with journalists like yourself.  The press holds peolle accountable whether a football team ir federal government.  Thank God we have freedom of the press.  

But it doesn't mean we can't as consumers of the press be critical.  

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did you now?  Here is the original post.  I believe you will find that exact phrase contained in it

" Have you read the column wherein Sully insinuated that Terry's wealth was just dumb luck"

Now, you may feel that was a misrepresentation of Sullivan's original column - and that would be a point worth making.

But to come in here and switch the contention from "just dumb luck" to "no luck involved, not one iota" is at best, a gross misrepresentation of the posts to which you're responding.

I won't continue, because either you're too upset to be quite rational in your approach, or for reasons of your own, you're unwilling to ack a point.

Man.

Awful thread for you too.

When we've lost important contributors to this forum it hasn't been because of our best posters bickering with them.

It was because of people like the turds chasing JW in this thread.

Don't even go there......you don't want to end up like LABillzfan with JW in your avatar and only discussing JW topics.? 

• Like (+1) 1

Heck, in my decades in banking I went through multiple mergers. There were some people I didn’t particularly like personally, who I didn’t feel were particularly good at their jobs, but they were decent people who lost their jobs. I’m still emotional about a decent guy who lost his job telling me how he went out with his wife and 6 year old daughter for some pizza and wings and the young girl asked “can we afford this daddy?” 

I don’t care how much you liked what they wrote. These are real people with real families. The writing is separate from the people and their families. I hope people can make that distinction. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Man.

When we've lost important contributors to this forum it hasn't been because of our best posters bickering with them.

Don't even go there......you don't want to end up like LABillzfan with JW in your avatar and only discussing JW topics.? 

I was trying to have a discussion.  JW got snarky.  But I understand he's upset.

Man.

But I never read that post.

I included the one I was referencing, because it was focused on Promo’s reply to it.

And no worries, i’m not going anywhere.

jw

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I was trying to have a discussion.  JW got snarky.  But I understand he's upset.

1. I’m usually snarky.

2. Don’t tell me how I feel because you are clueless.

3. pffft

jw

2 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

I included the one I was referencing, because it was focused on Promo’s reply to it.

jw

1. I’m usually snarky.

3. pffft

jw

Why are you being so hostile to someone who is sympathetic in that you just had a couple former co-workers lose their jobs?

Just now, oldmanfan said:

No........you claimed JW said something he did not.     He quoted Fadingpain.    He re-posted it a few posts above.

You are just being unaccountable.    You were wrong for even starting the argument.   

The next thing you know people like Plenz are piling on JW because of your bulls*t take.

YOU ARE BAD AT TSW.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Pegula's wealth is largely a function of luck; that's how that business tends to work.  He has also made some public comments that are borderline racist.  That was before his handlers quickly muzzled him.

We don't really him speak very much anymore, do we?

Kim has zero experience or credentials to be running two major sports franchises.  None.

To suggest that she would even remotely be considered a candidate for the position, were she not the owner's wife, is absurd.  

Do you want the paper to spoon feed you rainbows, or provide opinion/perspective?

No luck was involved in Terry learning the business, deciding where to purchase land, and taking the financial risk that ended up with him becoming a billionaire.  For Sully to condescendingly suggest that it was all luck only reveals a deep seated jealousy. There is a certain amount of luck in everything we do, but Sully's take was intended to suggest that Terry did not deserve his wealth and that he did not help create it.

Being a good or bad public speaker has nothing to do with it.

Kim has more experience running businesses and now sports businesses than you, me, Sully, Bucky, and Harrington combined.  They also are smart in that they have surrounded themselves with good and qualified people.  If you have any doubt about Kim's intelligence and abilities, read Vic's recent articles.

Your post is a tad too personal.  I wonder. Hmmm.  As I said in another post, to paraphrase Chris Berman, no one circles the wagons like Buffalo media when one of their own is criticized.  

P.S. I do not need rainbows buddy, but I sure as you know what do not need someone to always find the dark cloud in the silver lining.  As for Sully's "opinions," he has essentially written a variation of the same lazy and negative Nancy column for the past several years . . . and sprinkles them with gratuitous pot shots.  As TBN told Sully, his BS columns (that he seemed to be phoning in) were bad for business.  Apparently, Sully (despite his self professed wisdom about running sports franchises) knew about as much as Jon Snow and Sergeant Schulz do about business. 

God bless.  

Edited by Peter
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No........you claimed JW said something he did not.     He quoted Fadingpain.    He re-posted it a few posts above.

You are just being unaccountable.    You were wrong for even starting the argument.   

The next thing you know people like Plenz are piling on JW because of your bulls*t take.

YOU ARE BAD AT TSW.

No I did not.  If you look above the comment was made in an earlier post than jw is referring to.  And as I posted it was a straw man argument.  I explained my feelings about Sullivan and Gleason and asked jw a question about what he considered as professional journalism.  Which by the way has not been answered.  

I will continue posting and if you don't like what I post that is unfortunate.  What I would like to have is a discussion about whether good journalism uses snarky comments and personal insult, which was my main issue at times with S&G.

Now , would you like to add your thoughts or just continue to try and dictate who should or should not post around here because you don't happen to like something?

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Man.

Indeed.

1 hour ago, john wawrow said:

because some people are fooled by mistruths repeated over and over again that finally seem believable.

Others don’t like reading inconvenient truths.

And then there are those who for some reason are suspicious of science and facts.

Which one are you?

I always have respected you. I suspect that the Pegulas and people involved in their teams do as well given that you have been given access.

But, let's not kid ourselves, there is a huge difference between what you do and what Sully and Bucky have been doing for the past several years.   I am sure that you know that as well.  

TBN realized that as well. 

All one has to do is watch that end of year press Sabres conference from a few years ago, read Sully's gratuitous shots at the Pegulas, and Bucky's misogynistic comments about Kim . . . all with the maximum amount of snark to realize that they were all about pushing their own negative narratives.

If I were the Pegulas, I would have made the same distinction between guys like you and Vic and Tim, on the one hand, and Bucky, Sully, and Harrington on the other.  There is a world of difference.  I also suspect that Harrington is going to have to temper his snark if he wants to continue at TBN.

As an aside, I remember how Bucky and Sully were so outraged about the non-disclosure agreement Bucky's buddy Pat LaFontaine signed.  I wonder if these guys also had to execute non-disclosure agreements to get their buy outs.  Hmmm.  

Edited by Peter

16 minutes ago, Peter said:

As an aside, I remember how Bucky and Sully were so outraged about the non-disclosure agreement after Bucky's buddy Pat LaFontaine signed.  I wonder if these guys also had to execute non-disclosure agreements to get their buy outs.  Hmmm.  

and you would be wrong 

jw

29 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

jw

1. I’m usually snarky.

3. pffft

jw

I knew you were quoting Fadingpain.......I knew why OMF had veered off course........and why you gave him that response which was the equivalent of a sigh.

I am a veteran of that kind of false accusation but with me it's usually done on purpose because someone is losing an argument and is looking for re-inforcements.?

As you know these dudes are a pack of dogs you gotta' smack em' around when they get outta' line or they'll annoy the **** out of you.   Well done.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I knew you were quoting Fadingpain.......I knew why OMF had veered off course........and why you gave him that response which was the equivalent of a sigh.

I am a veteran of that kind of false accusation but with me it's usually done on purpose because someone is losing an argument and is looking for re-inforcements.?

As you know these dudes are a pack of dogs you gotta' smack em' around when they get outta' line or they'll annoy the **** out of you.   Well done.

Until you get TG'd over some easily avoidable s@@@@.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

and you would be wrong 

jw

You have read the agreement?

If so, please tell us how much they were paid in their buy outs. I know you will not but I suspect that it was not a lot for someone who worked there for 29 years.

Please also explain why Bucky and Harrington could not keep their stories straight.  Bucky tweeted that he initiated the buy out: "I requested, received and accepted a buyout from TBN."

Harrington, on the other hand, admitted that TBN initiated this: "Voluntary buyouts were offered and people are making personal, life-changing decisions."

It is typical in any end of employment pay out for the employer to insist on the waiver of any claims and a non disclosure agreement or at least a non disparagement clause.  If TBN did not do so when making these payments, this would surprise me very much . . . and I would wonder what their attorneys' advice was.

Edited by Peter

4 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

A standard non-disparagement and non disclosure agreement would cover not denigrating their employer (I don't think that is likely) and not disclosing confidential business information. It wouldn't be likely to be a complete gag order.

Whether an NDA is a complete "gag order" depends on the terms of the NDA.

As for LaFontaine, it is apparent (to me) from reading Bucky's articles at the time that LaFontaine did not feel burdened by anything he signed.

Edited by Peter