Hard Knocks 2018: The Cleveland Browns

20 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

Kids are at school learning calculus and all sorts of other subjects that have little real world application except for teachers and a small number of fields. If instead they taught kids those kinds of lessons your parents taught you, it would benefit almost everyone as opposed to calculus which only helps a very small number of kids.

There's shop, cooking classes, and all sorts of other electives. There's plenty of time to teach kids how to balance their check book, understand what credit is, and why investing for retirement early is essential. 

Yes, since schools are not teaching kids these types of valuable lessons, parents should. You should be thankful your parents did, because a imagine a lot don't.

I didn't take calculus when I was 16.  Both of my parents work worked full time.  We are responsible for sending our children into the world ready.  We are the one who have let our schools pick up our slack.... And it's obviosly not working.  I am confident that people who are good with money learned from there parents.  Not from difunctional school systems.  Parent involvment is the most important part of education there is.  I don't expect my daughters to learn how to be an adult from crappy teachers.  Their standards are set by me.

I agree that I'm lucky my parents did.  But that is my entire point.  It's not luck.  It's responsibility.

And I use calculus and algebra EVERYday.  It's a gift to life if you learn it.  On a trivial note, it's nice to look at a bar bill and instantly know what 25% is for a tip.  I giggle inside that they put it on the receipt some places.

Edited by JaxBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaxBills said:

I didn't take calculus when I was 16.  Both of my parents work worked full time.  We are responsible for sending our children into the world ready.  We are the one who have let our schools pick up our slack.... And it's obviosly not working.  I am confident that people who are good with money learned from there parents.  Not from difunctional school systems.  Parent involvment is the most important part of education there is.  I don't expect my daughters to learn how to be an adult from crappy teachers.  Their standards are set by me.

I agree that I'm lucky my parents did.  But that is my entire point.  It's not luck.  It's responsibility.

And I use calculus and algebra EVERYday.  It's a gift to life if you learn it.  On a trivial note, it's nice to look at a bar bill and instantly know what 25% is for a tip.  I giggle inside that they put it on the receipt some places.

I'm don't necessarily disagree with anything you're saying. At the same time, I don't understand why you think teaching basic finance is "passing the buck." Did your parents teach you the calculus and algebra you use everyday? I'm guessing no, you probably learned that in school. Kids learn things at school, parents can't teach them everything. Basic finance is important to everyone, calculus and algebra is not. 

I completely understand your point when you say your daughters standards are set by you. That's not my point. I think the curriculum schools teach isn't necessarily the most helpful for kids when they become adults. You might use algebra and calculus everyday, but I sure as hell don't. Calculating a tip would be a lesson in basic finance. 

In an ideal world, all parents would be like you, but it's just not how it is. I think we'd be better off as a country if we also teaching kids basic finance and other practical skills in school. 

Just now, elroy16 said:

I'm don't necessarily disagree with anything you're saying. At the same time, I don't understand why you think teaching basic finance is "passing the buck." Did your parents teach you the calculus and algebra you use everyday? I'm guessing no, you probably learned that in school. Kids learn things at school, parents can't teach them everything. Basic finance is important to everyone, calculus and algebra is not. 

I completely understand your point when you say your daughters standards are set by you. That's not my point. I think the curriculum schools teach isn't necessarily the most helpful for kids when they become adults. You might use algebra and calculus everyday, but I sure as hell don't. Calculating a tip would be a lesson in basic finance. 

In an ideal world, all parents would be like you, but it's just not how it is. I think we'd be better off as a country if we also teaching kids basic finance and other practical skills in school. 

Simply because it is MY RESPONSIBILITY.  Mine.   Only mine.  Nobody else.  If you are an attentive parent you should know the lack of quality of financial training in schools and parent your kid.  If I send my kid off as an !@#$... That's on me.  I blame nobody. I was taught that, my children are taught that.

It's on us.

22 hours ago, Gigs said:

Dude, that’s the American education system. Nobody teaches finances in public schools. I was shown how to mail an envelope, not balance a check book. Get your head out of your ass

These guys are college attendees/graduates.  And grown men.  Not knowing what interest is or the important of saving for a rainy day is ridiculous, embarrassing, and unfortunately, an indication of the realties they come from.

7 hours ago, elroy16 said:

Exactly. This has nothing to do with the players and everything to do with our education system. I didn't know crap about interest or savings until my mom bribed me with $100 to read a book about compound interest and then she also opened up a roth IRA for me.

And how old were you when that happened?  In college? 

The burden of education is on the student.  You and "Gigs" both sound like a pair of idiots.

No offense.

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

These guys are college attendees/graduates.  And grown men.  Not knowing what interest is or the important of saving for a rainy day is ridiculous, embarrassing, and unfortunately, an indication of the realties they come from.

It is terrible.  This chit needs to be fixed.  I don't blame the guys.  I blame American culture.  Famliy is so important.

The variance in the Browns this year seems massive.

I can see Myles Garrett being a beast, Tyrod doing his Tyrod thing not actively losing games and just enough weapons on the offense to put out a 10 win season.

I could also see one of Haley or Williams getting into an actual fight with Hue, stories about the offense vs defense coming out constantly as they scuffle along to a 2 win year.

33 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

You're right, it probably is an indication of the realities they come from. So why not try to teach them these things in school? I'm seriously baffled at how you guys can admit kids come from backgrounds where they don't have parents teaching them important lessons and in the next sentence call me an idiot for saying schools should be trying to teach them the same lessons. 

And how old were you when that happened?  In college? 

High school.

The burden of education is on the student.  You and "Gigs" both sound like a pair of idiots.

No offense.

If they aren't teaching kids these lessons, how are they supposed to learn these things? You see the problem here? 

I'm an idiot for thinking schools should teach more relevant information to kids? 

We obviously aren't going to go anywhere, so let's get back to something we can agree on, Hue Jackson is a terrible leader. 

1 hour ago, JaxBills said:

Simply because it is MY RESPONSIBILITY.  Mine.   Only mine.  Nobody else.  If you are an attentive parent you should know the lack of quality of financial training in schools and parent your kid.  If I send my kid off as an !@#$... That's on me.  I blame nobody. I was taught that, my children are taught that.

It's on us.

Final question I have, if you had a choice between the worst school and the best school to send your kid, which would you pick?

It shouldn't matter, right? As you say, it's all on you, so the school shouldn't matter, right?

It obviously does matter. You can't teach your kid everything. Like it or not, you have the biggest impact, but so does the school they go to, other adults, and their friends. 

21 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

Final question I have, if you had a choice between the worst school and the best school to send your kid, which would you pick?

It shouldn't matter, right? As you say, it's all on you, so the school shouldn't matter, right?

It obviously does matter. You can't teach your kid everything. Like it or not, you have the biggest impact, but so does the school they go to, other adults, and their friends. 

Life isnt a left or right black or white type thing.  It's a big gray area.  I do what I have to and do what I CAN.  you're still trying to push off the responsibility.  I am say the school can suck if YOU as a parent care and interact.  My children will not act like victims.  And i am never going to be the kind of guy to shift blame.  My children are NOT the schools wards.

You really missed my point too.  The school isn't what I care about. it's parenting.  And to do a good job IS REALLY FREAKEN HARD.  Witch is why i believe so many push responsibility to chitty schools.  My high school had a police station in it.  Really.  Stop excuses.

But we digres........   The browns?

Edited by JaxBills

Wow! The Browns coaching staff is a bunch of clowns.  Greg Williams might just be the biggest piece of trash on earth. I don’t know if there is anyone more deserving of a punch in the face. 

27 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Wish the dog Moose would use Greg Williams head as a chew toy.

It would probably give him worms. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Got the talent of an 8 win team, coaching of a 0 win team, hoping somebody blesses Jarvis Landry with a need for knee placement surgery after taking out all ligaments in both knees.  Bless that you SOB

My thoughts exactly 

21 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

Wow! The Browns coaching staff is a bunch of clowns.  Greg Williams might just be the biggest piece of trash on earth. I don’t know if there is anyone more deserving of a punch in the face. 

It would probably give him worms. 

I will be fair to the Browns, Hard Knocks is going to pick the most salacious and buzz worthy soundbites of the many hours they are filming these guys. If you got recorded for 6-8 hours a day doing a high stress job you are going to provide the crew with some soundbites. I do think the Browns coaching staff is a bunch of clowns but the show is designed to play them up more than they are.