Bills are the Boston Celtics of the NFL. And don't sleep on Andre Holmes

6 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

yeah not to be mean but this hasn't exactly been a revelation from the OP haha.

I know this.

I know they're highly respected around here, I am premature but I think they are Championship quality. I don't see that statement too much.

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

So I'm watching week 8 Red Zone replay on NFL Network. It was the Raiders game, at home.  We were definitely the less talented team, but definitely the more prepared and focused as far as the fundamentals of the game.

Hausch Money causing a fumble for example,shows me that coaching smartly instilled and took time on the D and ST forcing fumbles,it's a game changing play after all  , tackling and assignments clearly being better executed better by Buffalo.

The details, intangibles and team work were impeccable by Buffalo against superior talent and they get a comfortable Win.

A limited Tyrod is throwing to Zay, Matthews And Andre Holmes (who got his 3rd TD and made a cpl impressive catches) , who I still have hopes could be effective , did he get injured at some point? He has potential for real.  

Besides Shady , who imo is the best player on the field, period, we were outmatched but we're coached right and play as one, it was too easy of a Win.

Anyway, to me , coaching clearly won this game comfortably and New Era is officially back as one of the tougher stadiums to win in.

Just like Boston, with perceived limited talent, they are using superior coaching , like they did all year, to win the majority of games, focusing on the basics and intagibles of the game, something McD preaches consistently and I love it.

Overall imo we improved from last year , besides OL , we're better or equal at every other group and we still have the X Factor on the sideline, a guy I feel will be around a Long Long time. So don't be surprised if we improve on our record , despite the mainly low expectations from most of the football community. AJ or if Allen beats him out, will be as good or better at QB. 

I like McD's style and ability to motivate, and most times put his players in position to be successful.  However, I think the talent disparity you mention in that game is not as great as you think it was.  Name recognition doesn't make another team vastly superior.  Play does.  The Raider hadn't played that well all season leading into that game, including Carr and Cooper.  

While the  Bills don't have many household names they do have good players.  McD didn't throw a pass, catch a ball or make a tackle.   Not having household names does not  make them outmatched per se.  Those catches Holmes made in that Raider game were top level, professional catches.  Tyrod put those passes in the perfect spots. The defense executed assignments well.  

McD deserves a lot of credit, but so do the names and no names who are actually on the field.  They are a gritty bunch of dudes.  What McD does well is insist on preparation and consistency and getting Beane to bring in players who have displayed those traits previously.

So the Bills are really the Braves? I’m so confused, didn’t ownership of Buffalo Braves and Boston Celtics trade franchises and multiple players? Thus making the Celtics the Braves?

Edited by chris heff

22 minutes ago, chris heff said:

So the Bills are really the Braves? I’m so confused, didn’t ownership of Buffalo Braves and Boston Celtics trade franchises and multiple players? Thus making the Celtics the Braves?

The Braves are actually now the Clippers. But the Braves owner originally swapped franchises with the Celtics owner at the time. The Celtics owner moved them to San Diego and then later to LA. 

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Before this year, with no Kyrie, Hayward, if u we're to say Boston would be in Finals, that'd sound crazy. 

Talented,yes but the coaching and discipline instilled is the key to their success.

Before the year nobody even knew of Rozier,Brown and Tatum being studs. Their team first mentality was instilled since off-season and is paying off big right now

Tatum was the 3rd overall pick last year... What the hell are you talking about? Just because you just started watching basketball didn't mean everyone just started.

I'm generally not a fan of cross sports analogies, I find them to take a lot of stretching and twisting to make them of any value. I do see what you're going for here, but I disagree.

Also the raiders sucked, not sure what you are going on about talent for.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Just as impressive as Stevens is Danny Ainge as GM. If he calls you, don’t answer. You won’t win the that trade. 

And yet, so many Celtics fans dog him as a GM.  

One thing is for sure though, after this playoff run, the Celtics are going to have to let somebody go...they won't be able to pay them all.  Rozier is earning a huge contract somewhere...love these Celtics...

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Our O-line was problematic last year already, we lose 3 starters who all happen to be our best players on the unit, we have an even worse WR corps, we have the least experienced QB group in the league throwing to them, and from this draft only a handful of picks will make the roster. 

The defense improved on paper, but an injury or 2 could easily derail the entire thing. Same goes for most positions on this roster. We have almost no depth whatsoever. And man, heaven help us if Benjamin goes down (like he's known to do)...Our WR's would be (currently on roster)-

- Quan Bray

- Kaelin Clay

- Malachi Dupre

- Andre Holmes

- Zay Jones

- Jermey Kerley

- Ray-Ray McCloud

- Austin Proehl

- Brandon Reilly

- Rod Streater

That group is AWFUL. 

Maybe in 2-3 more years with more drafts under our belt we'll be comparable to the Celtics, but this year? This is the true year 1 of McDermott's tenure.

wow....well just come back after next year's draft and maybe you could possibly become a fan of this team  yo.

3 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Tatum was the 3rd overall pick last year... What the hell are you talking about? Just because you just started watching basketball didn't mean everyone just started.

I'm generally not a fan of cross sports analogies, I find them to take a lot of stretching and twisting to make them of any value. I do see what you're going for here, but I disagree.

Dude, I played since I'm 10 and been a loyal Knock fan since Starks and Ewing.

Draft picks in the NBA are nowhere near as valuable than an NFL draft pick.

Tatum was no lock to pan out. 

3 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The Raiders ,on paper were SB contenders ,in the off-season.

Remember, the prior year they won 12-13? Carr got hurt. They are very talented:!

They were a popular pick to reach the SB. They have a nice collection of talent,I love this Team as a whole.

7 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

i too could sleep on Holmes.

the OPs enthusiasm for Coaching is appreciated

I'm just appreciative we got quality and the same vision at GM and HC. 

I wasn't super fond of the hires. After one year, like I said, I feel we struck gold. Both got football running through their veins and are meant to be doing what they're doing... 

28 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Dude, I played since I'm 10 and been a loyal Knock fan since Starks and Ewing.

Draft picks in the NBA are nowhere near as valuable than an NFL draft pick.

Tatum was no lock to pan out. 

The Raiders ,on paper were SB contenders ,in the off-season.

Remember, the prior year they won 12-13? Carr got hurt. They are very talented:!

They were a popular pick to reach the SB. They have a nice collection of talent,I love this Team as a whole.

I'm just appreciative we got quality and the same vision at GM and HC. 

I wasn't super fond of the hires. After one year, like I said, I feel we struck gold. Both got football running through their veins and are meant to be doing what they're doing... 

Don't care if you played, and don't care that you can name some guys for a franchise that has been relevant since those guys played.

Last years NBA draft was considered to be loaded at the top. Tatum was a one and done at Duke. He was ranked 3rd in his HS class.

He wasn't a nobody.

And yes I remember the Raiders 12 win season where most of the games were decided by one possession with an awful defense. They aren't loaded with talent, and they aren't an exceptional team. Maybe you do pay attention to these sports, just not to the details.

Tatum came out of no where... lol But whatever, if that's the point you want to take, by all means go for it. Again, hate cross sports comparison, but Beane has nothing on Ainge. Why are you even trying to make this point? I don't understand it. You must listen to a lot of traditional sports talk radio. While you're at it, what's your all time starting 5?

I'll hang up and listen..

Edited by Ol Dirty B

55 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Don't care if you played, and don't care that you can name some guys for a franchise that has been relevant since those guys played.

Last years NBA draft was considered to be loaded at the top. Tatum was a one and done at Duke. He was ranked 3rd in his HS class.

He wasn't a nobody.

And yes I remember the Raiders 12 win season where most of the games were decided by one possession with an awful defense. They aren't loaded with talent, and they aren't an exceptional team. Maybe you do pay attention to these sports, just not to the details.

Tatum came out of no where... lol But whatever, if that's the point you want to take, by all means go for it. Again, hate cross sports comparison, but Beane has nothing on Ainge. Why are you even trying to make this point? I don't understand it. You must listen to a lot of traditional sports talk radio. While you're at it, what's your all time starting 5?

I'll hang up and listen..

I know he was highly respected. But he's a rookie and exceeded expectations. I attribute alot of their success to their elite staff.

I feel like Buffalo has an elite staff and can exceed expectations.

1. Magic

2. Jordan

3. LeBron

4. Duncan

5 Shaq

You're not beating that team!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Maybe in 2-3 more years with more drafts under our belt we'll be comparable to the Celtics, but this year? This is the true year 1 of McDermott's tenure.

That's right, the team which made the playoffs was Rex's team.

13 hours ago, chris heff said:

Bills have won two championships. 

Not since the merger or in the NFL as it exists today.

But yes of course, we do have those 2 AFL championships to be proud of.

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Not since the merger or in the NFL as it exists today.

But yes of course, we do have those 2 AFL championships to be proud of.

How many championships have Celtics won since merger with ABA?

Is Stevens going to coach us as well? Because honestly, at this point he might be one of the best bench bosses in a of major sports.

As far as Holmes, I'll not only sleep, I'll hibernate on him

Edited by BillsFan17

18 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Brad Stevens is a witch. Beane is a witch. OP is onto something. 

This is the point.

And it's a point that I think many people miss.  Coaching is really important.  In football, it is more important than anything else, including total team talent, except for the QB.  

Did you see Al Horford after the game on Saturday?  He was asked about the in-bounds play that got Horford a layup late in the game.   The first words out of his mouth were "Brad Stevens is a genius."   

In football, the differences between teams in total team talent (other than QB) are minimal.     Except for the occasional horrible team or two, my team's total talent is always pretty close to your team's talent.  The draft, free agency and the salary cap make that happen.   Are there some differences?  Sure.   And do those differences make a difference in games?  Yes.   But coaching makes a bigger difference.  Belichick doesn't have better talent than everyone else, year after year.   Andy Reid doesn't.   

It's too early to tell about McDermott, but his first season in Buffalo certainly was encouraging.   This season is a big test for him.   Many of his players are returning and know the system.   He's gotten rid of the guys he thinks didn't fit.   He's added players he thinks do fit.   As he's said, they aren't done.   He needs 2019 to add more rookies and free agents, but then he'll have a roster full of the kind of guys he wants.   This season, he's still working with less than he wants.   If he's a great coach, the Bills will win 2018 like they did in 2017, by being really well prepared and doing the little things right.  

33 minutes ago, chris heff said:

How many championships have Celtics won since merger with ABA?

I think they've won three.   Merger was about 35-40 years ago.   

I first learned the lesson about the importance of coaching 30 years ago, when Jim Calhoun came to UConn.   Prior to Calhoun's arrival, UConn was pretty bad, pretty consistently.   I went to a game in Calhoun's first season.   The opponent pressed, and UConn broke it easily.   That's when I knew things were going to be different.   Those players, more or less the same players that had been there the year before, were prepared for whatever came.   Calhoun got them ready.   It wasn't about talent.  It was about coaching.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Well I see your point clearly, but based on their performance in year one , I can see 9-10 wins , next year we'll be legit contenders but I think we did good this off-season and have more depth than we get credit for.

Defense- DL- loses Zero impact players.  Add 3 potential impact players, imo , in Murphy, the rookie and Star (his stats won't show his impact on this scheme). 

LB - Loses One impact player. Adds 1 impact player. If Available, Edmunds is going to make Preston look like an amateur. Hopefully Milano and Vallejo progress.

DB - Loses One impact player. Adds 2 impact players. Davis is a perfect fit. Heady, aggressive , pro bowl corner in a simple scheme, don't be surprised to see a Pro Bowl Davis. Gaines is just not available enough. And one of Bush (underrated signing) and one of the two rookies can definitely have impacts.

We had injuries last year, they said the same negative comments. The team overcame it.

I'll do the offense later but depth is improved over last year on a 9 win team , on Defense at least.

As far as WR, we lost zero impact guys imo. Thompson was very unreliable.

If KB is healthy, that instantly bolsters the WR corps big time. RB is improved. OL is worrisome but there's a nice mix of vets and younger guys, hopefully they get as a unit.

Things overall look better than last year and we won 9. I don't think we should lower our expectations based on the same arguments we were making last Off Season!!

This staff is the real deal.

Agree with this and not to nit pick but I think Thompson was great last year.  Nobody expected anything from him and some of his catches single-handedly kept us in games.  I know the Colts game and I remember a 3rd or 4th and 20 I thought he busted for a first down.