Every Josh Allen TD pass in 2016/2017

16 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Agreed, plus another offseason will help to build the offense around him more.

Honestly, he is the opposite of Tyrod.  I think with a solid defense and a QB that can hit quick home runs while still relying on a solid run game...that'd be tough to beat.  

Yes, hopefully Allen can make teams pay for having 8 men in the box trying to stop McCoy.

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

That's one of the biggest weaknesses I've noticed so far (I've watched 18 of his 25 games so far) - he tends to leaves the pocket too soon. Although not always, so he shows that he's capable of buying time in the pocket and making progressions. Just needs to do that more consistently.

Can David Culley and Brian Daboll teach this kid to be a technician? To consistently manage a game? That's the biggest question.

Here's a good example of Allen fighting his instinct to run away. Instead, he stays in the pocket, and (with proper footwork and mechanics) he's able to make a perfect throw over the middle for the first down.

2:32:07

18 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah this is something I noticed when I rewatched some of his game film after we drafted him. I didn't methodically chart his throws so maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed to me like his worst throws came early in the game. He would sometimes get on hot streaks in the 2nd half where throw after throw was on the money. If he can channel that in the NFL he will be very successful. Some QBs have to get in a rhythm and then they become unstoppable. That's how Cam Newton is, it's just lately he hasn't found that rhythm often enough.

same thing in the senior bowl

4 hours ago, eball said:

I dunno, boys...when the primary colors are piss yellow and poop brown I've got to question anyone who says those look good.

The colors on their own are mundane. Put together they go well. Kinda like Shepard’s Pie. And I enjoy a nice Shep Pie on a Sunday evening.

19 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

His footwork is really bad.  I can see why people talk about that so much and how he relies on pure arm strength to bail himself out of trouble.  He loves to throw off the wrong foot.

You are just a one big ray of sunshine are you? 

I bet if you ever won the lottery the first thing out of your mouth would be bitching about all the taxes you’d have to pay !!!

55 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

That's what I see too.  

Throwing across his body on the run at high velocity,

Good percentage of Allens TD's thrown while under pressure/scrambling reminiscent of Big Ben.

MERCY

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. He's just inconsistent not matter what the circumstances are. This was clearly demonstrated in the offseason practices as he completely missed a target net from 10 yards away, but then nailed the goal post in one shot from 35 yards away. I think we just have to accept that this is the nature of the beast. We're gonna see amazing one-in-375 million throws, but also amazingly bad throws. He might lead the league in TDs and INTs at the same time.

Remember a guy named Peyton who lead the league in INT.  :)

And I still disagree.  I had issues sailing passes and stuff when I was young and when o got a coach who focused on the basics...my accuracy improved dramatically.  

20 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

He has that similar trait to Tyrod except he is willing to throw the ball downfield more than Tyrod in those situations.  Allen doesn't look to escape the pocket to dump the ball down, he is looking for chunks.

10 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Remember a guy named Peyton who lead the league in INT.  :)

And I still disagree.  I had issues sailing passes and stuff when I was young and when o got a coach who focused on the basics...my accuracy improved dramatically.  

J K was not shy when it came to fitting footballs into small windows because he could,  throw a couple INT's, come back with 3 TD's

D did their job...

...Loved it...

Edited by Figster

So regarding more "highlights."  Here are just a few of his senior bowl highlights, which I think are significant because of the caliber of players he's both playing with and against:

I think once you get past the first couple plays where he scrambles and get to the 30 second mark of the video, his passes really jump out and demonstrate he's more than just a strong armed big kid...

At that 30 second mark, Allen shows great pocket presence along with strength as he steps up in the pocket after shedding a tackler and despite that tackler getting a good hand on him and a relatively open field in front of him to gain a few yards, Allen calmly throws the ball to a WR running across the middle of the field 15-20 yards away while almost simultaneously shedding the tackler.

On his 1st TD pass.  He demonstrates great touch and pinpoint accuracy on a pass that travels probably 30 yards in the air... no hesitation on his part throwing to a player who's pretty well covered, either.  His 2nd TD pass showed great touch, too, though the guy was more open.

In fact, it was his touch on many of his passes in the Senior bowl that impressed me.  In the highlights of the OP of all the TDs, a lot of those passes were "WOW" throws, many in terms of arm strength (and accuracy), but one of the things we've been hearing so much in terms of criticism is his ability to adjust ball speed.  But the last TD throw in the highlights showed great touch and at the Senior Bowl I think you saw it even more.

Getting excited about what the kid could be  :thumbsup:

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I liked Tyrod but he just couldn't utilize some of the weapons on our roster.  For instance, He struggled with throwing the ball to Benjamin and Jones.  Hoping he gets a chance with Cleveland, he can give them a couple of wins and maybe take them to their first playoff in a while.  That's my hope.  I really wish the kid the best.  That being said, I have never had an excitement for a Buffalo QB the way I'm excited about Allen.  His potential is Rodgers.  I know we've had trouble finding a QB using potential as the main reason but this is a different regime and a different offense.  We have a redzone target in Benjamin, when healthy is one of the biggest mismatches in the league.  Allen is not like Tyrod, he is more willing to throw the ball deep down the field and throw it up to Benjamin.  Tyrod seemed to not take advantage of that mismatch.  I know Benjamin was a bit slow due to injury but he was targeted far too few  times.  Allen will throw the ball up to Benjamin, he's wants the home run plays and the big chunk plays.  I love that mentality.  Here's to Allen becoming the next great Buffalo QB!

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I liked Tyrod but he just couldn't utilize some of the weapons on our roster.  For instance, He struggled with throwing the ball to Benjamin and Jones.  Hoping he gets a chance with Cleveland, he can give them a couple of wins and maybe take them to their first playoff in a while.  That's my hope.  I really wish the kid the best.  That being said, I have never had an excitement for a Buffalo QB the way I'm excited about Allen.  His potential is Rodgers.  I know we've had trouble finding a QB using potential as the main reason but this is a different regime and a different offense.  We have a redzone target in Benjamin, when healthy is one of the biggest mismatches in the league.  Allen is not like Tyrod, he is more willing to throw the ball deep down the field and throw it up to Benjamin.  Tyrod seemed to not take advantage of that mismatch.  I know Benjamin was a bit slow due to injury but he was targeted far too few  times.  Allen will throw the ball up to Benjamin, he's wants the home run plays and the big chunk plays.  I love that mentality.  Here's to Allen becoming the next great Buffalo QB!

Rodgers was extremely accurate. I was at many Cal practices and it was amazing to watch. Go watch the Cal v USC game when he completed like 20 straight oasses. This is not Allen.

In terms of throwing downfield, I included the Tyrod videos at V Tech to show how willing he is throw downfield. He did so in college and early on with the bills. 

For the record Tyrod had limited weapons. KB was useless with his injuries. Jones was a huge disappointment. 

17 hours ago, ngbills said:

Rodgers was extremely accurate. I was at many Cal practices and it was amazing to watch. Go watch the Cal v USC game when he completed like 20 straight oasses. This is not Allen.

In terms of throwing downfield, I included the Tyrod videos at V Tech to show how willing he is throw downfield. He did so in college and early on with the bills. 

For the record Tyrod had limited weapons. KB was useless with his injuries. Jones was a huge disappointment. 

These are facts everyone forgets. When he had Sammy and at least Goodwin on the field, he was looking for the chunk play downfiled. KB isnt burning anyone with his speed and Zay Jones had a bad rookie season. Either way we need tp get JA the right weopons for him to succeed.  Our WR room is still meh. We still have no #1 WR

18 hours ago, ngbills said:

You must have made a lot of money with your scouting skill back then.

What NFL scouts told the Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn before the draft about quarterback Aaron Rodgers:

Rich Snead, Tennessee: "He had to go to a JC because no one would recruit him because they said he was too small. He's been busting his (expletive) his whole life to get to this point. I just don't know how much more he has to give."

AFC scout: "I think he has some upside although there are some things that are just ordinary about him."

NFC scout: "I think he has a good chance of being a bust. Just like every other Tedford-coached quarterback. Thing I struggle with him is he gets sacked a lot. He doesn't have great ability to change the release of the football. He's mechanically very rigid. Brett Favre can change his release point and find different windows. There will be more growing pains with Alex Smith but in the end he has a much better chance to be much better."

NFC scout: "The guys that Tedford has had, what have they developed into? They're too well-schooled. So mechanical. So robotic. I don't know if they become good pro players. I think Rodgers is in that same mold."

AFC scout: "I don't like him. He's a clone of Harrington and Boller. They all throw the same way. What have those guys done? Nothing. If you take him in the second round, fine. Heady guy. They do a marvelous job of coaching quarterbacks there. I don't think he's as good as the top quarterbacks coming out last year."

AFC scout: "I don't think he's in the class of the quarterbacks that came out last year. Strong arm. Pretty good athlete. Still has some holes in his game."

AFC scout: "He's a system quarterback. 3-, 5-, 7-step guy. Can't create on his own. Panics under pressure. Gets flustered easy. I don't think there's a quarterback in the draft worthy of a first-round pick. I'm dead serious. None of them are worth it."

NFC scout: "He fit right into the Cal system. He probably executed that as well as anybody. He doesn't have as strong an arm as Boller but can make the same reads and play the scheme as well as Boller did."

Edited by Wayne Arnold