Gas Prices Are Rising

5 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

And while I think it's great that you're helping the environment (to some degree, possibly) that doesn't mean that everyone else should have to pay for the maintenance costs of the roadways while you get a break; and while I agree with you about big brother tracking your mileage, we need to find another way to fund our highway departments, especially as fuel efficiency and alternative fuel sources grow in popularity and carve away the existing tax base.

As California is finding out now

5 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Over time, traffic wears down the roads and supporting infrastructure (along with weather and other factors not necessarily related to motorists).  You and the Cadillac driver in question do roughly the same amount of damage, assuming the same amount of use.

The issue is that under the current funding mechanism, you are largely getting a free ride on the infrastructure maintenance to the detriment of those individuals who aren't driving electric/hybrids.  And while you may be paying more for your car in some instances (you wouldn't be paying more than I am looking to for the 1964 Lincoln Continental I'm on the market for, for instance) that cost is rather irrelevant to the cost of upkeep for the roads, because those dollars go to shareholders of Tesla (used for purposes of discussion), and not to the public coffers.

And while I think it's great that you're helping the environment (to some degree, possibly) that doesn't mean that everyone else should have to pay for the maintenance costs of the roadways while you get a break; and while I agree with you about big brother tracking your mileage, we need to find another way to fund our highway departments, especially as fuel efficiency and alternative fuel sources grow in popularity and carve away the existing tax base.

I also think that a large part of the problem is the efficiency with which our roads are maintained (generally speaking).  Many DOTs don't staff/manage their staffs properly.  Instead of putting the work in to develop schedules that make sense, they just keep everyone on the same schedules and let overtime costs soar.

Using our beloved northeast as an example, we're paying plow truck drivers double time to run the plow on practically bare roads - completely !@#$ing them up.  Then paying them more OT to "fix" the damage they, themselves caused.  Don't even get me started on the stretch of lawn I need to replace every !@#$ing spring.

Furthermore ... how about finding a better way to "fix" damaged roads.  They're putting band-aids on severed limbs.  That's not cost effective.

Instead of targeting motorists, how about finding efficiencies, managing properly and find ways to achieve longer-term fixes, instead of fixing the same **** year after year.

14 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

How?

No emissions.

We need to get rid of cows, next.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I also think that a large part of the problem is the efficiency with which our roads are maintained (generally speaking).  Many DOTs don't staff/manage their staffs properly.  Instead of putting the work in to develop schedules that make sense, they just keep everyone on the same schedules and let overtime costs soar.

Using our beloved northeast as an example, we're paying plow truck drivers double time to run the plow on practically bare roads - completely !@#$ing them up.  Then paying them more OT to "fix" the damage they, themselves caused.  Don't even get me started on the stretch of lawn I need to replace every !@#$ing spring.

Furthermore ... how about finding a better way to "fix" damaged roads.  They're putting band-aids on severed limbs.  That's not cost effective.

Instead of targeting motorists, how about finding efficiencies, managing properly and find ways to achieve longer-term fixes, instead of fixing the same **** year after year.

You know we're talking about government boondoggles and unions negotiating protections for labor here, right?

And while I am in 100% agreement with you in demanding that government become more efficient, and do more with less; I'm rather surprised (pleasantly) to find you as an ally here, and hope that you'll take this exact same view and impose it on education, social programs, etc.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Deregulation in action baby. 

Feel that pump pain, oh ya. 

Wow, this really validates all the claims posters make about you. Tibs, please choose a better way to attack the right. One in which you have some small clue what you are talking about. 

Just now, Paulus said:

Wow, this really validates all the claims posters make about you. Tibs, please choose a better way to attack the right. One in which you have some small clue what you are talking about. 

Again, for those of you just catching up, Tibs doesn't have a clue because he is paid to post here. 

Whether he signs in as tibs, gator or baskin, this is someone who cruises around political websites and comments sections of articles, posting what he's told to post, all with an eye on earning enough money to buy that Land Rover.

You know the guy who shows up in comments sections with "I just paid cash for a Land Rover and earned $7,000 this week! Ask me how!"?

That's Tibs. Earning a few bucks on the internet. Put him on ignore and do you part to clean up the pollutants.

39 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

You know we're talking about government boondoggles and unions negotiating protections for labor here, right?

And while I am in 100% agreement with you in demanding that government become more efficient, and do more with less; I'm rather surprised (pleasantly) to find you as an ally here, and hope that you'll take this exact same view and impose it on education, social programs, etc.

Absolutely.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

What damage does a rubber tire do to a paved road?  That's a serious question.

And why wouldn't I pay the same as someone driving a 71 Cadillac?  That doesn't/wouldn't upset me.

But if I'm an electric/hybrid car owner, I'm not down with big brother monitoring my mileage or taxing me based upon said mileage.  People buying those cars are already spending more money than similar model gasoline-powered vehicles; and they're helping the environment.

As a new CMax Energi owner i agree with this to a point. I'm already paying higher tag fees because it is an electric hybrid to help make up to the state for the loss in fuel tax. Ironic that we bought it, for the wife, to save on gas, but in the long run it probably won't save us any money at all. Not sure what it's going to cost to charge the 7 kw battery yet, but I'm guessing that 15 - 20 miles of electric, before the hybrid kicks in, is probably still going to cost a good bit of electricity. The wife can probably do all her travelling for the most part on that charge. If I take it to work, 23 miles each way, but a free charging station at work to top it off again so in theory, I could manage only about 6 miles a day in Hybrid mode which is supposed to be about 43 mpg. 

Hmmm..... I think i just talked myself into driving it to work and leaving the wife the 25 mpg Fusion. :-) 

47 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Again, for those of you just catching up, Tibs doesn't have a clue because he is paid to post here. 

Whether he signs in as tibs, gator or baskin, this is someone who cruises around political websites and comments sections of articles, posting what he's told to post, all with an eye on earning enough money to buy that Land Rover.

You know the guy who shows up in comments sections with "I just paid cash for a Land Rover and earned $7,000 this week! Ask me how!"?

That's Tibs. Earning a few bucks on the internet. Put him on ignore and do you part to clean up the pollutants.

I beat this punk down so many times he put me on ignore and then sits and talks about me. A true coward. 

POS poster he is. 

2 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

I find it hard to believe, but you might be onto something there. 

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

No emissions.

If you think Hybrid's produce no emissions you are fooling yourself.  But for devils advocate

What is more friendly to the environment?

A Encouraging motorists to keep their current higher emissions vehicles

B Encouraging motorists to buy Hybrid cars with all the steel, aluminum, plastic, and petroleum based products that goes into the body and power train.  Not to mention the chemicals needed to produce battery packs that have to be replaced every 5-10 years

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

If you think Hybrid's produce no emissions you are fooling yourself.  But for devils advocate

What is more friendly to the environment?

A Encouraging motorists to keep their current higher emissions vehicles

B Encouraging motorists to buy Hybrid cars with all the steel, aluminum, plastic, and petroleum based products that goes into the body and power train.  Not to mention the chemicals needed to produce battery packs that have to be replaced every 5-10 years

And the mining for the nickel needed for the batteries.

Ever see how nickel mining is done?  Environmentally horrible.  

16 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Check the seat cushions on your Prius---do your part!

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I'll just go ahead and stop you right there.

If the average environmentally focused liberal understood supply chains or operational opportunity cost they wouldn't be an environmentally focused liberal.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

This sounds more and more like Enron Part II:

He's been a darling of the media and government bureaucracy for a long time now but Tesla is an investment I would never make. It all sounds good, but I don't think Tesla has yet had a profitable quarter in their history