Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

15 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am truly sorry that Tyrod did not leave a flower on the pillow when he left in the middle of the night......he should have been more considerate to you.

He folded when needed in 15, 16, and 17. 

This is is why Josh Allen is here 

No reason to sugarcoat that ?

Edited by Teddy KGB

4 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I'd honestly be very surprised if Mayfield didnt win the job in pre season, ala Wilson over Flynn.

Sounds like a lesson learned from the DeShone Kizer debacle.

Hue Jackson commits to Tyrod Taylor as Browns' starter after Baker Mayfield impresses

This weekend belonged to Baker Mayfield, who made his debut as the Browns' new franchise quarterback at rookie minicamp, but the 2018 season still belongs to Tyrod Taylor. On Friday, after Mayfield impressed at his first NFL practice, Browns coach Hue Jackson reemphasized that Taylor will remain the Browns' starter -- no matter what.

"I'm not going to back off of this," Jackson said, per Cleveland.com. "We can keep writing this narrative, Tyrod Taylor's the starting quarterback of this football team, and that won't change."

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hue Jackson commits to Tyrod Taylor as Browns' starter after Baker Mayfield impresses

This weekend belonged to Baker Mayfield, who made his debut as the Browns' new franchise quarterback at rookie minicamp, but the 2018 season still belongs to Tyrod Taylor. On Friday, after Mayfield impressed at his first NFL practice, Browns coach Hue Jackson reemphasized that Taylor will remain the Browns' starter -- no matter what.

"I'm not going to back off of this," Jackson said, per Cleveland.com. "We can keep writing this narrative, Tyrod Taylor's the starting quarterback of this football team, and that won't change."

1-31 lol       

Without mentioning arm strength someone tell me why Allen is so much better than McCarron.  I'm not saying AJ is better I just find it fascination that this thread is full of Taylor haters, people saying McCarron isn't going to be any good, yet outside of having "tremendous arm strength" there is not any more on film or paper to like about Allen then there is McCarron.  Matter of fact, on paper and on the field in college, McCarron probably has done more.  So then we have to talk development.  Who here in Buffalo is going to create the "franchise" QB that we just traded a first and two second round picks to land?  To address the thread topic I am fine with starting him day one or letting him sit and learn but it really doesn't matter either way if there is no veteran QB showing him the ropes or some Andy Reid like coach calling the plays and explaining the game to him. 

Edited by Maine-iac
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not trying to be a jerk, you can show me all the articles you want, but there is no certainties in professional sports.

I have heard guarantees on a variety of fronts that held little water in the following days. 

I agree with Beans mentality on this, you have 52 other guys in that locker room, and to not put the QB on the field who gives them the best chance to win isnt right.

Moreover, Kizer has absolutely zero to do with this. Almost absolutely zero. Kizer wasn't the pick of this new regime, nor did he have the weapons that Clevelend had acquired this off season, no was Kizer a first overall pick, etc. 

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

Not trying to be a jerk, you can show me all the articles you want, but there is no certainties in professional sports.

I have heard guarantees on a variety of fronts that held little water in the following days. 

I agree with Beans mentality on this, you have 52 other guys in that locker room, and to not put the QB on the field who gives them the best chance to win isnt right.

Moreover, Kizer has absolutely zero to do with this. Almost absolutely zero. Kizer wasn't the pick of this new regime, nor did he have the weapons that Clevelend had acquired this off season, no was Kizer a first overall pick, etc. 

Hue was the coach last season who went back and forth on Kizer, so yes it is related. 

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hue was the coach last season who went back and forth on Kizer, so yes it is related. 

No it's not the circumstances are vastly different. Especially considering the word is the GM even his the pick from the staff, indicating exactly how much they care about Hue's opinion. If this front office sees Mayfield pulling ahead of Taylor, I cant see how they dont force Hue's hand. 

Again, could be totally wrong and Tyrod starts, but I'm basing this off of seeing Tyrod for three years and expecting a first overall pick to handily beat him out.

All-in-all the kizer situation has little to no parallels

There's been a lot of discussion about Peterman's performance in LA, and how that may, or may not have affected him. That half in which he played has been accurately described as "historically bad football." I have to wonder how that wouldn't affect his confidence going forward? Sure, McD, and Peterman, etc will all talk about how resilient, and "mentally tough" he is. But, if his brain works, the fact that he set a record for bad football will always be there. 

Don't start Allen too early. I don't care how "mentally tough" he is. "Trentative" Edwards spent so much time running for his life behind a crappy O-line that he became Captain Checkdown. We've invested a lot in Allen. We should protect that investment.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, BillsFan17 said:

No it's not the circumstances are vastly different. Especially considering the word is the GM even his the pick from the staff, indicating exactly how much they care about Hue's opinion. If this front office sees Mayfield pulling ahead of Taylor, I cant see how they dont force Hue's hand. 

Again, could be totally wrong and Tyrod starts, but I'm basing this off of seeing Tyrod for three years and expecting a first overall pick to handily beat him out.

All-in-all the kizer situation has little to no parallels

We'll see if you or Hue is right.  I'm gonna go with the HC who determines the lineup. 

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Do you suspect he has much of a chance showing he's much better than Allen, if at all?

I figure the odds be 50 50.

I think AJ actually may be good. Have to wait til the games start to know for sure. But I do think he has the tools and the talent and the drive to succeed.

15 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I figure the odds be 50 50.

I think AJ actually may be good. Have to wait til the games start to know for sure. But I do think he has the tools and the talent and the drive to succeed.

I won't be upset if McCarron starts, I just think his likelihood of starting depends more on Allen losing the job than on McCarron winning it.

If the difference between McCarron and Allen is negligible, with McCarron being even slightly ahead, I think Allen will start for the sake of that invaluable on-field learning.

If Allen continues the reported trajectory he's been on since his last game at Wyoming with his improvements on mechanics and footwork--which have been considered his biggest weakness--then I think Allen will be a lot further along than all those folks saying he needed to sit a full year were saying and would become the favorite to win the starting job.

I rescind my argument that Allen should start week 1 if this apparent repair of his mechanics and footwork doesn't stick... but he and Palmer and others seem to believe he's fixed them or is in the process of fixing them with continued reps for muscle memory's sake.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

18 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's the least likely to start and the guy who might not make the final 53. 

Obviously he's least likely.   But I'm predicting he'll have a better camp than McCarron and Allen won't get thrown to the wolves until we see our O-line perform in a real game.  

McD threw a rookie to the wolves last year on probably our worst day in pass protection of the year.   I think he'll be hesitant to do so again, especially considering the likelihood of very little (if any) chemistry or experience with the guy playing next to you on the offensive line.   Week 9 for Allen.  Don't rush the kid. 

Just now, Da webster guy said:

Obviously he's least likely.   But I'm predicting he'll have a better camp than McCarron and Allen won't get thrown to the wolves until we see our O-line perform in a real game.  

McD threw a rookie to the wolves last year on probably our worst day in pass protection of the year.   I think he'll be hesitant to do so again, especially considering the likelihood of very little (if any) chemistry or experience with the guy playing next to you on the offensive line.   Week 9 for Allen.  Don't rush the kid. 

I'm all for letting his play dictate when he starts whenever that might be. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Rookie? He played three years in the USFL before his first snap in the NFL. :lol:

I'm amazed at the cookie-cutter mentality when it comes to players. Talent need to be developed and managed to get the most out of it.

Thankfully I have faith in McDermott and Dabol doing what's best for Allen. Unlike previous Bills regimes, they will not be pressured by fans or media.

Yeah, he played in the second class USFL, not much better than NCAA. He still had to learn the game as a pro in the NFL and was only 6-10 in his first year.

2 hours ago, mileena said:

Yeah, he played in the second class USFL, not much better than NCAA. He still had to learn the game as a pro in the NFL and was only 6-10 in his first year.

I'm guessing you aren't old enough to remember the USFL.  You're impression of it couldn't be more off base.  Either way, Jim Kelly had 3 years of pro ball experience before he stepped onto the field in Buffalo. Keep swingin' though.