Giants didn’t even listen to offers

Virgil

This honestly makes me feel better.  I still don’t like giving up our 2nds in the trade up, but it means Mayfield and Darnold were never options.  And, I trust Beane if he says Allen was better than Rosen. 

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Im not a fan of drafting RBs that high but its just my opinion.  Reggie Bush was a phenomenon in college and had a lackluster career...i say this because all these experts never talk about the fact that RBs can be busts as well.  

Edited by Skins Malone
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

This honestly makes me feel better.  I still don’t like giving up our 2nds in the trade up, but it means Mayfield and Darnold were never options.  And, I trust Beane if he says Allen was better than Rosen. 

That's ridiculous by Gettleman.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

That's ridiculous by Gettleman.

Idk about that.  If the Giants really wanted Barkley all along why wouldnt they just draft him.  Moving down isnt a proven key to success.  Would i have listened..ABSOLUTELY.  but im posting on a message board im not a GM.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Skins Malone said:

Idk about that.  If the Giants really wanted Barkley all along why wouldnt they just draft him.  Moving down isnt a proven key to success.  Would i have listened..ABSOLUTELY.  but im posting on a message board im not a GM.

Yeah I think it’s more about giving it consideration. Need to look at all options not get stuck on only one possibility. If you decide you still want Barkley instead ,so be it. Especially with the QBs this year, the offers were going to be heavy. 

Im personally glad he didn’t because I think Beane would have given up a lot more to go to 2.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah I think it’s more about giving it consideration. Need to look at all options not get stuck on only one possibility. If you decide you still want Barkley instead ,so be it. Especially with the QBs this year, the offers were going to be heavy. 

I agree.  At least should have been considered.  But if thats your player you think can improve your team..just get him.

I thought that if the Giants take a RB with the second pick, I'd consider firing Gettleman if I was the Mara's.  I believe his days as GM are numbered; when they have no plan to succeed Eli and Barkley isn't making as much of a difference as they hoped he would, Gettleman should start to sweat.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don't get why it's "embarrassing" or "arrogant".  It's his pick!  Once he knows that they player they want and have ranked that high is there, why should he listen to offers?  If he already knows he's not gonna accept them, that's just wasting everyone's time.

"No" is a complete sentence.  Why do people have trouble with that thought?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I said as far back as January..... Gettleman was absolutely zeroed in on Saquon Barkley. I don't think he was ever interested in Darnold.... they let that be out there because they thought he would be gone #1 and they could say "we were never in a position to get him." They were going Barkley every single day of this process. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't get why it's "embarrassing" or "arrogant".  It's his pick!  Once he knows that they player they want and have ranked that high is there, why should he listen to offers?  If he already knows he's not gonna accept them, that's just wasting everyone's time.

"No" is a complete sentence.  Why do people have trouble with that thought?

Because some fans will never be happy.

6 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I thought that if the Giants take a RB with the second pick, I'd consider firing Gettleman if I was the Mara's.  I believe his days as GM are numbered; when they have no plan to succeed Eli and Barkley isn't making as much of a difference as they hoped he would, Gettleman should start to sweat.

Man they still have Davis Webb that they drafted in the 3rd last year.  If they think Eli has two years, build around him let the situation with Webb play out.  I think Barkley is a great pick for them.

14 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Im not a fan of drafting RBs that high but its just my opinion.  Reggie Bush was a phenomenon in college and had a lackluster career...i say this because all these experts never talk about the fact that RBs can be busts as well.  

Only reason why I'd be hesitant about drafting the RB is if the offensive line is bad and well, the Giants don't exactly have a great one.  I'm sure it'll still work out for them.  They needed someone to take some weight off of Eli's shoulders.  He's been playing with washed up or scrub running backs for a while now.

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Im personally glad he didn’t because I think Beane would have given up a lot more to go to 2.

Id doubt he literally put fingers in his ears and refused to hear offers but sounds like it’d take a massive deal and if reports were true that we wouldn’t include the other first.... probably weren’t a ton of monster deals 

Edited by NoSaint

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

Only reason why I'd be hesitant about drafting the RB is if the offensive line is bad and well, the Giants don't exactly have a great one.  I'm sure it'll still work out for them.  They needed someone to take some weight off of Eli's shoulders.  He's been playing with washed up or scrub running backs for a while now.

Well said

2 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Man they still have Davis Webb that they drafted in the 3rd last year.  If they think Eli has two years, build around him let the situation with Webb play out.  I think Barkley is a great pick for them.

They passed on Darnold, Allen, and Rosen.  I'm thinking all are better than Webb (granted I have not seen Webb play) since a first round QB > 3rd round QB.

And two years should be enough to develop a QB.  Maybe things are going well with Webb, IDK, but I still think the Giants will regret this in about three years.

• Like (+1) 1