Does Doug Whaley Get Hired This Season?

Will Doug Whaley Work In The NFL This Season?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Does Doug Whaley Get Hired This Season?

• Yes, he will get a GM position
    • Yes, he will work in the front office in some capacity (Not as GM)
    • No, he will not work in the NFL this season

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s funny how people try to bash Whaley and his players start all over the nfl. His 2014 team was one of the most talented ones of the last 20 years. 

A.) Doug had a hand in building it, but that was mostly Buddy Nix

B.) How many of the players that Whaley drafted were selected to the Pro Bowl?  Want to compare his resume to Mike Tannenbaum’s in Miami?  They took over as GM around the same time

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s funny how people try to bash Whaley and his players start all over the nfl. His 2014 team was one of the most talented ones of the last 20 years. 

I am 100% in agreement with you C. Biscuit. Look at the contracts that his guys signed and the demand for them. Look at Sammy’s Kiko’s, Goodwin’s, Wood’s etc... The league thought highly of those guys. If he gets dinged for EJ he should get credit for the rest of that class. He was elite at under the radar FA too. The Bills weren’t mediocre because of talent; it was coaching. If you want to pin Rex on him, fine but his talent evaluation wasn’t an issue.

3 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

My personal knock against Whaley was cap space management.  During his tenure he never had to lay out huge money for a franchise type QB but managed to put the Bills in a tough cap position.

This is fair but some specifics. I didn’t mind the contract values I minded the attention to detail. There is no reason that they shouldn’t have protected themselves against a Dareus suspension. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I am 100% in agreement with you C. Biscuit. Look at the contracts that his guys signed and the demand for them. Look at Sammy’s Kiko’s, Goodwin’s, Wood’s etc... The league thought highly of those guys. If he gets dinged for EJ he should get credit for the rest of that class. He was elite at under the radar FA too. The Bills weren’t mediocre because of talent; it was coaching. If you want to pin Rex on him, fine but his talent evaluation wasn’t an issue.

Kirby -the players you mentioned are quality starters in the NFL.  But Whaley does not have any home runs on his draft resume.  None.  Name one Pro Bowl player that he drafted?

He never drafted elite players in the draft and that’s a fact. 

Whaley had no clue how to build a team....and it showed

Edited by BuffaloRush

Doug was a very good evaluator of talent but never had a chance to hire his own coach..very unfair.

Rex Ryan keep Doug out of the playoffs.

After watching Beane handle the drafting Josh Allen like an amateur (2 second round picks???) when the draft was coming right to them. My appreciation for Whaley grows. 

Just now, VADC Bills said:

Doug was a very good evaluator of talent but never had a chance to hire his own coach..very unfair.

Rex Ryan keep Doug out of the playoffs.

After watching Beane handle the drafting Josh Allen like an amateur (2 second round picks???) when the draft was coming right to them. My appreciation for Whaley grows. 

Min perhaps you’ve never heard of Sammy Watkins.  What Whaley gave up is far worse.

I’m not saying he wasn’t good at evaluating talent but his draft selections are underwhelming and that is a fact!!!

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

Min perhaps you’ve never heard of Sammy Watkins.  What Whaley gave up is far worse.

I’m not saying he wasn’t good at evaluating talent but his draft selections are underwhelming and that is a fact!!!

This is on par with Watkins probably worse because we sold the farm for QB project who's biggest asset is the ability to play in the cold.

Never have we gone into a draft with so much ammunition and come out with so little. Whaley didn't waste picks like Beane has so far.

18 minutes ago, VADC Bills said:

This is on par with Watkins probably worse because we sold the farm for QB project who's biggest asset is the ability to play in the cold.

Never have we gone into a draft with so much ammunition and come out with so little. Whaley didn't waste picks like Beane has so far.

Yeah ok.... to many GM’s trading a 1st round pick for a WR when a team has no QB was an absolute joke.  I reiterate...Whaley was not great in the draft

Whaley could be an attractive fit for a meddlesome owner who wants final say in football matters without any pushback from his GM.  Or if the team is dangerously below the cap & need someone to overspend to avoid cap penatlties.  Or if they're looking for someone to butt heads with the HC & get him to quit.  Come to think of it, he should be GM of the Browns right now.

Edited by Buffalo86
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I voted in some capacity but it is depedndent on him wanting to. He had GM interviews this offseason so I am assuming that he wants to. He can go back to the Steelers pretty easily. They think highly of him.

They think highly of his choice in adult videos, maybe.

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

He made some good pro personnel moves but also overspent in free agency and put the team in salary cap he’ll.  Then Look at drafts.  Not one player he selected as GM has ever made a Pro Bowl.  Who was his best selection - Preston Brown?  Ron Darby?  Nice players but not hits. 

He made a reckless selection in Sammy Watkins which essentially cost him his job.  Then there’s the mismanagement of the QB situation.  

Pretty much sums it up

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Kirby -the players you mentioned are quality starters in the NFL.  But Whaley does not have any home runs on his draft resume.  None.  Name one Pro Bowl player that he drafted?

He never drafted elite players in the draft and that’s a fact. 

Whaley had no clue how to build a team....and it showed

Not his fault Decoy isn't a position in the Pro Bowl.

Doug is in a tough spot.  I am sure he could take a step back and find a job but once he does that he lowers his status, on the other hand he could wait for a gm job to come his way and that might not happen.   Maybe Doug isn't the guy you feel comfortable with running the whole show but he is good enough to be part of a front office team.  I liked Doug more than most , I also think he never really got the keys to kingdom , bringing in Rex was the beginning of the end for him 

5 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Doug is in a tough spot.  I am sure he could take a step back and find a job but once he does that he lowers his status, on the other hand he could wait for a gm job to come his way and that might not happen.   Maybe Doug isn't the guy you feel comfortable with running the whole show but he is good enough to be part of a front office team.  I liked Doug more than most , I also think he never really got the keys to kingdom , bringing in Rex was the beginning of the end for him 

I agree.... he can be a valueable contributor to a front office like he was from 2010-2103.  I would not feel comfortable with him running the show.  

Director of Pro Personnel is a great spot for him

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Kind of depends if he thinks waiting it out another year might lead to more GM opportunities whereas going in at a lower level (which I always thought was the most likely outcome) might knock him out of consideration. 

I know from my agent contact that around the league the view of the job Whaley did in Buffalo is higher than the view in Buffalo.  He basically ran a .500 operation after years of the Bills being a sub .500 organisation.  That gets more credit outside than it gets here. Though the league feels similar to TBD about the Sammy trade - it is a black mark against him. 

Incredibly, the Sammy trade ended up costing us basically nothing.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I voted in some capacity but it is depedndent on him wanting to. He had GM interviews this offseason so I am assuming that he wants to. He can go back to the Steelers pretty easily. They think highly of him.

Yup.

Will his wants match an opportunity? Maybe. 

If it’s as simple as would he find an offer if his primary goal is an nfl job? Definitely. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The 2014 team was built by Whaley's better so and Whaley sabotaged his own team by forcing EJ down everyone's throats.