Week One Starter?

H2o

With the selection of Allen last night and the flaws many of us see in his game, who do you think is the week one starter? 

McCarron is a backup QB with an arm like Pennington. Nate? The same. In steps Josh Allen and his Howitzer. McCarron has starting experience and didn't fair too bad in Cincy when the opportunity arose. Peterman? Well, we all saw the outcome of that. If Josh Allen can't beat out McCarron in camp what will your mindset be? Right now the way things are I expect a defense that keeps us in games, but an offense that can't put up the points just like in years past. Even though I don't like him, I would hope the guy we traded up for is good enough to beat out both of these guys and show us all something. In my gut I feel we are headed for a long season with sub-par QB play once again. A season that will be like many of the drought where we are talking about the draft by November. 

McC starts for sure IMO. Peterman will be his backup IMO this is all about the two other QBs in the 2018 spotlight..

Allen needs to sit and be more ready for his start so IMO if the two others do well enough Allen will be shelved all of 2018.

I want Allen to start day one.  This team doesn't have the luxury of letting him  learn for 3 years like he needs, but they knew that when they took him .

Play him Immediately and let him sink or swim.  Let's go 1-15 and get some other talent in here.  

Showwhatyou got kid.  

• Like (+1) 1

McCarron or Peterman is a wash for me. Honestly, I've watched McCarron's starts and just don't see anything better than Peterman.

Peterman had that horrible start against the NFL's best pass defense, but then he bounced back in the snow game. He did the same thing in college, when he had a horrific first game, but then bounced back to be a decent college QB. It's like he just purges his jitters by figuratively puking all over the field his first game and then he's good to go.

McCarron was just...meh...in his starts. He tossed it up for AJ Green effectively. He also threw a horrible interception if I remember correctly.

I don't think Josh Allen can win a QB competition in his first year, but I'd be delighted if he did. Ideally, I want him to sit the year out and learn from Daboll and the other QBs.

I believe that Allen will start week one, it'd be great if we had a Bret Favre or Eli Manning or whatever, for Allen to sit behind, but the fact is that neither of our 2 guys has any more experience than All, if the coaches decide that starting him won't have any negative impact on his development then hell yeah, we don't need to see McCarron or Peterman on the field, get All out there and get reps.

Just now, greeneblitz said:

I believe that Allen will start week one, it'd be great if we had a Bret Favre or Eli Manning or whatever, for Allen to sit behind, but the fact is that neither of our 2 guys has any more experience than All, if the coaches decide that starting him won't have any negative impact on his development then hell yeah, we don't need to see McCarron or Peterman on the field, get All out there and get reps.

Please stop calling him "All."

What is that?

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

I don't think Allen will start week 1. He should be brought along. The offensive line is going to give up a ton of pressure and the WR core is anemic. I expect to see something similar to what the Rams did with Goff and we'll see Allen later in the year.

Allen had a terrible line and was always under pressure his whole career in college

2 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

Allen had a terrible line and was always under pressure his whole career in college

Is that a reason to start a guy week 1? His stats performing behind a bad line in college don't suggest doing the same at a higher level of football.  

I'm torn. I believe this guy is going to be a huge bust. So maybe we should start him now, let him flame out so we can start the QB search process again without burning three to four years. Or do you play AJ and try to have some semblance of a good team for the next two years. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

With the selection of Allen last night and the flaws many of us see in his game, who do you think is the week one starter? 

McCarron is a backup QB with an arm like Pennington. Nate? The same. In steps Josh Allen and his Howitzer. McCarron has starting experience and didn't fair too bad in Cincy when the opportunity arose. Peterman? Well, we all saw the outcome of that. If Josh Allen can't beat out McCarron in camp what will your mindset be? Right now the way things are I expect a defense that keeps us in games, but an offense that can't put up the points just like in years past. Even though I don't like him, I would hope the guy we traded up for is good enough to beat out both of these guys and show us all something. In my gut I feel we are headed for a long season with sub-par QB play once again. A season that will be like many of the drought where we are talking about the draft by November. 

He won't start in 2018, period. He'll be a redshirt #3 behind Peterman. This is not a knock. It's a fact that McDermott made fairly clear yesterday without coming out and saying it. He's got to be coached up.

He’ll be starting over Peterman when it comes to clipboard holding. Peterman would fumble it, Allen has the stronger arm to hold it for more hours. 

No way he sees the field this year. 

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

I'm torn. I believe this guy is going to be a huge bust. So maybe we should start him now, let him flame out so we can start the QB search process again without burning three to four years. Or do you play AJ and try to have some semblance of a good team for the next two years. 

If you want him to flame out, start him. If you want him to succeed down the road, sit him.