Not a big fan of the Combine or Draft: Really rubs me the wrong way.

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Count your blessings pal. Night, after night, after night, of soft fragrant shiny hair, silk skin curves, and giggling. The incredibly awkward feeling of being with someone who is totally focused on pleasing you. What of healthy debate I say? None of that. Instead days, months or years wasting your precious free time and squandering your youth focused on empty physical pleasure. Then in my case, legal issues with a whole bunch of bogus trumped up charges of "Impersonating a Prospect". 

It's a nightmare and it is an indictment of our society that we still subject young men to this form of abuse.

BadLands, this is one of the funniest posts I have ever read on here.  Thank you so much for belly laugh.

Now as to the thread.  I believe the OP is is just baiting us however I'll play along.   The thing that the OP is missing is that we are all judged.  If you play a physical game then you will be judged on your physical abilities.  If you are in a job where your smarts are more essential(sp?) then you will be judged on your smarts.  What else is a talent evaluator suppose to judge you on.  Being smart does not equate to being a good football player, just like being physical gifted does not equate to being a good accountant.   Depending on what you want to do in life is how you will be judged, if it's football it will be your physical abilities plain and simple.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

While all y'all are salivating over who we'll "get" or who Beane will "select", all you're really doing is perpetuating the idea that we can judge, bargain shop and compare young men based on physical traits like hips, arms, chest, jumping ability, speed and agility.

It's a meat market mentality and now we all sit in front of the screen and watch a Hollywood atmosphere (cameras, red carpets, interviews, fancy clothes) as young men (black, white, Fiji islands and latinos) get "selected" by "the man". I don't put Beane or Pegula in this category...they get a pass. But guys like Dorsey, Bellichick, Gettleman, Jerry Jones and coaches like Pete Carroll, Andy Reid and Mike Tomlin are choosing men who will be forced into service for a team or city for whom they may not wish to work.

Next thing you know, they'll be checking the players teeth, or making them carry loads of bricks on their backs with some goofy reason like "we need to check the teeth because it helps us understand their hygiene practices" or "carrying bricks on their back is a sign of their ability to carry a team when they are down in the 4th quarter".

I feel bad for these young men. They don't understand the symbolic nature of what they have gone through. The first thing that happens when they get "selected" is they put on a team hat....talk about branding. It's ridiculous. I probably won't even watch and I would suggest if you have even a rudimentary understanding of "human rights" you would do the same.

Peace out!

Better off putting all the players names in a hat and go around to each team and let them pick 1 out of the hat. Do for each round. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

So seeing you mentioned indentured servitude. Do you like NCAA sports?

Guess the all volunteer military is the same as you are saying with the NFL right?

Men and women join the military because they have a sense of pride in their country, they wish to serve and protect our nation.

Young men are drafted into the NFL based solely on physical traits that perpetuate the idea that "this young fella has strong hips, he'll do just fine in the trenches of the offensive line" so the flips a quarter to the commissioner and walks off the stage with his new prize. Not only is it degrading, but it reinforces a generational stigma that we can bid and buy people to bleed for us based solely on their physical traits. It's a meat market I tell ya. I've already decided to make some posters and walk around my neighbor's house tomorrow night. He's having a big DRAFT Party (I told him it's nothing more than "A Human Trafficking Party"). So I have one poster that reads "Judging Bodies? Welcome to 1833" and another that reads "Give Me Liberty and Freedom from Human Auctions". I think my neighborhood will support me.

24 minutes ago, SinatraSinger said:

BadLands, this is one of the funniest posts I have ever read on here.  Thank you so much for belly laugh.

Now as to the thread.  I believe the OP is is just baiting us however I'll play along.   The thing that the OP is missing is that we are all judged.  If you play a physical game then you will be judged on your physical abilities.  If you are in a job where your smarts are more essential(sp?) then you will be judged on your smarts.  What else is a talent evaluator suppose to judge you on.  Being smart does not equate to being a good football player, just like being physical gifted does not equate to being a good accountant.   Depending on what you want to do in life is how you will be judged, if it's football it will be your physical abilities plain and simple.

Nothing you say will convince me otherwise. I appreciate your argument, just don't agree with it. The combine and the draft could be the most cruel and inhuman selection device I have ever encountered. Even Beauty pageants allow for a lengthy question and answer session where the woman's mind and intellect are put on full display. The NFL combine and draft are nothing more than gigantic Flea Markets where stuffy old men offer quarters and "picks" for the rights to human beings. 

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Your posts are well thought out and persuasive. Still, the combine and the draft are nothing more than a talent show to assess and bid on the best physical specimens who can "get the work done that needs to get done" for a bunch of stuffy guys in suits. Money shouldn't even factor into the equation...it's a red heron.

Money is a red herring.  Take away the money and the talent show doesn't exist.

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Men and women join the military because they have a sense of pride in their country, they wish to serve and protect our nation.

Young men are drafted into the NFL based solely on physical traits that perpetuate the idea that "this young fella has strong hips, he'll do just fine in the trenches of the offensive line" so the flips a quarter to the commissioner and walks off the stage with his new prize. Not only is it degrading, but it reinforces a generational stigma that we can bid and buy people to bleed for us based solely on their physical traits. It's a meat market I tell ya. I've already decided to make some posters and walk around my neighbor's house tomorrow night. He's having a big DRAFT Party (I told him it's nothing more than "A Human Trafficking Party"). So I have one poster that reads "Judging Bodies? Welcome to 1833" and another that reads "Give Me Liberty and Freedom from Human Auctions". I think my neighborhood will support me.

Nothing you say will convince me otherwise. I appreciate your argument, just don't agree with it. The combine and the draft could be the most cruel and inhuman selection device I have ever encountered. Even Beauty pageants allow for a lengthy question and answer session where the woman's mind and intellect are put on full display. The NFL combine and draft are nothing more than gigantic Flea Markets where stuffy old men offer quarters and "picks" for the rights to human beings. 

Fergy -

Some say you're just baiting people.   I hope so, because if you're serious about this you're way off base.   Several posters here have explained aspects of it, the fundamental point being that these men who are getting drafted are completely free to participate or not.   You may find it offensive, but if the participants don't find it so, I don't see the problem. 

The real clue that you're way off base, however, is this:   "Men and women join the military because they have a sense of pride in their country, they wish to serve and protect our nation."   If you actually believe that, you have been hopelessly brain-washed. 

If men and women joined the military because of pride in their country, the enlistees in the armed forces would come proportionally from all walks of life and all socio-economic levels.   They don't.   The military is disproportionately populated, at the non-officer level, by people whose best opportunity to make something of themselves is to join the military.   At the officer level, many join because it's a great career opportunity, particularly because you can retire in 40s, collect a nice pension and move right into a second career.   I recently heard about a guy who's joining the Marines because white male veterans have a significant edge over white male non-veterans getting into Harvard Business School. 

Neither your take on the draft nor on the military has much connection to reality.  

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

If you really think these football players are drafted soled on physical traits you really are special.

AND MUCH LIKE Football the Military is VOLUNTARY and have every STRICT Physical requirements.

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Fergy -

Some say you're just baiting people.   I hope so, because if you're serious about this you're way off base.   Several posters here have explained aspects of it, the fundamental point being that these men who are getting drafted are completely free to participate or not.   You may find it offensive, but if the participants don't find it so, I don't see the problem. 

The real clue that you're way off base, however, is this:   "Men and women join the military because they have a sense of pride in their country, they wish to serve and protect our nation."   If you actually believe that, you have been hopelessly brain-washed. 

If men and women joined the military because of pride in their country, the enlistees in the armed forces would come proportionally from all walks of life and all socio-economic levels.   They don't.   The military is disproportionately populated, at the non-officer level, by people whose best opportunity to make something of themselves is to join the military.   At the officer level, many join because it's a great career opportunity, particularly because you can retire in 40s, collect a nice pension and move right into a second career.   I recently heard about a guy who's joining the Marines because white male veterans have a significant edge over white male non-veterans getting into Harvard Business School. 

Neither your take on the draft nor on the military has much connection to reality.  

100% true.  Look at the races and socioeconomics of the Enlisted side of the house compared to the Officer side.

OOO and for perspective this is from a 19 year in Military Officer (LTC)

Edited by MAJBobby

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Geometrically speaking, when two lines are parallel, they are NOT the same line.  

Give me five minutes, and I'll give you parallels between Joseph Stalin and Barack Obama.   Parallels don't make Obama a butcher.  

Just because there are parallels between slave auctions and the draft doesn't make the draft a slave auction.  It's far from it.  

Of course not but the similarties are there. Slaves dont make millions of dollars lol

My favorite part, “I PROBABLY won’t even watch.” 

He feels so strongly about how terrible it is but may still partake. Way to be super non-comittal but still try and tell everyone else not to watch. Johnny joke. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

14 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

My favorite part, “I PROBABLY won’t even watch.” 

He feels so strongly about how terrible it is but may still partake. Way to be super non-comittal but still try and tell everyone else not to watch. Johnny joke. 

I'm currently watching a Netflix movie about a 1970's draft where players were actually asked to remove their shirts and turn around (spin) for the owners. Are you kidding me? I probably won't watch one minute of this fiasco tomorrow night and you know why? Because I will be putting myself in the same category of those who will come on here Friday morning and B word and moan about how they didn't get the "body" that they wanted for the team...not the person, or the personality or the brain that we needed, but the physical torso that would make our team better. #shallow  So I created a few new signs with my daughters and my girl scout troop: One says "Keep your draft, we want real men" and another sign that reads "$1 or $1 million dollars...how much is your pride worth?"  We'll be picketing tomorrow at 6pm in our neighborhood. Join us if you wish.

100's of millions, nay... Billions of dollars...

I don't feel bad for them.

I'm hoping this thread is a joke, but coming from the architect of the "Orton WOF" thread I'm guessing it's sincere.

These kids don't have to play football, you know it's their choice, right? 

9 hours ago, SinatraSinger said:

Thanks for letting me know Frank :)

10 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Your posts are well thought out and persuasive. Still, the combine and the draft are nothing more than a talent show to assess and bid on the best physical specimens who can "get the work done that needs to get done" for a bunch of stuffy guys in suits. Money shouldn't even factor into the equation...it's a red heron.

Red heron?  You mean herring?

Just now, BillnutinHouston said:

OP, since you don't like the draft, what is your proposed alternative for allocating college men to NFL teams?

Great question: The NFL sign ups should be based on questionnaires that high school and college kids fill out and submit. In those forms they will be asked questions such as "What are your plans post-football?" or  "What was the last book you read and why?"  They would then submit a 10 minute video where they create the best play they can imagine on a white  board (or black board) to demonstrate ingenuity and scholarly ability. Then, they need to submit an affidavit that they can run three miles, do 100 situps and listen to directions from coaches. The affidavit can be notarized by any person able to do so but not within the state where they reside or from their college. Finally, they need to appear in an interview and explain why they should be selected to the NFL. If it is heartfelt and genuine, then they get to choose where they want to play (rather than being forced to play in a system or for a team that will make them uncomfortable). Pretty simple really.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I'm currently watching a Netflix movie about a 1970's draft where players were actually asked to remove their shirts and turn around (spin) for the owners. Are you kidding me? I probably won't watch one minute of this fiasco tomorrow night and you know why? Because I will be putting myself in the same category of those who will come on here Friday morning and B word and moan about how they didn't get the "body" that they wanted for the team...not the person, or the personality or the brain that we needed, but the physical torso that would make our team better. #shallow  So I created a few new signs with my daughters and my girl scout troop: One says "Keep your draft, we want real men" and another sign that reads "$1 or $1 million dollars...how much is your pride worth?"  We'll be picketing tomorrow at 6pm in our neighborhood. Join us if you wish.

Will there be cookies? 

1)They gave up basically a late 2nd rounder for Tyrod. 

2) We May Need to Resign Ourselves to Allen at 5

3)  It has been reported often that the only QB to temp the Giants at 2 is Darnold.

4) Josh Rosen Responds to Character Concerns

These are just some of the gems from our beloved board where many posters are (again) treating these players like chattel. "Hey boss...hey boss...does ya think we can get us Allen at 5 even though we don't quite know if he can recite the alphabet?" or "That Rosen boy...he done sure has a good arm, but he's a talkative fella. Best put him down a notch or two".  And then there's Tyrod (back to Page 1). He was sold into QB'ing the Browns for a 3rd round pick and a sample size of dental floss. This league is getting ridiculous.

13 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Great question: The NFL sign ups should be based on questionnaires that high school and college kids fill out and submit. In those forms they will be asked questions such as "What are your plans post-football?" or  "What was the last book you read and why?"  They would then submit a 10 minute video where they create the best play they can imagine on a white  board (or black board) to demonstrate ingenuity and scholarly ability. Then, they need to submit an affidavit that they can run three miles, do 100 situps and listen to directions from coaches. The affidavit can be notarized by any person able to do so but not within the state where they reside or from their college. Finally, they need to appear in an interview and explain why they should be selected to the NFL. If it is heartfelt and genuine, then they get to choose where they want to play (rather than being forced to play in a system or for a team that will make them uncomfortable). Pretty simple really.

Well I see you have this very well thought out.  Kudos.